£4.50 for a pint of Carling

rad1919

36 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Not really, I enjoy a drink a match, Im not there to make a stand against the price of beer, so buying one will satisfy my desire for having a beverage.

If they put the price up again, I shall still buy a beer, and still moan if I think it’s overpriced.

Would you actually enjoy it though if you were then moaning afterwards that it was overpriced.

Unless you are referring to the basic mechanics of drinking a liquid to keep you hydrated.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£4.50? Have I been done then? I paid £4.80 in the fan park. This was only because we took the train instead of driving so arrived quite early  

Don’t like the offerings in the ground so don’t buy any more. We used to buy 2 pies, a beer and a coffee. Now we don’t because the pies are awful, the beer is awful and awful is too kind a word for the coffee, it indescribable how vile it is, can only be the water??

14 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's all relative I paid 20 quid for a T20 blast at Trent Bridge recently is that too much?

Beer was about 4 quid a pint on a related topic 

That seems about right. Roughly 3 hours watching top class cricket in one of the better grounds in the country.

£4 a pint is also reasonable, on a par with pub prices.

3 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

That seems about right. Roughly 3 hours watching top class cricket in one of the better grounds in the country.

£4 a pint is also reasonable, on a par with pub prices.

I wouldn't call it first class cricket more of a organised thrash of the bat but I would pay £20 just for the venue.

55 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Would you actually enjoy it though if you were then moaning afterwards that it was overpriced.

Unless you are referring to the basic mechanics of drinking a liquid to keep you hydrated.

Yes I would, just because I pay over the odds for something doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it.

19 hours ago, superzak said:

Very disappointing day all round. 31 quid for the game...Beer tent absolutely useless too hot and you couldnt stand outside with your pint. So go in the ground...4.50 for wazzy carling  and the tellys arent on on the concourse. Absolutely shockingly bad game just about sums up what we have traded in exchange for an ex Manure forward. 

Not sure what you're expectations are but it was hardly a shockingly bad game. Can't comment on the ticket price or cost/quality of the beer. I'm a season ticket holder and wouldn't dream of buying a drink at the ground.

On 10/08/2019 at 18:23, G STAR RAM said:

Think, as a club, we are pretty on top of the commercial side of things.

As I said, if you've spotted a gap in the market, that Mel Morris and Stephen Pearce have missed, I'm sure they would be happy to take your financial input.

Think theres a new series of Dragons Den starting soon if you want some help with your idea!

A bit harsh, Carling is a mass produced cheap tasteless lager. I take my hat off to Sheff weds with getting Thornebridge ales in their ground, and just in case if you did'nt know(lagerboy) Thornebridge is a Derbyshire brewery who do superb ales (award winning in fact).

On 11/08/2019 at 09:40, AdamRam said:

Not really, I enjoy a drink a match, Im not there to make a stand against the price of beer, so buying one will satisfy my desire for having a beverage.

If they put the price up again, I shall still buy a beer, and still moan if I think it’s overpriced.

Easily pleased then

I think I have made my feelings well known on the quality and value of the food and drink at PP.

But I have to say this isn't unique to the club. There are hardly any places where you can find consistency between quality and price these days.

My brother and my mum decided to go to Pizza Express on Sunday. They invited me along. Starters for £5-6. Pizzas anywhere from £10-15. Non-alcoholic drinks £2.80 and upwards. Desserts almost £7. A complete rip off.

I just find Derby is stuck between failing to appreciate what it is and trying to be something it's not. It's not staying true to its roots as a working class, industrial city with unpretentious people.

Rather than staying faithful to the city's identity, the businesses are trying (and failing) to catch up with other cities. I don't know why they bother - any sort of improvement, regeneration and modernisation tends to come to Derby 10-15 years too late. 

31 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

A bit harsh, Carling is a mass produced cheap tasteless lager. I take my hat off to Sheff weds with getting Thornebridge ales in their ground, and just in case if you did'nt know(lagerboy) Thornebridge is a Derbyshire brewery who do superb ales (award winning in fact).

Lager's fine.  The only real ale I've had and quite liked was Plum Porter.  To be honest the proper real ale brigade are terrifying.  I once had a bloke in a micro pub ready to strangle me because I didn't like the home made ale that he produced tasting of oranges.  Thought I'd brave the Brunswick on Saturday and some fella was kicking of that the only bitter they had was Tiger, he was not a happy punter.   I reckon they love guys like me in real ale pubs that just take any lager - except Grolsh of course - horrific .

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think I have made my feelings well known on the quality and value of the food and drink at PP.

But I have to say this isn't unique to the club. There are hardly any places where you can find consistency between quality and price these days.

My brother and my mum decided to go to Pizza Express on Sunday. They invited me along. Starters for £5-6. Pizzas anywhere from £10-15. Non-alcoholic drinks £2.80 and upwards. Desserts almost £7. A complete rip off.

That's the same anywhere though if people continue to pay it then they will continue to charge those amounts. Don't blame the club blame the punters

I was at an England international at Trent Bridge a couple of months ago the amount of people queuing to buy a hot dog for £4.50 was phenomenal especially when you could literally walk over the road to the Coop opposite the ground and buy whatever you wanted there.

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I just find Derby is stuck between failing to appreciate what it is and trying to be something it's not. It's not staying true to its roots as a working class, industrial city with unpretentious people.

Rather than staying faithful to the city's identity, the businesses are trying (and failing) to catch up with other cities. I don't know why they bother - any sort of improvement, regeneration and modernisation tends to come to Derby 10-15 years too late. 

I have to say the quality of building they are throwing up in the city centre is horrific .  That copper monster in the middle of friargate that blinds drivers and fits in with nothing.   The intu you can see like a large white box from any vantage point miles away and monolithic square brown brick and grey window office and student blocks round Queen street and soon to arrive on the Debenhams site . 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's the same anywhere though if people continue to pay it then they will continue to charge those amounts. Don't blame the club blame the punters

I was at an England international at Trent Bridge a couple of months ago the amount of people queuing to buy a hot dog for £4.50 was phenomenal especially when you could literally walk over the road to the Coop opposite the ground and buy whatever you wanted there.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the club's pricing strategy if the prices were consistent with the quality of said products. But there is not a single item on the menu in the concourses that isn't vastly overpriced.

But like we said, it's a widespread problem these days, and like you said, people are more than capable of making better choices but often don't.

For me, it would be refreshing for the club to take the lead and offer good food at good prices, rather than just blindly following the 'rip off Britain' model. 

Archived