January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

We need to sign a creative playmaker midfielder who can supply more good chances for Martin, Waghorn, Marriott, Bennett and Whittaker. And if you think our strikers are'nt upto it, we must get in a young hungry talented striker from the lower divisions or else where to find a bargain.

Maddison

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, another suggestion for our recruitment team to have a look at:

Ronan Curtis

Currently at Portsmouth, can play CF or on the left of a forward line.  Electric pace, 23 years old, 6'0", 10 goals already this season in League 1 and Pompey fans believe he's too good to stay with them if they're not promoted.

Intangible benefits and advantages include he'll know Clarke so Matt should be able to help him to settle.  He's Irish and they tend to be among our more consistent successes (McGrath, Hendrick, Keogh, Knight).  And being named Curtis it fits in with our policy of having multiple players sharing a name (Tom, Max, etc).

I'm doing this for free.

While I'm on a roll, here's another one for the recruitment team to look at.  It may bamboozle them though because it's from abroad.  Anyway...

Silvere Ganvoula

Currently at VfL Bochum in the German second division.  Congolese, centre forward with 10 goals and 4 assists in 14 appearances.  6'3" pacy and hard working, it's fair old return for a team that are 14th in their league.  Difficult to work out the fans view because they selfishly insist on speaking in German and the 'forum culture' appears a lot less prevalent than in the UK.

Other considerations.  Bochum would appear a smaller club than us (16k attendances) and don't seem to spend or sell big (Ganvoula was signed from Anderlecht for less than 400k which seems a record).  They also focus on other sports and you'd think a relatively modest bid would allow them to reinvest across multiple platforms?  Anyway potential for getting better value for money.

Also worth considering with him being from the Congo sales of Um Bongo would go through the roof on the concourses.  It's also a three syllable foreign surname so much hilarity on Radio Derby with Rammer.

Due to recent revelations, far from spending on incoming deals, we must be looking at outgoing deals .

if we are adjudged to have made a loss of 25m for 2017-18 then that gives us an uphill task to avoid further ffp penalties for the following years.

we need transfer income ASAP. 

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Due to recent revelations, far from spending on incoming deals, we must be looking at outgoing deals .

if we are adjudged to have made a loss of 25m for 2017-18 then that gives us an uphill task to avoid further ffp penalties for the following years.

Step forward Lawrence.

but we need a buyer.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Not so sure.  First off didn't Brum have the FFP clock reset after their breach and couldn't we expect the same?

Secondly the major structural fault was us carrying a huge squad with a large number of high earners who didn't contribute much.  Only really got Anya left out of those so much more wiggle room.

Thirdly, if I'd sold the stadium I would have used some of the headroom to write off some of the higher residual values to reduce exposure (could this be something the EFL is taking exception too with the amortisation charge?).  Potentially were looking at a far smaller hit here than in previous years.

So not sure we need to sell.

If we're talking about buying then it might be any deals are structured as loans with a view to a permanent deal so that major expenditure went out in July (2020-21) and wouldn't count in the same three year period as the loss (17/18. 18/19, 19/20). 

Mel stated half the starting lineup being academy players at the start of next season is the ambition. 5/6 players. You add in Rooney and that means just 3/4 outfield positions left available. We do have quite a large squad to see us through to the end of the season. I think the three most likely players to leave are Waghorn, Marriott and Lawrence. The three of them haven't got a good return for us so far this season and things aren't likely to improve much as, Rooney has gone to the top of the pile when it comes to free-kicks and penalties. Bird and Knight may also make their stamp when it comes to corners. 

I'd imagine Rooney will have a significant say in our future attacking lineup for multiple reasons. Including having sway when it came to loans. I think he could land us a hot prospect on loan ahead of other clubs. At the end of the day a goalscorer is our number one priority. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Not so sure.  First off didn't Brum have the FFP clock reset after their breach and couldn't we expect the same?

Secondly the major structural fault was us carrying a huge squad with a large number of high earners who didn't contribute much.  Only really got Anya left out of those so much more wiggle room.

Thirdly, if I'd sold the stadium I would have used some of the headroom to write off some of the higher residual values to reduce exposure (could this be something the EFL is taking exception too with the amortisation charge?).  Potentially were looking at a far smaller hit here than in previous years.

So not sure we need to sell.

If we're talking about buying then it might be any deals are structured as loans with a view to a permanent deal so that major expenditure went out in July (2020-21) and wouldn't count in the same three year period as the loss (17/18. 18/19, 19/20). 

Apparently brum went back to a target of 13m max loss. If it is the same for us, then since we made a trading loss of £25m we could have to “improve” by 12m in one season to avoid another smack on the bottom. 

18 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Mel stated half the starting lineup being academy players at the start of next season is the ambition. 5/6 players. You add in Rooney and that means just 3/4 outfield positions left available. We do have quite a large squad to see us through to the end of the season. I think the three most likely players to leave are Waghorn, Marriott and Lawrence. The three of them haven't got a good return for us so far this season and things aren't likely to improve much as, Rooney has gone to the top of the pile when it comes to free-kicks and penalties. Bird and Knight may also make their stamp when it comes to corners. 

I'd imagine Rooney will have a significant say in our future attacking lineup for multiple reasons. Including having sway when it came to loans. I think he could land us a hot prospect on loan ahead of other clubs. At the end of the day a goalscorer is our number one priority. 

I can't agree with you on Marriott.  I think he's got the most to gain from playing alongside Rooney. He's our only threat to get In behind the opposition. He hasn't been clinical of late, but his movement alone creates chances that others wouldn't get. I fully back Marriott to turn a huge corner if he can stay fit. Big IF.

17 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

I can't agree with you on Marriott.  I think he's got the most to gain from playing alongside Rooney. He's our only threat to get In behind the opposition. He hasn't been clinical of late, but his movement alone creates chances that others wouldn't get. I fully back Marriott to turn a huge corner if he can stay fit. Big IF.

Sell Marriott. Never fit get rid. Get someone who we can rely on

51 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

He does but he actually needs to be playing. I'm not going to get my hopes up again about that until he can start and basically finish 5 games in a row. He's likely to leave, not saying he will, due to his lack of availability. 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Apparently brum went back to a target of 13m max loss. If it is the same for us, then since we made a trading loss of £25m we could have to “improve” by 12m in one season to avoid another smack on the bottom. 

The next set of accounts to be submitted and reviewed will be the 2018-19 season.  Selling in January of 2020 will have no bearing on that.

You are Craig Rammage and I claim my £5.

13 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Sell Marriott. Never fit get rid. Get someone who we can rely on

So easy to be wise after the event isn't it. In the 3 seasons before joining us Marriott played over 120 games so there was nothing to suggest he was about to have the run of injuries he has had.

Archived