Rooney v Mount cost/benefit

Gringo

Rooney's wages would appear to be similar to the deal that Mount has got from Chelsea for his new 5 year deal, although the Rooney deal appears to have been underwritten by 32 RED and has the added benefit of significantly avoiding FFP on 50% of the cost

Taken from todays daily Telegraph "Lampard quickly told Mount he would not be leaving on loan and would instead be part of his squad. The club further underlined their faith in him by handing him a new five-year contract worth around £77,000-a-week."

Who would give the best value to the Rams, taking all things into consideration and in my opinion the signing of Rooney seems by far the best deal for the following reasons; 

• We are not paying his wages 
  • Avoids FFP 
  • Will generate a lot of non match day income
  • Rooney a better player
  • Significantly increases the profile of the club which will yield further sponsorship
  • Increased TV coverage Rams v Man U FA cup anyone?

Another MM masterstroke

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well depends on which way you’re looking at mount. If you’re considering a theoretical world where we could sign him permanently on that deal, then you’d have to consider that he’d be around longer and would develop into the player he has the potential to. That could arguably make him the better value in the long term. However if you’re just looking at mount in the case of what we actually got from him, a loan paying those wages, then there’s no real question about it- rooney is surely the better value as he’s our player. And for some of the reasons you given, the ffp loophole (possibly), the financial benefits he’ll give in terms of sponsorship, shirt sales, match tickets, tv coverage etc, and of course the fact at this point in time, Rooney could well still be too good for this division and tear it apart- which could massively boost our prospects of finally getting promoted, if we can be in the mix when he joins.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No

Time to stop this myth.

His wages are his wages, no percentage of them can be disregarded for P&S reasons for coaching purposes. If they could, every player in the division would have extra duties!

4 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

Rooney's wages would appear to be similar to the deal that Mount has got from Chelsea for his new 5 year deal, although the Rooney deal appears to have been underwritten by 32 RED and has the added benefit of significantly avoiding FFP on 50% of the cost

Taken from todays daily Telegraph "Lampard quickly told Mount he would not be leaving on loan and would instead be part of his squad. The club further underlined their faith in him by handing him a new five-year contract worth around £77,000-a-week."

Who would give the best value to the Rams, taking all things into consideration and in my opinion the signing of Rooney seems by far the best deal for the following reasons; 

• Avoids FFP 
  • Rooney a better player
  • Significantly increases the profile of the club which will yield further sponsorship

Another MM masterstroke

Has to be acknowledged that Rooney is arriving at DCFC from a significantly inferior standard of football.  

4 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

• Avoids FFP 
  • Rooney a better player

Another MM masterstroke

Don't get this at all. Mount was the most influential player we had last season. To have him in the team , developing as a player  seems an infinitely better deal than having old lag Rooney, whatever his off-field influence. Its no good being distracted by the player Rooney WAS, he is now making his third move from the top level.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Time to stop this myth.

His wages are his wages, no percentage of them can be disregarded for P&S reasons for coaching purposes. If they could, every player in the division would have extra duties!

exactly

5 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Surely if sponsorship has increased as a direct cause of Rooney signing plus increase of shirt sales higher attendances etc etc

That’s the sums Pearce was doing in his head - plus weighing up whether he could be a factor in either or both of a) gaining promotion and b) inspiring a couple of the kids to break through.

end of the day.....P&S is a timing of cash flow thing. Any deal should have some cold financial logic to it before you get to that stage.

7 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Surely if sponsorship has increased as a direct cause of Rooney signing plus increase of shirt sales higher attendances etc etc

Just what I was thinking. I'm no expert and am prepared tp be ridiculed but, if 32Red say we'll give you an extra £x if you sign Rooney, give him the number 32 shirt and he works with us, isn't this offsetting a good chunk of his wages for FFP purposes as commercial income is included?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Just what I was thinking. I'm no expert and am prepared tp be ridiculed but, if 32Red say we'll give you an extra £x if you sign Rooney, give him the number 32 shirt and he works with us, isn't this offsetting a good chunk of his wages for FFP purposes as commercial income is included?

That's my understanding of it too.  They either give us an increased monthly figure or lump sum that goes onto the balance sheet as income and is either converted into profit or used to pay outgoings, such as wages.  I don't think it goes directly to Mr Rooney

Archived