Scott Sinclair - signed for PNE

DcFc Dyycheee

So...

1) Players who were unattached / free agents by the close of the transfer deadline can be signed outside of the transfer window.

2) Players who were contracted by the close of the deadline but became unattached / free agents since can't be signed until the next transfer window.

Whilst understanding that '2' would be open to abuse, it would seem odd to treat these players differently. 

Unless we are saying the the restriction is on when clubs can make any signings ... ie that they cannot sign anyone outside of the transfer window - including '1'.

But the overseas transfer windows close later than that in the UK.

So taking the 'open to abuse' line, would this not enable a UK club to transfer a player to a club in a country with a later-to-close transfer window enabling another UK club to immediately and legitimately transfer the player to their club? This would, in effect, align the UK transfer window with that of the overseas country

Mel... I think 5% to me is reasonable if so.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

https://readceltic.com/2019/08/09/sinclair-tells-celtic-he-wants-to-leave-amid-Derby-interest-should-lennon-let-him-go/- We were supposedly in for him yesterday the deal never materialised, but this suggests he still wants to join us, maybe on a free transfer I am not sure exactly about how a deal could  be done.

Regurgitated tat.  Were we in for him. Course we were - FootballInsider said we were. I wonder what percentage of the ******** they exclusively released in the last few weeks materialised. I suspect 2/3 of 3/8 of 4/5 of feck all.

17 minutes ago, DCFC Ram said:

So...

1) Players who were unattached / free agents by the close of the transfer deadline can be signed outside of the transfer window.

2) Players who were contracted by the close of the deadline but became unattached / free agents since can't be signed until the next transfer window.

Whilst understanding that '2' would be open to abuse, it would seem odd to treat these players differently. 

Unless we are saying the the restriction is on when clubs can make any signings ... ie that they cannot sign anyone outside of the transfer window - including '1'.

So taking the 'open to abuse' line, would this not enable a UK club to transfer a player to a club in a country with a later-to-close transfer window enabling another UK club to immediately and legitimately transfer the player to their club? This would, in effect, align the UK transfer window with that of the overseas country

No because he was registered to a club when OUR window closed. Earliest we could sign anybody that is CURRENTLY registered is Jan, hence why Rooney couldn’t cancel his contract in October when his current season ends.

ww could only sign players that were free before 1700 yesterday  

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

“Players registered at any level including on a Non-Contract registration are not deemed to have ‘out of registration player’ status if still registered during a Closed Period”

so a player registered to a club at any point during the time the transfer window is closed, can not register with another club until the next window is open.

2 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

are you sure?

Yes I am sure. 

1 hour ago, DCFC Ram said:

So...

Your summary is off. If Derby wanted sign Scott Sinclair we would have to wait until January as our window has closed.

If Celtic released Sinclair from his contract we would not be able to sign him until January as he was registered as a Celtic player yesterday when our transfer window closed. However if Rangers or Aberdeen or Hibs wanted to sign him he would be able to at any point, even after their window had closed as he was not attached to a club at the point their transfer window closed.

If Celtic had released him at any point upto 4.59pm yesterday we could sign him whenever we wanted as he was a free agent when our window closed.

As @EnigmaRam points out, this is the very ruling that stops us from playing Rooney before January, as even though he will no longer be a DC Utd player once their season ends, and therefore a "free agent" he was contracted to them when our window closed yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

If that is the ruling, he would be a great player to get in for a January boost. As I can see Bristol taking Paterson back off us.

There’s no way.

Apparently he’s said he hates Bristol. 

Genuine question to those more knowledgeable about the transfer situation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49370052

Charlton have signed Bolton forward Erhun Oztumer on a free transfer.

The 28-year-old left financially-troubled Wanderers earlier on Friday - leaving the club with just five senior players ahead of their trip to Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

Does this mean if Sinclair's contract was terminated we'd be able to sign him? Or is this guys a special case because of the Bolton financial problems?

(I don't think we'll be signing Sinclair anyway, but just an interesting exercise in theory)

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Genuine question to those more knowledgeable about the transfer situation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49370052

Charlton have signed Bolton forward Erhun Oztumer on a free transfer.

The 28-year-old left financially-troubled Wanderers earlier on Friday - leaving the club with just five senior players ahead of their trip to Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

Does this mean if Sinclair's contract was terminated we'd be able to sign him? Or is this guys a special case because of the Bolton financial problems?

(I don't think we'll be signing Sinclair anyway, but just an interesting exercise in theory)

It'll be a special case.

I'd imagine that technically his contract was null and void prior to the deadline due to unpaid wages (they haven't been paid for months).

24 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It'll be a special case.

I'd imagine that technically his contract was null and void prior to the deadline due to unpaid wages (they haven't been paid for months).

I thought that when I read about the situation, I'm not so sure that's the case though having read through the EFL rules.

If you read through the Section 1 - General rules it gives a definition for both Out of Contract and Out of Registration players:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-1----general/

‘Out of Contract Player’ means a Contract Player whose contract of employment with a Club has expired.

‘Out of Registration Player’ shall mean any Player who has not at any time been registered with a Member Club (or club), or if he has been so registered his registration (including as a Contract Player or Non-Contract Player, or equivalent registration in any other league) expired or was cancelled at any time prior to the end of a Transfer Window (and in the case of the Summer Transfer Window, the applicable end date is that applied to Clubs in Leagues One and Two in accordance with Regulation 42.2.2) and he has not since been registered with any Club (or club).

and then Section 6 - Players talks about Registration of players:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

43 Registration of Players

43.1 Unless otherwise permitted by Regulation 43.2, registrations of Players are only permitted during a Transfer Window.

43.2 Subject always to the provisions of Regulation 43.3, after the expiry of each Transfer Window in each Season registrations of Players and transfers of registrations will, except as permitted in Regulation 57, be declined or will only be approved:

43.2.1 where the Player is an Out of Registration Player;

43.3 Where any new registration or transfer of a Player is received by The League after 5pm on the fourth Thursday in March in each Season, that Player will not be eligible to play in any match organised by The League in that Season, except as permitted in Regulation 57.

The wording of those two together doesn't seem to suggest that Championship clubs can't also sign them?

Edit: FYI the Regulation 57 mentioned refers to Emergency Goalkeeper Loans.

If there is any chance we can sign him, we know how much Mel likes his loopholes, we could do with making it happen. We're lacking quality out wide and he could certainly help. I don't think he's a great player by any stretch, but he's better than what we have. 

Reading the Charlton forum, he had requested to be released from his contract, due to not being paid, before the window closed. Bolton refused, so he appealed and was granted permission this week.  Presumably the EFL are using some common sense and allowing him to be signed now, rather than making him wait until January and go another 4 months without pay.

From the EFL rules website:

43.2.3 if agreed by The League (including where the Player was last registered with a Club (or club) which has ceased to trade, including during the Closed Period) subject to such conditions as determined by The League and by which the Club making the application and the Player shall be bound.

Which by my reading, basically gives the EFL license to allow anyone to be registered under extenuating circumstances.  

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Reading the Charlton forum, he had requested to be released from his contract, due to not being paid, before the window closed. Bolton refused, so he appealed and was granted permission this week.  Presumably the EFL are using some common sense and allowing him to be signed now, rather than making him wait until January and go another 4 months without pay.

From the EFL rules website:

43.2.3 if agreed by The League (including where the Player was last registered with a Club (or club) which has ceased to trade, including during the Closed Period) subject to such conditions as determined by The League and by which the Club making the application and the Player shall be bound.

Which by my reading, basically gives the EFL license to allow anyone to be registered under extenuating circumstances.  

That makes a lot of sense - Thanks for the input ?

Nice to see the EFL showing a (rare) piece of common sense

Bristol fans are talking about the same thing, not about Sinclair, but a defender due to a passing comment that Johnson said in an interview of 'adapting the rules of foreign transfer market'. 

They've derived that a player could pay out his own contract and providing he's out of contract before 2nd September 2019 then they would be eligible to sign them. It sounds a bit dodgy to me, but thought I would pass it on.

Imagine if we signed a player outside the transfer window, oohhhhhhh how the piss would boil! 

The one thing the rules seem really muddled on, is the transfer windows closing on different days in different countries.  There's no acknowledgement (that I can see) of the fact that the English window may have closed, but the Spanish one is still open.  So it's not remotely clear what happens if a player that is registered in Spain cancels his contract while their window is open, and then tries to sign for an English club while ours is closed.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

The one thing the rules seem really muddled on, is the transfer windows closing on different days in different countries.  There's no acknowledgement (that I can see) of the fact that the English window may have closed, but the Spanish one is still open.  So it's not remotely clear what happens if a player that is registered in Spain cancels his contract while their window is open, and then tries to sign for an English club while ours is closed.

Their status on the day that our window closed is the main factor. 

Archived