Jamie Paterson - loan cancelled

inter politics

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Maradona is the ultimate hate figure yet most England fans would give him full respect.  

There is an element of arrogance in saying deregatory things or incitement through over-celebrating goals, winding up fans etc.

If you then back it up on the pitch then grudgingly fans will usually admit it, so when they  show some humility / humanity, even say nice things about your club then fans accept it and agree all's fair in love and war. 

When they can't back it up and are average at best...they look daft and there is no respect forthcoming. 

Paterson comes in which group....?

All he said was that he doesn’t like his ex-club’s rivals. Why would that surprise you, and why would it piss you off, even if he isn’t amazing?

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Maradona is the ultimate hate figure yet most England fans would give him full respect.  

There is an element of arrogance in saying deregatory things or incitement through over-celebrating goals, winding up fans etc.

If you then back it up on the pitch then grudgingly fans will usually admit it, so when they  show some humility / humanity, even say nice things about your club then fans accept it and agree all's fair in love and war. 

When they can't back it up and are average at best...they look daft and there is no respect forthcoming. 

Paterson comes in which group....?

Unpopular opinion but I'm going to say Paterson is a worse player than Maradona was

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

All he said was that he doesn’t like his ex-club’s rivals. Why would that surprise you, and why would it piss you off, even if he isn’t amazing?

Aye, before we had social media Stuart Pearce was one of my favourite England players and I've always held him in high regard as he's 100% committed, so when he said he'd prefer to be on the dole than play for Derby I can respect that, I may disagree but I understand his viewpoint.

That penalty against Spain ?

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Mate, I’ve been in the stands and given opposition players absolute poo. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t welcome them with welcome arms at the club.

Don't really see how the two things compare. A more sensible comparison would be would you bash a future employer on camera knowing that they'd see the petty little outburst then expect said employer (and in this case the fans too) to take you with open arms when you are in line for a job with the same employer at a later date?

If folk don't like my thinking on the matter, well tough, that's just how I see it.

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How is it being 'sensitive' thinking better of employing someone who's disdain for the club. If you interviewed someone at work and they were like. 'well. not really fussed about you or your company but you'll be paying me so what the hell' would you be falling over yourself to employ them? If not, why should it be any different just because this bloke kicks a football around for a living?

In any case, I'm not losing sleep over it, my opinion is simply I rather look at players who we know for sure, will integrate and give us their best. Paterson's an ok player and maybe I'd feel different if he was was exceptional but he's not. In all honesty, being embarrassed on other people's behalf, especially someone who clearly has no affinity for Derby is more 'embarrassing' than those not being fussed about him being signed and saying as much. Fact is, he's no better than what we already have anyway.

I mean the stats show him to be more productive than Lawrence... and for the right price it might be astute. Anyway might not happen. Who knows 

10 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Aye, before we had social media Stuart Pearce was one of my favourite England players and I've always held him in high regard as he's 100% committed, so when he said he'd prefer to be on the dole than play for Derby I can respect that, I may disagree but I understand his viewpoint.

Just proved the point surely.. international  legend Pearce l would kibda accept saying that....he has earned the right. Steve Chettle, nah.. looks an idiot.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Don't really see how the two things compare. A more sensible comparison would be would you bash a future employer on camera knowing that they'd see the petty little outburst then expect said employer (and in this case the fans too) to take you with open arms when you are in line for a job with the same employer at a later date?

If folk don't like my thinking on the matter, well tough, that's just how I see it.

First of all, you can’t compare any other form of employment to that of football. I can’t think of a single industry where there’s so much tribalism, mickey-taking and general ‘banter’ as there is in football. Thus, it has to be treated separately.

Also, ignoring my first point, if I slagged off a potential future employer by pointing out their faults and being genuinely serious, then fair enough. So, if Patterson had said he felt uncomfortable with, for example, our shirts being sponsored by a gambling company and that Derby fans are horrible people, then yes, that would make things difficult. But a light-hearted, ‘I don’t like X because I played for Y’, which was probably only said to demonstrate to Forest fans that he holds them in high regard, really isn’t a big deal. We could have been any club in the world, but it’s only because we’re Forest’s rivals that he said that. 

And don’t forget, this is a guy’s career. He’s probably got between 5 and 10 years left to do what he loves, so he’s going to make the choice that is right for him and his family. If that means a little repentance, then so be it. 

A final point. I’m much more uncomfortable with Rooney cheating on his wife; Hendrick being charged with assault; Lampard and Morris getting drunk and insulting the American people post-9/11, etc, than than I am of a trivial comment. The things the aforementioned people have allegedly done are all genuinely nasty things to do and suggest that they’ve been ricks at some point in their lives. Patterson’s comment suggests he’s still fond of Forest.

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Just proved the point surely.. international  legend Pearce l would kibda accept saying that....he has earned the right. Steve Chettle, nah.. looks an idiot.

Accept your point, and sort of agree with it, but people say things at times that they regret.

I'd hate to be judged now for things I've said in my 20's.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A final point. I’m much more uncomfortable with Rooney cheating on his wife; Hendrick being charged with assault; Lampard and Morris getting drunk and insulting the American people post-9/11, etc, than than I am of a trivial comment. The things the aforementioned people have allegedly done are all genuinely nasty things to do and suggest that they’ve been ricks at some point in their lives. Patterson’s comment suggests he’s still fond of Forest.

I agree with some of your points and I personally would not be overly fussed if he came, but if he was then rubbish it would annoy me all over again! 

However...mate...you are showing your age above. There speaks the voice of youth ??

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I mean the stats show him to be more productive than Lawrence... and for the right price it might be astute. Anyway might not happen. Who knows 

And that makes perfect sense to me mate. It's not like I'd be sat in the stands hurling abuse at him if he did come, far from it and I fully agree he's decent at this level. Don't get me wrong, the Twatter types hurling abuse at him I absolutely despise and I'm not in any way defending that kind of behaviour. I just find player's trying to curry favour with fans of a club they don't even play for anymore by demeaning other clubs pretty childish tbh, but that's just me I guess!

Anyways, we move on!

COYR

25 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

That penalty against West Germany?!

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

First of all, you can’t compare any other form of employment to that of football. I can’t think of a single industry where there’s so much tribalism, mickey-taking and general ‘banter’ as there is in football. Thus, it has to be treated separately.

Also, ignoring my first point, if I slagged off a potential future employer by pointing out their faults and being genuinely serious, then fair enough. So, if Patterson had said he felt uncomfortable with, for example, our shirts being sponsored by a gambling company and that Derby fans are horrible people, then yes, that would make things difficult. But a light-hearted, ‘I don’t like X because I played for Y’, which was probably only said to demonstrate to Forest fans that he holds them in high regard, really isn’t a big deal. We could have been any club in the world, but it’s only because we’re Forest’s rivals that he said that. 

And don’t forget, this is a guy’s career. He’s probably got between 5 and 10 years left to do what he loves, so he’s going to make the choice that is right for him and his family. If that means a little repentance, then so be it. 

Honestly? I couldn't care less about this guy's career. I've  seen Derby players who give their heart and soul week in , week out,  derided relentlessly on this forum but when someone comments that he rather we didn't sign some ex-Forest bell, we've have folk going into full relative-morality mode. What about, what about... Jesus. Gimme a break. 

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Honestly? I couldn't care less about this guy's career. I've  seen Derby players who give their heart and soul week in , week out,  derided relentlessly on this forum but when someone comments that he rather we didn't sign some ex-Forest bell, we've have folk going into full relative-morality mode. What about, what about... Jesus. Gimme a break. 

It's Wayne fookin Rooney.

Archived