£4.50 for a pint of Carling

rad1919

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I have to say the quality of building they are throwing up in the city centre is horrific .  That copper monster in the middle of friargate that blinds drivers and fits in with nothing.   The intu you can see like a large white box from any vantage point miles away and monolithic square brown brick and grey window office and student blocks round Queen street and soon to arrive on the Debenhams site . 

Absolutely.

Derby will always be home. All of my family and a big part of my identity is here. I'm proud to come from Derby, and of course proud to be a Ram.

But after living in some genuinely fantastic cities like St. Petersburg and Porto and travelling to some amazing cities like San Sebastian, Bologna and Lyon, leaving Derby gets easier and easier.

You only have to walk around the city centre for 10 minutes to understand why people decide to leave Derby and why those who stay end up putting places like London, Nottingham and Manchester on a pedestal.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If folks visit North American stadiums, ask how much a plastic bottle of beer is, you'll then realise beer prices over here are like walking into a poundland.

Watched a game of ice hockey, the beer outside was reasonable. $6 (£3.80) a pint for premium lager in the local bar was more than fair. Get into the stadium, where a 60min game lasts nearly 3 hours...... $14 a bottle. In Canadian dollars. Nearly £9. Thieves.

I think we need to start comparing it to the prices of local pubs in the area. Not many places sell Carling for less than £3 unless you're a large chain pub.

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

If folks visit North American stadiums, ask how much a plastic bottle of beer is, you'll then realise beer prices over here are like walking into a poundland.

Watched a game of ice hockey, the beer outside was reasonable. $6 (£3.80) a pint for premium lager in the local bar was more than fair. Get into the stadium, where a 60min game lasts nearly 3 hours...... $14 a bottle. In Canadian dollars. Nearly £9. Thieves.

I think we need to start comparing it to the prices of local pubs in the area. Not many places sell Carling for less than £3 unless you're a large chain pub.

Derby don’t sell it for 3 quid though, it’s 4.50 which I think was the point. The average cost of a pint in Derby according to a couple of surveys is 3.51, London is the most expensive at just over 4.50.

A fair comparison would be other football grounds, a quick google search shows that we are at the high end level of prices along with the London clubs although I will caveat that by saying it’s information that is a year old. 

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Derby don’t sell it for 3 quid though, it’s 4.50 which I think was the point. The average cost of a pint in Derby according to a couple of surveys is 3.51, London is the most expensive at just over 4.50.

A fair comparison would be other football grounds, a quick google search shows that we are at the high end level of prices along with the London clubs although I will caveat that by saying it’s information that is a year old. 

I saw a table the other day of Bundesliga beer prices, and they were generally all between 4 Euros to 4.50 Euros.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I saw a table the other day of Bundesliga beer prices, and they were generally all between 4 Euros to 4.50 Euros.

I imagine decent quality beer over there though. 

But yeah, the prices seem fairly consistent.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

And not only can you drink it in the stands but the glasses are designed so you can hold several pints very easily as they fit together like a jig saw ?

Anyway I digress, I don’t think we are to far away from the norm, I’ll have to check how much I pay next time though as when it’s my round I pay contactless for ease, bet it’s at least a fiver though.

If its the norm or not, its almost £12 for two pints of warm, frothy, lager and two bags of crisps?

you can draw comparisons with whatever sporting venues you want, but there's no disguising that its a rip off.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If its the norm or not, its almost £12 for two pints of warm, frothy, lager and two bags of crisps?

you can draw comparisons with whatever sporting venues you want, but there's no disguising that its a rip off.

To some degree it'll be done to dissuade heavy drinking. I'd guarantee its something the club gets "advised figures" for from the EFL or FA etc. There are plenty of such guidelines for public "event" pricing.

On the plus side, it's been a long time since we were so bad the only way to watch us was blind drunk.

To be honest, apart from price and its not my beer of choice, I find the ramming in to get served then drinking on the concourse not particularly enjoyable anyway. But then I'm a bit pipe n slippers n whisky by the fire place these days (like the old dude on the fast show)

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I imagine decent quality beer over there though. 

But yeah, the prices seem fairly consistent.

Mainly just whatever is local - tbh, whatever it is, if it's in plastic, it's never great. But do agree that it's worth the money to be able to drink it in the stand.

The prices are set based on the market. When you go through the ticket spinny door thing (minds gone blank, forgot what its called) you enter a "Monopoly Market" in which then, DCFC haven't got any competitors or whatever. Because of this the club are able to price whatever they want at whatever price they want, due to the convenience, they aren't having to face any competition from say, a pub down the road, alongside the fact you're not allowed to bring in any food/drink. On concessions alone, from your Pie and a Pint, from your Coca Cola, the club will have a high profit margin based on concessions, and it all contributes to running the club. Overall I don't see the problem personally, its only around £1.50 more than yer local bar, and if 10,000 folk buy a pint, that's £15000 extra going to the club, which is quite a lot to the club, but £1.50 is just pocket change.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

The prices are set based on the market. When you go through the ticket spinny door thing (minds gone blank, forgot what its called) you enter a "Monopoly Market" in which then, DCFC haven't got any competitors or whatever. Because of this the club are able to price whatever they want at whatever price they want, due to the convenience, they aren't having to face any competition from say, a pub down the road, alongside the fact you're not allowed to bring in any food/drink. On concessions alone, from your Pie and a Pint, from your Coca Cola, the club will have a high profit margin based on concessions, and it all contributes to running the club. Overall I don't see the problem personally, its only around £1.50 more than yer local bar, and if 10,000 folk buy a pint, that's £15000 extra going to the club, which is quite a lot to the club, but £1.50 is just pocket change.

Depends on the contract the club have with Delaware North - if it's a fixed price contract then they take all the risk. TBH - unlikely it's structured in a way that more sales equals more money to the club.

Go on, three guesses what industry I work in ?

1 hour ago, Squid said:

For me, it’s not necessarily the price that I’m bothered about, especially if buying within the stadium supports the club, more about what they are selling which could be improved 

9 minutes ago, tinman said:

Don’t blame Derby, blame Marston’s for charging them so much to supply it. 

I may be entirely wrong here, but my presumption is that Derby have contract with an external catering company to provide the food/drink on the concourses. Therefore the price of carling/marston is set by that company and not Derby (most likely with carling/marston selling at a higher price than usual). I could be completely wrong on that but that’s how I presume it works with my limited knowledge of these things.

Wouldn't mind paying x amount for a beer if there was a choice of 2/3 lagers and the prices reflected the quality of beer. Think personally it should be £3.80 for a pint of carling ranging up to around £4.20 for a pint of hop house 13 or somat. 

£3.80 a pint I'm likely to have 2/3, £4.50 a pint I'm likely to have just the 1/2 as my disposable income doesn't change just because I've walked into a football stadium. The club loses £3.10/£2.40 minus cost (minimal) in this scenario and I'm sure there are plenty in the same boat. I guess the club have to balance those that don't care about paying more and drink the same amount regardless with those that'd have 1 less to adjust for the increase in price to see whether they make an overall gain or loss. 

Archived