Sign in to follow this  
Rample

v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

25 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Not saying this isn't true but FFS try to temper your opinion with something positive for a change?

Tonight was a game to showcase what the young lads could do, not criticise them for the things thay can't yet do.

I think a few of you are getting carried away with tonight. We beat Scunthorpe in League Two 1-0, who have conceded 6 goals against Cheltenham and Swindon in their last two games. 

Yes, some of the kids played well. Knight and Buchanan looked good, Bielik more so. However, I think the actual performance is being overlooked by the fact that we won 1-0. If we'd have drawn 0-0 and lost on pens but showed the same performance, I'm confident many you wouldn't have felt the same. 

Anyway, I wasn't intending on being negative of the overall performance. I was just surprised to say so many people compliment Lowe, when in my view he gave the ball away too much, didn't offer any width, gave away numerous silly fouls and couldn't deliver a cross on his right foot. Again, like I said, this isn't his fault as he's being played out of position. I just wouldn't see him as a replacement for Bogle, although maybe he's our only option? 

35 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Not saying this isn't true but FFS try to temper your opinion with something positive for a change?

Tonight was a game to showcase what the young lads could do, not criticise them for the things thay can't yet do.

Feel free to offer your own views, rather than just shoot down others for expressing theirs

31 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Knight was very good and Bielek is like a Rolls Royce. Stimacesque with his calmness. Thought Lowe did well and Buchanan grew into the game. Good to get Marriott minutes. The older heads were steady. Still concerned that this group lacks the spark but in saying that Holmes is still missing.

He wasn't missing. He was in the middle of the away end again! Duane Holmes is a Ram! 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Feel free to offer your own views, rather than just shoot down others for expressing theirs

Oh a 2nd post quoting the same post?

I liked you first response because you stood your ground and clarified your intentions, but then you made another post playing the martyr?

All my own views have been expressed by other posters tbh, not much to add personally, just a voice lost in the hubbub of positivity (not a bad way to be) that you seemed to be fighting against what was overall a positive night!?

I guess I'm a bit like you really in that I often only feel the need to voice an opinion unless if I think other people are going overboard one way in theirs, but I try to save that opinion for a few weeks later not in the midst of the views in a fanbase enjoying an enjoyable victory in which we played numerous youth players who didn't look out of place.

No disrepsepct meant, I just want you to look on the bright side not overanalyse the specifics, there'll be loads of time for that later in the season!

Edited by Coconut

Chuffed to get a dominant win (bit more clinical infant of goal would have been nice, obviously) with such a young side. So many academy lads in there. Well done to all of them, well done to Curtis on his return, well done to Bielik on what sounds like a seriously impressive debut, well done to Hamer for that save on debut when it really mattered to the result, and well done to Phil Cocu for optimising the selection and getting us through.

Half of me thinks its a shame about forest. Distraction. Other half thinks, bring it on. I'm favouring that half.

Did ok tonight didn't we ? 

*Dominated the game /possession 

*Just need to be more clinic in that final third , it'll come 

*Bielik is a monster , if he was only 75% fit tonight I can't wait to see him at full speed 

*Knights special and I think we're going to see a lot of him this season 

Finally were on holiday for Forest I'm building up the courage to tell the young Riddings 🙈

Interesting how opinions polarise. I’m a fan of lowe’s but didn’t think he was great tonight. Did some good stuff going forward but looked shaky defensively. Couple of times her tried to burst past the winger but got tackled etc.

Thought Beilik also looked shaky first 10 mins, but once settled was fantastic; we looked a threat once he started pinging passes, and he put in some great challenges even on a yellow.

The composure of him, shinnie and evans second half was a catalyst for being on the front foot. Buchanan was having a very assured game and then scored a lovely finish. Knight really impressed too. Several lost causes he got corners or throws out of through trickery and nous, as well as good general play.

Big fan of sibley too, but echo the sentiments that he just needs to take the edge off a bit and be cleverer about it. Hamer save was astounding, thought it was in, so nice start for him too.

Only slight negatives, aside from the symptoms of changing a full 11, were Bennett and Bird didn’t make much of a mark, aside from one run in the second half. And Marriott looked a bit rusty and stroppy for some reason.

Could have backfired but ended up being a useful exercise. Another small club away in the next round though.

Bielik is a monster.

Young lads looked good, especially Knight and Buchanan.

Davies looks much improved on pre season, much better with his feet.

All three attackers guilty of trying to hard and potentially overthinking it, clear that Marriott is desperate for a goal.

No qualms about Lowe at RB.

Just got back.

Bielik different class. George Thorne in his prime with pace. Great buy.

Max Lowe was brilliant.

Buchanan struggled but great goal.

Shinnie must be right footed, not left. Dire set-pieces. Plays more crab football than Butterfield

Knight played alright.

Sibley is a dirty Bamford, but obviously has talent.

'Mason Bennett, never has control' should be the chant. He struggles to control the ball at the best of times.

Max Bird struggled. 

Curtis was Curtis. Not great at playing out, but great defensively.

George Evans tried to pick the tempo of our play up, and did alright.

Marriott looked sharp. Great movement.

Paterson was busy defensively. Probably tried to hard in attack but he's a good winger at Championship level.

Good result. Must remember that it was a thrown together team short on match fitness and experience. 

I've just got back. Not the worst drive home, but getting out the car park was painful to say the least. Anyway, on to the game, it had a lot of positives and a handful of negatives.

I haven't read through the thread, but I imagine the positives have all been mentioned: 

The young players in the squad - Buchanan, for me, is a very talented CB. I know he's flipped between CB/LB in the past, but you could definitely see the CB in him for the most part of the night. He wasn't a very composed or natural crosser, so I'm quite glad that he decided to hit it when he did. It's a night for him to remember. He's clearly a tidy footballer, who does possess the ability to play at a high level and develop throughout the season. Knight caught the eye, firstly it was just his ability on the ball and his ability to battle for every second ball. He seemed to take on more responsibility as the game grew on. Bird, who obviously was subbed at halftime, I think did well when the ball was at his feet but he doesn't seem to have that presence on the field. Sibley and Whittaker showed genuine moments of ability once they got on, particularly the former who I still believe could well become a first team player for us this season. The only issue he has is Knight is also showing to be a very capable prospect. 

Bielik - It was good to get a proper glimpse of our new potential record signing. It's fair to say he's a class above what we had out on the field. He won everything in the air, everything within his vicinity and his ability on the ball is second to none. Excellent all round. When he stepped up for that free kick, I wouldn't have put it past him on that showing. 

Lowe - It can't be too overstated how unnatural playing right back is for him, but I think he's been put there with the short term future in mind as we don't know where Bogle is yet. Lowe is very clearly left footed, he clearly isn't comfortable, yet he still did a good job and put some reasonable crosses in on his right foot. He's developed into a very good player, my only worry is that Celtic will throw the kitchen sink at us to get him. 

Evans - He's a player that I've always noticed as 'passive' in the way he goes about the game. Not much grit about him. I think today was the first time that he's made me second guess that, because he certainly seemed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He's been very good all pre-season and had a solid start. I thought today was one of his best in a Derby shirt, certainly with a view of how much more potential he maybe has in the locker. 

The negatives, unfortunately there are a couple: 

The forwards - Marriott, Paterson, Bennett - all had below average games. Marriott worked hard, running channels and showed some nice moments but ultimately was always running away from the ball. Paterson, who was handed a chance of a life time on a plate and missed it, looked mentally tired, void of quality. Bennett had some heavy touches, put himself about a bit, but never got himself in the game. There is a reason it was 1-0 and not 5-0. 

Davies - I can't comment on his defensive game, because it seemed like Bielik was here, there & everywhere, but he played far too many 'hopeful' long balls over the top to Marriott. I think the first half was probably due to the lack of option from BIrd, but he does seem to have route 1 ingrained into him. It's not the way we want to play, certainly not when Marriott is the only outlet. I have to admit that on one occasion it nearly led to something, although the other 10/12 led to very little. 

Shinnie - I was hoping for more from him, something similar to what Evans came on and produced, but he just didn't seem to have it in his locker tonight. Shame as I was hoping that he could've played himself into a first team spot. 

Ultimately, the best part of the game was that we got to see a dominant display from one of our key players - Bielik - and the worst part of the game was that we saw very little production out of our attacking players. It concerns me as the questions remain whether there is enough goals in this team for a sustained promotion push. I can saw for an absolute certainty that our defensive side is up to scratch. 

Finally back...

Bielik (who I’ve now coined Ian Beale-ik) is an absolute Rolls-Royce. He’s going to be majestic in midfield. 

The young lads are such a joy to watch. There’s no fear, egos or lack of want and it’s a breath of fresh air. 

I sincerely apologise to anyone near me for the amount of times I attempted to start the Jason Knight chant before it did finally get going. It’s a small claim to fame, but I’m keeping it. 

It’s not much for us fans, but for those young lads hearing their name ring out it will be the best moment of their young lives and we shouldn’t forget that. Chuffed for them. 

Finally, the EFL Cup draw is a fix and it’s highly annoying the kids won’t get another chance because of it. 

Just back after negotiating roadworks.

Bielik will have been talked about but for a three quarter fit debut, even against a lower league side, that was about as assured as you get. Big, mobile, skillful on the ball and with a strong tackle as well as a good range of passing. If he can repeat that at a higher level then we have a proper player on our hands. Just lacked a goal.

Well done to the scouting team who have picked him and Clarke and ditto to all the young players who played today. They all did some good things; not one of them let the Academy down or themselves. A night to remember for Lee Buchanan. Interesting to hear Cocu on about him afterwards and even more interesting to see how better he might be in a years time.

And well done to Cocu too. He makes changes during the game that have an impact - moved Mason's position and Paterson's and Shinnie's in the first half and we and they immediately looked better; and he's not afraid to make early substitutions - Evans for Bird at halftime and we were on the front foot and never really looked back.

Lots to work on but this is not a bad start to the season.

Just got back in. 

-Bielik already looks a wonderful signing. Really, really impressed. Won everything in the air, extremely composed with the ball at his feet. Monster.

-Knight dropped a fantastic performance. Pulled the strings in the middle, got around the park. Great game. Should be in contention for a slot in the midfield 3 for me.

-Lowe, out of position, but I liked what I saw. Got up and down the sides well, always tried to be positive, a little too left footed for that position though.

-Buchanan, worked really hard, great finish. Looks a decent prospect.

All in all, a good work out, a good way to include some of the younger players, and a positive night all round. Fans were really good too.

5 hours ago, Kinder said:

Well done tonight lads. Great experience for the younger players and sounds like Knight especially will be involved with the first team this year.  I listened to most of it on Radio Derby and to be fair to them, what I heard was pretty positive.

Did you just use radio Derby and positive in the same sentence? 

Quite amusing that the football league weekly podcast said (twice in consecutive weeks) Cocu might not be the right manager to bring through youth players..... 7 academy graduates tonight, several teenagers 

7 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Chuffed to get a dominant win (bit more clinical infant of goal would have been nice, obviously) with such a young side. So many academy lads in there. Well done to all of them, well done to Curtis on his return, well done to Bielik on what sounds like a seriously impressive debut, well done to Hamer for that save on debut when it really mattered to the result, and well done to Phil Cocu for optimising the selection and getting us through.

Half of me thinks its a shame about forest. Distraction. Other half thinks, bring it on. I'm favouring that half.

Well we did play the kids