v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Norman said:

Max Lowe was brilliant.

Buchanan struggled but great goal.

Shinnie must be right footed, not left. Dire set-pieces. Plays more crab football than Butterfield

Knight played alright.

Struck by how these 4 opinions are polar opposite of most people on here who have been watching a stream. Shows how people can see a game differently.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

the worst part of the game was that we saw very little production out of our attacking players. It concerns me as the questions remain whether there is enough goals in this team for a sustained promotion push.

That's been a constant in all our games so far.

But if Cocu can find a way to play Marriott and Waghorn together, then I am confident goals will flow. 

10 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

I think a few of you are getting carried away with tonight. We beat Scunthorpe in League Two 1-0, who have conceded 6 goals against Cheltenham and Swindon in their last two games. 

Yes, some of the kids played well. Knight and Buchanan looked good, Bielik more so. However, I think the actual performance is being overlooked by the fact that we won 1-0. If we'd have drawn 0-0 and lost on pens but showed the same performance, I'm confident many you wouldn't have felt the same. 

Anyway, I wasn't intending on being negative of the overall performance. I was just surprised to say so many people compliment Lowe, when in my view he gave the ball away too much, didn't offer any width, gave away numerous silly fouls and couldn't deliver a cross on his right foot. Again, like I said, this isn't his fault as he's being played out of position. I just wouldn't see him as a replacement for Bogle, although maybe he's our only option? 

On face value you are completely right, we only just scraped through and the lack of goals/chances does concern me a whole lot; BUT, on the flip side we were a team where 7 youngsters got on the pitch and the rest (pretty much) were playing their first competitive game this season with players they’ve never played with before. We’re alright. 

Think Bird needs a loan away for the season. L1...... he needs a full season under his belt elsewhere, think it’ll do him no end of good.

Evans coming on changed the game for me. Liking him more and more 

All things considered, i think that was a very impressive performance last night. 11 changes, and 4 debuts (plus 2 first starts). We dominated the ball, especially in the second half and even with are 'kids' out still looked, as we should, head and shoulders above Scunthorpe. 

Bielik tried a little too hard for the first quarter of the game (ish) but after that looked really composed and i think he will look even better when that composure and drive is sitting in midfield. Towards the end he had the ball at our corner and without even dropping a shoulder he just turned away form his man with power and pace, looks really promising. 

I genuinely get the feeling he could be one of those players that could man the midfield on his own. 

10 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

I was just surprised to say so many people compliment Lowe, when in my view he gave the ball away too much, didn't offer any width, gave away numerous silly fouls and couldn't deliver a cross on his right foot. Again, like I said, this isn't his fault as he's being played out of position. I just wouldn't see him as a replacement for Bogle, although maybe he's our only option? 

This is the main difference with watching on a screen and being there. Not trying to sound game snobby, but you can see more off the ball (there are advantages to watching on the screen than being there). 

Lowe was pretty much always on the touchline the whole time we were attacking, especially when the ball was on the right side. He was trying to draw their left back out to create space in between the LB and LCB for our RW. 

Also Lowe was up against Adam Hammill, who is a very good player that is very tricky and has bags of experience, and I am surprised is playing in League 2. I thought he did very well against him. 

Lowe did cross with his right foot and it was a dangerous cross, but there wasn't really much point us crossing from open play last night. Their 2 CBs were both over 6 foot and Marriott was going to struggle in the air against them, so we had be more inventive with how we put the ball in, wait until we had more players in the box, which Lowe did at times by coming back on to his left foot. 

1 minute ago, Sidd10 said:

All things considered, i think that was a very impressive performance last night. 11 changes, and 4 debuts (plus 2 first starts). We dominated the ball, especially in the second half and even with are 'kids' out still looked, as we should, head and shoulders above Scunthorpe. 

Bielik tried a little too hard for the first quarter of the game (ish) but after that looked really composed and i think he will look even better when that composure and drive is sitting in midfield. Towards the end he had the ball at our corner and without even dropping a shoulder he just turned away form his man with power and pace, looks really promising. 

I genuinely get the feeling he could be one of those players that could man the midfield on his own. 

I do hope so. I have been waiting for that man for a long time now. 

I agree about Bielik. Looks like the Thorne we had on loan but better at dribbling.

Don't you think Bielik and Clarke both look like they should be crap though. They don't look like they could play. Watching Bielik dig himself out the corner last night and when Clarke dribbled into the box from the left wing at Huddersfield... it gave me that feeling of when a keeper dummies a striker or Barker knocked it past a striker. Excitement with a slight panic. 

They just look like Mick McCarthy center backs

Going to have to get used to it though because they look like they have potential to be as good as anything we've had in those positions for some time. A Thorne on loan was a beautiful thing and Keogh has always been a better all round player than his CB partners. Clarke could possibly be bett... I can't say it. As good.

6 hours ago, Rample said:

Did you just use radio Derby and positive in the same sentence? 

Yep, they’ve been getting loads of stick already this season for being negative.  The summary I heard at the end was very positive so credit where it’s due.

45 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

I spoke to a Charlton fan about Bielek. He said 'with him in the midfield you can play with just 9 player's'.

Looking forward to him being a regular starter. 

Archived