Sign in to follow this  
zaragozaram

Damned

There is absolutely far too much gambling advertising attached to football; and I'm sure the politician's will one day get around to banning the advertising.

3 minutes ago, KCG said:

There is absolutely far too much gambling advertising attached to football; and I'm sure the politician's will one day get around to banning the advertising.

100% agree and as a non-gambler, I find it annoying and invasive to my enjoyment of televised football. However I find it a bit rich for Clubs, EFL, The Church, Journalists to call out Wayne Rooney and Derby over it when 3/4 of the top 2 divisions and the leagues themselves are sponsored by gambling companies. 

Half the Prem teams will besponsored by gaming companies, and it's all Rooney's fault. That seems to be the impication in the article. What a load of Bolleaux

Posted (edited)

I love it all, pi55 off the church, snowflakes,  moaners, and it's the owners of Stoke who own Bet365 (Coates family), no wonder their fans are quiet, they are paying for us to have Rooney 😆😆

Edited by nfb

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No, the National Lottery is an organisation that donates lots of money to very worthwhile charities.

I you think of the National Lottery as being a form of gambling, another form of Tax where people pay hundreds of pounds a year chasing the impossible dream, lining the pockets of the rich, you would be wrong.

Hate to break it to you, but, the national lottery is gambling. The fact that it's obliged by its remit to spend a large share of the profits donating to good causes doesn't make it not gambling.

It does illustrate that "gambling" isn't a single easy to pigeon hole thing which is good or bad.

The local charity raffle you buy a ticket fir is "gambling" ( by definition) but a million miles away from fixed odds betting terminals or kids running up debts through online poker.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

20 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

As a kid Kevin Hector was my God and can't say much has changed😁,

May I ask... purely out of interest... since those days, have you ever had the urge to insert letters and other paper items of communication through the letterboxes of complete strangers, to the point where it has been considered a problem, be that to yourself, or to the recipients of the aforementioned correspondence?  

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hate to break it to you, but, the national lottery is gambling. The fact that it's obliged by its remit to spend a large share of the profits donating to good causes doesn't make it not gambling.

It does illustrate that "gambling" isn't a single easy to pigeon hole thing which is good or bad.

Aye, tis gambling - just based on the definition.

Although I do appreciate there should be a distinction between it, (a gambling game disguising what is essentially a form of tax) and private companies who manipulate the systems to make it as difficult as possible to win, maximising their profits.

BUT - for the purposes of the advertisement discussion; the type of gambling is largely irrelevant. Any form of gambling is harmful to those vulnerable to it, and any question of overreaching advertisement is in all reality with those people in mind. 

My favourite thing from the Bishop of St Albans is how he claims to have spoken to two families who will not let their children watch football as they do not want them to be primed for gambling...

Who are these people?

3 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

My favourite thing from the Bishop of St Albans is how he claims to have spoken to two families who will not let their children watch football as they do not want them to be primed for gambling...

Who are these people?

BIRD_BOX_015-991a8d4-e1545237662373.jpg

6 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Who are these people?

Ridiculous.

They're not going to have any idea what they're betting on! Money down the drain. Shame.

25 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The local charity raffle you buy a ticket fir is "gambling" ( by definition) but a million miles away from fixed odds betting terminals or kids running up debts through online poker.

I'm almost certain MackworthRamIsMyWaifu was being sarcastic.

2 hours ago, Gladys' Handbag said:

Here's an 'exclusive' in The Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/08/exclusive-derbys-decision-hand-wayne-rooney-no-32-shirt-couldbe/

It seems that the number 32 could be interpreted as advertising and a breach of FA rules -

"Under current regulations, clubs are allowed to designate "one single area not exceeding 100 square centimetres on the
back of the shirt" to any sponsor.

Advertising standards sources suggested the decision to give Rooney the 32 shirt in association with betting firm 32Red
could be interpreted by the FA as a potential breach in the rules.

Derby can only be approached by the governing body after Rooney takes the field in January, and the promotion effectively becomes live. The FA is understood to be aware and monitoring the situation."

So the FA are 'monitoring the situation', maybe a very small number or just change it to 666.

Or just 31+1 ?