£4.50 for a pint of Carling

rad1919

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/08/2019 at 19:00, TuffLuff said:

I may be entirely wrong here, but my presumption is that Derby have contract with an external catering company to provide the food/drink on the concourses. Therefore the price of carling/marston is set by that company and not Derby (most likely with carling/marston selling at a higher price than usual). I could be completely wrong on that but that’s how I presume it works with my limited knowledge of these things.

Yup, Delaware North are the crew and they do Wembley, Fulham, Emirates, Ricoh plus others. Also do The Yard at Pride Park, I believe.

They price according to industry benchmarks and pricing analysis - not just what a few people on a forum say they think is a fair price. Generally, from a selling perspective, the optimal price to sell at is the one that customer complains about but still buys. Sounds to me like they've got it about right.

As for Carling - it's what is known as a 'captive brand' and these days tends to be sold places where you don't have much of a choice.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

£3.80 a pint I'm likely to have 2/3, £4.50 a pint I'm likely to have just the 1/2 as my disposable income doesn't change just because I've walked into a football stadium. The club loses £3.10/£2.40 minus cost (minimal) in this scenario and I'm sure there are plenty in the same boat. I guess the club have to balance those that don't care about paying more and drink the same amount regardless with those that'd have 1 less to adjust for the increase in price to see whether they make an overall gain or loss. 

Profit is the key. Let's assume the beer costs them (all in - including staff, rent, glass, distribution etc) about £3 a pint and let's assume you are thirsty so we go for the bigger numbers you suggest. 3 pints at £3.80 makes them £2.40 of profit, 2 pints at £4.50 makes them £3 of profit. If your not thirsty it's £1.60 against £1.50 but extra staff time serving, extra glass etc.

Just saying.

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Yup, Delaware North are the crew and they do Wembley, Fulham, Emirates, Ricoh plus others. Also do The Yard at Pride Park, I believe.

They price according to industry benchmarks and pricing analysis - not just what a few people on a forum say they think is a fair price. Generally, from a selling perspective, the optimal price to sell at is the one that customer complains about but still buys. Sounds to me like they've got it about right.

As for Carling - it's what is known as a 'captive brand' and these days tends to be sold places where you don't have much of a choice.

Ah cool that’s interesting, especially about the other contracts, thanks mate.

So what you are basically saying is that they know that if people want a beer, they’ll probably have a beer no matter what it is and as long as it’s not a ridiculous price so there’s little point in changing the model

As I think I said the other day, I think the problem, from a fans perspective, is the contract itself brings limitations but the sales figures will show little reason to change it.

Archived