Our Summer Business

David

Not sure what to make of it all.

194 transfers to championship teams seems an awful lot. Average of 8 new signings per team?!?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

194 transfers to championship teams seems an awful lot. Average of 8 new signings per team?!?

It’s crazy, the championship is fast becoming a premier league 2. The squad quality of some teams now compared to 10 years ago is frightening 

33 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Blame Forest, they have raised the average number.

54 signings they have now made since August 2017, that’s the place to be if you love a signing but not fussed about the quality.

Useless fact of the day...

4 of Derby’s 7 signings averaged a higher win percentage than Derby last season (43.4%)

Shinnie 52.6%

Dowell 56.5%

Bielik 56.5%

Clarke 54.3%

Rooney 36%

Paterson 41.3%

Hamer 7.89%

I always think it’s better to buy/loan players who have had a good season previous.

1 hour ago, TommyPowel said:

Do you know what Rooneys package is? Do you know by how much Red32 have upped the sponorship?Do you know what our number 1 targets where?Do you know what the club have planned for when the window reopens in January surely by then PC will have i much better idea what you really need.

No. No. No. No.

Hope this helps, TP

Keepers: happy to see Roos get the chance to take the no1 spot. Not too fussed about carson going although he has been great in the past and was a big improvement on Grant. Signing another keeper surely signals the end for mitchell, a player who never quite seemed to fulfill the expectation that eric steele had of him. So either we go for an outstanding no1 or what? Hamer is a bit of a strange one. 31 years old? It seems like a nigel clough type of signing: a slightly random choice from among the deadline day flotsam and jetsom. Don't recall ever having seen him play, but its the sort of signing that has us scratching our heads a bit. We've had plenty of time to plan for carson's replacement and yet when it came to it, maybe we didn't. 

defence: happy to see bogle retained. Keogh is a fixture, although i'm slightly surprised that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable interest in him from other teams in the Prem or the championship. Malone and Lowe can fight it out for left back. Fozzy might yet get a move away. The only real hole was a tomori sized gap in central defence, and i'm not sure that we really know what to do with wisdom. Clarke was suggested by quite a few people last season, following the precedent of signing holmes and marriott. It looks like he might be ok. I'd have been happy to stick with evans. Overall not a surprising choice of player, but a wierd way to arrive. A one season loan via brighton?

midfield: lots of departures, and clearly shinnie was a done deal before frank went awol. It looks as though cocu will change the mix in midfield to give huddz a freer role and strengthen the midfield with an enforcer. Will huddz repay that faith or fade away? Its a great opportunity for the big wuss. Bielik and evans will compete to provide the anchor. Dowell takes the central attacking role with holmes, knight and bennett probably contributing from the bench. Not bad, but it means that the attackers have got to score 20 goals each. i'd have kept elsnik too.

Attack: we looked well set with waghorn, marriott, martin and bennett, but short of quality and numbers to play wide. Like huddz, lawrence seems to have been allowed a freer role. Time will tell as to whether that works. It seems to rely on malone bombing forward to provide width. Jozefzoon was a strange signing by Frank and has disappointed so far. I would much prefer that we had kept the left footed luke thomas who was the star of pre-season last year. Paterson might turn out to be decent but has not yet really fulfilled his early promise. Another deal which makes you wonder if we've been caught with our pants down for some reason.

finally.....shrek. 

I don't quite get it. It all smells a bit gimmicky and reminiscent of Ravanelli but i'm happy to be proved wrong. In fairness, it is also reminiscent of keegan going to newcastle. We'll just have to wait and see. I would have preferred us to concentrate on filling the key positions at centre back, left wing, and centre mid etc with some very good permanent players on lower wages, and building a team rather than spunking over 32red and the extra sponsorship.  I maintain that we've missed some good opportunities, but to quote the dwarf - it is what it is.

Now bring it on.?????

Considering the fact that we were a rudderless ship from the end of May until early July, it was always going to be difficult to get this window spot on due to the time constraints, due to the need to assess the existing squad, and due to the fact that there will have too many voices to contend with.

How was Cocu supposed to recruit impeccably when there is so much input to process? 

He will have had his own ideas and the club’s recruitment team will have already had existing targets and irons in the fire too. When you add the input of Rosenior and the other coaching staff on top of that, it is easy to see why our transfer business ended up like a bag of Bassett’s Allsorts - a really muddled and mixed bag.

Half of the signings appear strategic and well thought out. But then just as many are head-scratchers.

I am still confident about the season ahead and feel Cocu can bring together what we have to make a successful team, but honestly I think less would have been more on the signings front.

My strategy would have been to assess the squad, get settled and let the coaching take hold and extract more from the existing group of players, and then review the situation in January.

We have added three players - Clarke, Dowell and Bielik - who appear to match up with our footballing principles. They are young, hungry, highly rated, and with a point to prove coming into the Championship.

We could have stopped there and given ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done in difficult circumstances, and started looking ahead to January - a time when everyone would be more comfortable in their roles and clearer in their thinking.

But we are Derby County and it seems we just don’t know when to back away from the negotiating table.

I'm a little bit disappointed that we've not signed an unknown from Europe. It's almost as if we haven't employed foreign coaches. We have 2 dutch players, but they were already here and one is a GK! The other hasn't really got the technique you'd associate with Dutch players.

I imagine scouting has changed so much so that the big clubs have already hoovered up the young talent and there isn't much left for a club like Derby, but I miss the days of signing a player I've never heard of from mainland Europe!

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Considering the fact that we were a rudderless ship from the end of May until early July, it was always going to be difficult to get this window spot on due to the time constraints, due to the need to assess the existing squad, and due to the fact that there will have too many voices to contend with.

How was Cocu supposed to recruit impeccably when there is so much input to process? 

He will have had his own ideas and the club’s recruitment team will have already had existing targets and irons in the fire too. When you add the input of Rosenior and the other coaching staff on top of that, it is easy to see why our transfer business ended up like a bag of Bassett’s Allsorts - a really muddled and mixed bag.

Half of the signings appear strategic and well thought out. But then just as many are head-scratchers.

I am still confident about the season ahead and feel Cocu can bring together what we have to make a successful team, but honestly I think less would have been more on the signings front.

My strategy would have been to assess the squad, get settled and let the coaching take hold and extract more from the existing group of players, and then review the situation in January.

We have added three players - Clarke, Dowell and Bielik - who appear to match up with our footballing principles. They are young, hungry, highly rated, and with a point to prove coming into the Championship.

We could have stopped there and given ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done in difficult circumstances, and started looking ahead to January - a time when everyone would be more comfortable in their roles and clearer in their thinking.

But we are Derby County and it seems we just don’t know when to back away from the negotiating table.

We were reducing the wage bill on players who were unlikely to play. For whatever reason, Carson was let go. He deserved another club. He went to City. We needed another GK so we got one who has potential but has lost his way somewhat, but by all accounts a very good professional. He will surprise us. We needed a versatile winger on loan. I have always thought Paterson was a good player at this level. Cocu wanted competition for places. We lost out to the likes of WBA because of money. Taking everything into account it will prove to be an excellent window. Paterson may leave at Xmas if he does well for us because Brizzie put a clause in to suit themselves. We are making giant strides towards becomng a sustainable Premiership club. We need more outside investment and patience. I am so excited about making progress this season. Transition season is cancelled in my mind if nowhere else. Competition in this league is stronger than last season. COYR

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Keepers: happy to see Roos get the chance to take the no1 spot. Not too fussed about carson going although he has been great in the past and was a big improvement on Grant. Signing another keeper surely signals the end for mitchell, a player who never quite seemed to fulfill the expectation that eric steele had of him. So either we go for an outstanding no1 or what? Hamer is a bit of a strange one. 31 years old? It seems like a nigel clough type of signing: a slightly random choice from among the deadline day flotsam and jetsom. Don't recall ever having seen him play, but its the sort of signing that has us scratching our heads a bit. We've had plenty of time to plan for carson's replacement and yet when it came to it, maybe we didn't. 

defence: happy to see bogle retained. Keogh is a fixture, although i'm slightly surprised that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable interest in him from other teams in the Prem or the championship. Malone and Lowe can fight it out for left back. Fozzy might yet get a move away. The only real hole was a tomori sized gap in central defence, and i'm not sure that we really know what to do with wisdom. Clarke was suggested by quite a few people last season, following the precedent of signing holmes and marriott. It looks like he might be ok. I'd have been happy to stick with evans. Overall not a surprising choice of player, but a wierd way to arrive. A one season loan via brighton?

midfield: lots of departures, and clearly shinnie was a done deal before frank went awol. It looks as though cocu will change the mix in midfield to give huddz a freer role and strengthen the midfield with an enforcer. Will huddz repay that faith or fade away? Its a great opportunity for the big wuss. Bielik and evans will compete to provide the anchor. Dowell takes the central attacking role with holmes, knight and bennett probably contributing from the bench. Not bad, but it means that the attackers have got to score 20 goals each. i'd have kept elsnik too.

Attack: we looked well set with waghorn, marriott, martin and bennett, but short of quality and numbers to play wide. Like huddz, lawrence seems to have been allowed a freer role. Time will tell as to whether that works. It seems to rely on malone bombing forward to provide width. Jozefzoon was a strange signing by Frank and has disappointed so far. I would much prefer that we had kept the left footed luke thomas who was the star of pre-season last year. Paterson might turn out to be decent but has not yet really fulfilled his early promise. Another deal which makes you wonder if we've been caught with our pants down for some reason.

finally.....shrek. 

I don't quite get it. It all smells a bit gimmicky and reminiscent of Ravanelli but i'm happy to be proved wrong. In fairness, it is also reminiscent of keegan going to newcastle. We'll just have to wait and see. I would have preferred us to concentrate on filling the key positions at centre back, left wing, and centre mid etc with some very good permanent players on lower wages, and building a team rather than spunking over 32red and the extra sponsorship.  I maintain that we've missed some good opportunities, but to quote the dwarf - it is what it is.

Now bring it on.?????

32red is s masterstroke of business. Already stirring up a hornets nest. Publicity on a world stage is what big clubs feed on. Cocu is on a mission. He exudes confidence and will be one of our greatest managers.

Still believe there is one more to come in. Whether agreement was made yesterday and his club cancelled his contract to allow him to join after the window - it generally happens and particularly when a club has done business late in the window. Im thinking someone like Andy King or Andre Ayew - somebody that the club is happy to lose from the wage bill just they'll only go if they have something else lined up. Or it's an out of contract player that we look to bring in. 

Maybe I'm just ever the optimist.

I think we’ve had a good window considering the circus that followed FL leaving us.

i get the impression we’d have preferred to keep Carson as back-up keeper, but if Man City came calling, well he’s been a good servant to the club and I don’t think we’d keep a player against their wishes. Hamer is an experienced keeper a step below Carson but above Mitchell, he won’t play many games unless Roos is hurt. 

Paterson will provide competition on the flank for Jooz/Bennett and I always thought he was decent for this league. 

COYR

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm a little bit disappointed that we've not signed an unknown from Europe. It's almost as if we haven't employed foreign coaches. We have 2 dutch players, but they were already here and one is a GK! The other hasn't really got the technique you'd associate with Dutch players.

I imagine scouting has changed so much so that the big clubs have already hoovered up the young talent and there isn't much left for a club like Derby, but I miss the days of signing a player I've never heard of from mainland Europe!

Although Cocu did say that early transfer dealings would try to focus within England; foreign markets later.

As someone above said, if we'd signed Hamer & Paterson on Tuesday then Ronney (that still seems slightly ridiculous when you say it to yourself) last night, everyone would've creamed their pants.  I've always rated Paterson, and he's a damn sight more capable in this league than Zoon.  Hamer is good competition to Roos, and I wouldn't feel apprehensive about having either of them starting a run of games.

As for the rest of the incomings, Clarke stands out a mile for me.  I think he'll prove to be a very shrewd deal, and come October most people will have stopped pining for Tomori.

Overall I'm happy with the window.  The squad on paper isn't quite as exciting as last years, but it's not about the individuals, it's about getting the right mix of them.  And one Monday night's showing, I trust in our current manager a hell of a lot more than our previous one to come up with that perfect blend. 

Although I have some questions I feel it’s been a great window. 

I would be very interested to compare the average age of our squad 18 months ago to now. I suspect we have gone from having one of the oldest to one of the youngest. We have seen occasional bursts of vigour in the last couple of years but we have lacked youthful energy. This time round I think we really do have an experienced spine supported by the right numbers of hungry skilled young ‘uns. 

Not long to go until we see New Derby playing at home - it’s going to be the most interesting of seasons. Frank changed the culture and I am hoping Cocu will see it embedded 

48 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

As for the rest of the incomings, Clarke stands out a mile for me.  I think he'll prove to be a very shrewd deal, and come October most people will have stopped pining for Tomori.

Overall I'm happy with the window.  The squad on paper isn't quite as exciting as last years, but it's not about the individuals, it's about getting the right mix of them.  And one Monday night's showing, I trust in our current manager a hell of a lot more than our previous one to come up with that perfect blend. 

We didn’t know much about the loans last year when we signed them - they demonstrated how good they were then we got excited if you get me. 

I’m still in shock over the Rooney thing - doesn’t feel real but I agree that the other signings are underwhelming. A cynic would say that Rooney is a smoke screen because if we hadn’t have signed him (or Bielik - hmm this point is falling apart as I type..) then we’d all be pretty disappointed with the signings wouldn’t we. 

Based on the Huddersfield game I’m properly excited about the season. Clark looks perfect for what we need and if Lawro puts half that shift in then we’re in for an entertaining season. 

Wage budget has been massively reduced- end of story 

Paterson generally starts well so it will be interesting to see him although I have only seen him on the left at his 3 previous clubs 

how we break teams down at home may be issue we I’ll worry about 

if Marriott is to play he usually needs someone with him up front to be properly effective 

Archived