Jamie Paterson - loan cancelled

inter politics

I don't get the argument that kids will start gambling based on Rooney playing for Derby. I mean, I've seen some very reaching far-fetched arguments in the past but that's right up there. It's akin to blaming video games on people shooting each other in America - in fact, it's even worse. 

If you want to hammer any entity for endorsing gambling on kids, it's surely the Ultimate Team mode on FIFA? This is a game endorsed by the governing body of football worldwide. You have to laugh. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If you want to hammer any entity for endorsing gambling on kids, it's surely the Ultimate Team mode on FIFA? This is a game endorsed by the governing body of football worldwide. You have to laugh. 

Football stickers - They had those when I was a kid and it was always pretty much a lottery - Football cards before that

Sealed packets where you didn't know what you'd get - The draw was that you might get something new - They specifically made some cards/stickers much much rarer than others - Which obviously entices kids to buy more and more packs to try and complete their collection - That's gambling

19 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Football stickers - They had those when I was a kid and it was always pretty much a lottery - Football cards before that

Sealed packets where you didn't know what you'd get - The draw was that you might get something new - They specifically made some cards/stickers much much rarer than others - Which obviously entices kids to buy more and more packs to try and complete their collection - That's gambling

Absolutely. 

When you consider what is likely to make a kid become a gambler once he grows up, I would say that is a much bigger issue than someone remembering that Wayne Rooney once wore the number 32 for Derby. 

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Absolutely. 

When you consider what is likely to make a kid become a gambler once he grows up, I would say that is a much bigger issue than someone remembering that Wayne Rooney once wore the number 32 for Derby. 

Also - No one at Derby or 32Red made that explicit connection

Then the newspapers and commentators and random church officials who have nothing to do with football started stating the connection - Kids may not have noticed it before - But as soon as people criticise it and make it seem explicit kids will understand the link

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Also - No one at Derby or 32Red made that explicit connection

Then the newspapers and commentators and random church officials who have nothing to do with football started stating the connection - Kids may not have noticed it before - But as soon as people criticise it and make it seem explicit kids will understand the link

Probably the best advertising 32Red has ever had. 

Not attacking Derby personally, just asking for your opinion of what I've seen in the media. As others have said it's the Sky Bet Championship & about 80%, including City, have a betting company sponsor somewhere. If it was down to me I'd ban all sponsorship from companies that have proven to have highly addictive products.

32 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

Not attacking Derby personally, just asking for your opinion of what I've seen in the media. As others have said it's the Sky Bet Championship & about 80%, including City, have a betting company sponsor somewhere. If it was down to me I'd ban all sponsorship from companies that have proven to have highly addictive products.

Thats the end of F1 for the Red bull team then.?

On 18/08/2019 at 09:47, Bristol City said:

I was surprised!

Palmer is only 22, think we got a great deal for him! 1 MOTM & 2 assists so far.

It seems a very good signing, I'm not sure how is fitness is now though. Maybe a 60 minute player? I'm glad you don't have him for the whole season. Also, the Bet32 stuff seems pretty immoral, from the little I've seen, what are your views on the accused subliminal messaging of gambling being subjected to kids? (Genuine question)

We've had about 20 unnecessary threads on it so there's no need for you to bring it into another one. Of course when the league and majority of teams in it are sponsored by betting companies it's a ridiculous (if genuine) question.

1 hour ago, Bristol City said:

Are you then attacking Derby by proxy then rather then attack them personally?

On 18/08/2019 at 09:47, Bristol City said:

Also, the Bet32 stuff seems pretty immoral, from the little I've seen, what are your views on the accused subliminal messaging of gambling being subjected to kids? (Genuine question)

I think it's terrible that poor, innocent subliminal messages will be subjected to the corrupting effects of kids. What kind of world do we live in? (Genuine answer)

Can we have an updated list of who has gone and who has arrived since Play Off Final. Quite a list, I know. We have only bought one player, Bielik but seem to have an excellent squad with Ramarooney on his way at Xmas. We got Rooney on a sort of free of unspecified nature and paying his wages from manager dividends of a sort.

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are you then attacking Derby by proxy then rather then attack them personally?

I think you’re being a little harsh on @Bristol City. We’re in the middle of this little press driven furore and he/she has just asked for our opinion on it in a polite manner, whilst acknowledging the hypocrisy of the league.

For me, I thought it was a little crass to choose the number 32, as all the mock-ups were Rooney 7 beforehand, however I don’t care that we have given him that number.  That said, I don’t necessarily believe I am a target market, due to not being interested in betting.

As we have tighter and tighter restrictions through FFP, we have to find creative ways to stay competitive against the teams with the massive Premiership failure payouts, so it’s perfectly reasonable to wring as much as you possibly can from it, even if it does mean by “tenuous” means - by which, it’s a number and if people make that connection maybe it’s them with the issue? (Which does include me - 2+2=5 and all that)

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I would bet a fiver this whole thing makes no difference in people's desire to gamble.

Nor me, i cant Afford it anyway, i have spent all my money on 15 Toyota corollas in the past year that i don't know what to do with, for the life of me i cant work out what makes me want to keep buying them.

23 hours ago, Bristol City said:

The truth is it's a deal that 32 Red wanted to happen (once Rooney decided to move back to England) and would've been made to happen with any of the championship clubs they sponsor. I think to a large extent the media uproar was driven by a perception that Derby County "shouldn't" have things like Wayne Rooney, and thus, there must be a story about how it's wrong they do. Bristol City are an admirable club in many ways, but a bit like is, not terribly fashionable to the national media, and if Bristol were to arrange a similar deal for a high profile player, I'd expect similar treatment to come your way. 

The deal was there to be done, we did it, other clubs didn't make it happen, but i very much doubt that has anything to do with moral objections to giving him the number 32 in the squad in exchange for having his wages covered by sponsorship.

On 20/08/2019 at 14:13, Paul71 said:

Nor me, i cant Afford it anyway, i have spent all my money on 15 Toyota corollas in the past year that i don't know what to do with, for the life of me i cant work out what makes me want to keep buying them.

You think that's bad, I've accidentally become infatuated with stalking Ron Brooks from Ron Brooks Toyota and I can't see a way out of my addiction.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

You think that's bad, I've accidentally become infatuated with stalking Ron Brooks from Ron Brooks Toyota and I can't see a way out of my addiction.

All this subliminal advertising. Gets worse for West Hams fans, many have reported an unhealthy sexual obsession with Michael Jacksons pet chimpanzee and no one can work out why.

I've been eating nothing but zanfish for a year and a half. 

Gob smells like a grimsby trawler.

fortunately for some reason i've been able to stop

Archived