v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I agree about Bielik. Looks like the Thorne we had on loan but better at dribbling.

Don't you think Bielik and Clarke both look like they should be crap though. They don't look like they could play. Watching Bielik dig himself out the corner last night and when Clarke dribbled into the box from the left wing at Huddersfield... it gave me that feeling of when a keeper dummies a striker or Barker knocked it past a striker. Excitement with a slight panic. 

They just look like Mick McCarthy center backs

Going to have to get used to it though because they look like they have potential to be as good as anything we've had in those positions for some time. A Thorne on loan was a beautiful thing and Keogh has always been a better all round player than his CB partners. Clarke could possibly be bett... I can't say it. As good.

The reason the phrase 'good feet for a big man' exists. We just aren't used to big units like Clarke and Bielik to be any cop with the ball at their feet. It's almost too good to be true that we have 2 CBs and a DM now with real composure and skill on the ball.

I've only seen the highlights so far, waiting for the full game to come up, but Knight looks like the next academy lad to be pushing through. I've been impressed with him at u18s/23s levels, real mature performances. Love the look of Buchanan, he really handled the Girona preseason game with aplomb, and a stunning goal here. Bielik looks like he could be worth a lot of money, excited to see him in midfield.

The goal really was good. Don't care that it was 'only' Scunthorpe. Knight and Lowe do really well to retain possession, Evans with a great ball, then sublime touches and finish from Buchanan. 

Must do wonders for the mentality of the academy when you have so many players being given great opportunities to showcase themselves.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Think Bird needs a loan away for the season. L1...... he needs a full season under his belt elsewhere, think it’ll do him no end of good.

Evans coming on changed the game for me. Liking him more and more 

I know it's perhaps too soon to tell, but are we already seeing the effects of our manager in Evans?

Cocu improves players, and since he's come in, Evans has looked different gravy. All of a sudden he's got a bit of bite about him, can spread the ball much more confidently and his positioning has improved massively.

35 minutes ago, Franks Tanked said:

I spoke to a Charlton fan about Bielek. He said 'with him in the midfield you can play with just 9 player's'.

Looking forward to him being a regular starter. 

This is exactly what i feel he could be like, just sit and mop things up, recycling the play when he needs to and driving with the ball to progress us up the pitch quicker. 

I think someone like that will really give full backs license to get forward and the two in front of him, give them a freedom to be more useful in the final 3rd. 

Something like

Bogle Keogh Clarke Lowe (i'm not Malone's biggest fan)

Bielik

Holmes Dowell

Waghorn Mariott Lawrence

On the let back situation, i think for saying he is out of position at right back, Lowe looked okay last night. I'm hoping with having to think about his positioning a bit more, he will use that to his advantage when switching back to left back. He could though, quickly find Buchanan above him in the pecking order after that performance last night. 

Duane Holmes in the away end again last night. Back to see some old friends no doubt.

Bielik is a beast and was superb last night but pushed close by Jason Knight. Agree that Bird could perhaps do with a League 1 loan to toughen him up and get some street smarts.

Might be in a minority but I am not sure about Marriott. Didn't like him digging out Knight last night for not giving him a pass when Knight picked the correct option. Daughter has him in same pot as Martin, bad attitude.

Shinnie didn't grab his chance, neither did Paterson although both were tidy. Bennett was a bit head down, bull in a china shop. Sibley and Whitaker lively in cameos. Buchanan won't score many better, he smashed it across a keeper who had been good on the night.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I know it's perhaps too soon to tell, but are we already seeing the effects of our manager in Evans?

Cocu improves players, and since he's come in, Evans has looked different gravy. All of a sudden he's got a bit of bite about him, can spread the ball much more confidently and his positioning has improved massively.

For me defensively, we’ve improved massively, there seems to be no panic from set pieces or crosses now. Evans looks revitalised for me..... as you say, he look like he can improve anyone. 

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

On the other hand how much of it is down to being fully fit now and having more confidence after his performances at Brizzle and Swansea last season though? 

12 minutes ago, cool_as_custard said:

Might be in a minority but I am not sure about Marriott. Didn't like him digging out Knight last night for not giving him a pass when Knight picked the correct option. Daughter has him in same pot as Martin, bad attitude.

He's a striker. He wants the ball, and he will more than likely believe he's in a better position to shoot from what he can see. Mountain out of a mole hill there.

If his attitude is bad, why would he celebrate when Buchanan slots?

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

He's a striker. He wants the ball, and he will more than likely believe he's in a better position to shoot from what he can see. Mountain out of a mole hill there.

If his attitude is bad, why would he celebrate when Buchanan slots?

Quite right.

Every striker complains when they dont get the ball and a goal isn't scored. It's in their nature. Rightly so.

I can only think of one striker who never complained, off the top of my head. Emile Heskey. And while he had a decent career, I doubt many strikers are aspiring to be just like him ? 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I do hope so. I have been waiting for that man for a long time now. 

Question is do we nickname him 'The New George Thorne' or 'The New Igor*'??

For me I'm hoping he's everything we knew/wanted George to be and hoping for an impact/influence like Igor.

*not positionwise, he'll be a DM/CM permanently I'm sure

44 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Question is do we nickname him 'The New George Thorne' or 'The New Igor*'??

For me I'm hoping he's everything we knew/wanted George to be and hoping for an impact/influence like Igor.

*not positionwise, he'll be a DM/CM permanently I'm sure

Let's hope he is so good he won't be the new anybody. He'll be the legend himself.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Quite right.

Every striker complains when they dont get the ball and a goal isn't scored. It's in their nature. Rightly so.

I can only think of one striker who never complained, off the top of my head. Emile Heskey. And while he had a decent career, I doubt many strikers are aspiring to be just like him ? 

An England international and scored in probably the 2nd biggest win in England football history.... and a shed load of goals.

I hope a lot aspire to be him

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

An England international and scored in probably the 2nd biggest win in England football history.... and a shed load of goals.

I hope a lot aspire to be him

As I said, he had a decent career.

But 137 goals in 700 senior appearances. I think there are a ton of people ahead him on any goalscorer's lists of who they want to emulate. Was just my point.

I liked him as player; but he lacked the "attitude" that plenty of strikers have, and I don't think its any real coincidence that a player who lacked that attitude had low numbers by comparison to his peers at the high level he played at.

Watching the highlights back, Marriott's reactions get more aggressive looking as the game goes on and I think it was just a build up of frustration. Knight didn't react at all to him at the end other than to offer a hand of apology, I don't think he thought that reaction was particularly untoward. He's probably like that in training.

I must've been a tad distracted as I hadn't seen Paterson catching a backpass and then hitting it straight at the keeper. Marriott was busting a gut to get past him for a layoff and I think that moment took his frustration to another level.
I recall him jumping about and flailing his arms in annoyance while attempting to press their defenders a few times after that. ? 

at the game last night , Knight and Buchanan did exceptionally well , great save from Hamer , Shinnie played well , big shout out to Curtis Davies , good performance and led the team really well , speaking to and encouraging the younger lads , well done Curtis , great to see you back

Archived