v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

5 minutes ago, Shang said:

Max Bird is a Harry Winks type, not much of an attacker or a defender but keeps things ticking along and allowing others to have the confidence to push forwards. Throughout the half we've had the two centre backs come in front of the attackers intercepting the ball and starting attacks because Bird is covering for them. 

But winks is accomplished on the ball. He receives it from tough positions and never gives it away, he also spreads the play forward and has a good tackle. Bird isn't even close to as good as Winks.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some decent performances Beilik, Buchanan, Shinnie, Knight and Davies being the pick of he bunch.

Paterson and Bennett have been a bit ineffective although improved after switching wings. 

Marriotts not got a lot of support but he’s trying to find opening and get in behind. The rest have done ok.

Just now, Andicis said:

But winks is accomplished on the ball. He receives it from tough positions and never gives it away, he also spreads the play forward and has a good tackle. Bird isn't even close to as good as Winks.

I didn't say he was as good.

1 minute ago, Shang said:

He's stretched play with his movement and drive to the byline. I agree we're playing far too narrow on the whole; they're hard to play through as they have 9 players behind the ball. But it's clear our best chances have come from Max Lowe being deep and wide.

Yes he is sometimes running on the inside channel, but its because the wingers are the ones on the outside whipping it in on their stronger foot. He's playing to his strengths in a difficult position but he's still got the Scunthorpe left back in trouble, who's constantly falling over with minimal contact so he can have a bit of a breather.

Agreed, he's playing to his strengths. He's doing nothing wrong with what tools he has available to him. If we are judging him as a LB playing at RB filling in, I'd say he's doing a good job. If you judge him purely on his ability to play RB, it's not good.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

So the winger needs to be the one to create the width and stay wide? Bennett should be good at that.

Then we're completely changing our system to compensate for not having a right footed RB. 

I'd like to see Evans given a go at RB. Lets just hope Bogle is fit for Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

I would add his passing is also very good. Yes he has a limited right foot, but he is out of position. With no Bogle, Wisdom or Holmes I would say he is our best option left.

I would prefer him on the left in place of Malone, him and Bogle down the flanks with Keigh and Clarke CB with Bielik holding would be so strong in the champ.

Add Anya in there and we’re playing our 5th choice RB. For 5th choice, he’s doing very well

Just now, Andicis said:

But the whole thing about Winks is he's technically brilliant. He's not physically good. Bird is Winks without being technically brilliant, aka he's a bit poo. 

Yeah I appreciate how good Winks is, all I was saying is that Bird is a similar type of player. Winks was the best example I could think of at the time.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I disagree with folks saying he only has a left foot. 

Lowe's right foot is alright, his passing game is great and its the foot he tends to score with. But his crosses are definitely less consistent with his right. If he gets chance to cut back onto his left to cross, which he did once, you can see marked difference.

He's much stronger with his right foot than most of our players are with their weak feet.

It might be good but he is certainly saving it then. So many time he should've crossed with right just to switch it back to his left...

Even so he has been our best so far.

Just now, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

I like the look of Bird, still has some developing to do and could probably do with a season loan to get experience. 

In what position? He's not got the physicality to be a holding midfielder, and doesn't have the technical ability to be an attacking mid. Nothing player.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Which is why Winks plays for one of the best teams in the country and Bird is trying to break through into a 2nd division side

Archived