How do we measure the success of #WR32?

Jourdan

I've been a bit surprised about the varied reactions to this signing. 

I don't know a lot about Rooney other than his obvious past footballing ability. 

What I am impressed with is his commitment to seeing out his current season with DC United, and the fact that he will then come home for the benefit of his family. I like that.

I hope he's still got enough in the locker to produce performances on the pitch but that remains to be seen. But the lift for the players, who will all want to play alongside him in January, will impact right now as they strive to impress.

The impact on fans will also be a mainly positive one. 

But by far the biggest impact will be on revenue streams for the club and I can't see how this can be anything other than positive. Unless we opt out of supporting our club, we all at least tolerate the commercial side of the game. To say otherwise is hypocritical. So I applaud Mel Morris and Stephen Pearce for making this possible. Mel's been quoted on tv tonight saying it is already having an impact on sales of season tickets and there will be a big increase in Rams TV subscriptions when he arrives. This is on top of the Bet 32 money. That extra revenue will pay for more than Rooney, it might buy us a better player for next season, or help pay the wages of the players we have already signed. 

Back to the football. I think Rooney will help to maintain that enthusiasm for the game we generated last year and I am looking forward to it greatly. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

He'll help us get out of the annual new year slump.

This is what I was going to post, I think he’ll have such a positive impact on the whole squad it wouldn’t surprise me if the under 23s and under 18s go unbeaten the whole month as well. ?

Wayne Rooney is going to be playing in a Rams shirt, the country’s greatest ever goal scorer. I had the privilege of seeing him rip up the Euros over in Portugal, pure class, and I would have never believed at that time or the period that followed I would ever get to see him play in the shirt for the team I support.

This is the biggest transfer coup for the club (in my time), you don’t need barometers for success, when he puts on the Rams shirt on the pitch just remind yourself who this is and that you have the pleasure of watching him play for your club, these opportunities just don’t happen for Derby.  

The closet we ever got to matching this kind of signing was Roberto Baggio and that was decades ago, and in recent years we have had the likes of  Sammon, Blackman, Jerome, Camara, it’s already a success.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What does Rooney have to achieve for this signing to be considered a success?

The commercial and financial benefits of the deal don’t really interest me. I don’t really care about how many shirts we sell, how many Instagram followers we have, how many fairweather fans we attract, whether this brings in new money to the club, or how many headlines we make.

In my mind, it has to be a move that won’t jeopardise the club’s financial future.

But it’s equally as important that Rooney has to be the catalyst for promotion. If we don’t get promoted, I am struggling to see how anyone can classify the move as a success. 

Of course, one player doesn’t make a team and we have other players who will be very important for us this season, but for a club that have been pushing for promotion for the past five years, surely a player of Rooney’s unrivalled quality, profile, experience and influence has to make the difference?

Could he be worth the extra 10-15 points we might need to get ourselves over the line?

For this deal to make sense, the end goal has to be promotion. If in two years’ time we are still in the Championship, people will wonder whether we could have invested our time, energy and money into other players with a lesser profile but possibly a better fit for the team.

Thoughts?

How can you not be interested in whether or not this brings new money into the club or an increase in shirt sales, yet be concerned about the clubs financial future?

Just thought I’d drop my thoughts here...

Rooney probably won’t play every game but one thing is for sure, unlike our match winner Harry Wilson last season, Rooney won’t go missing in games. He is the kind of player that will drag you through difficult times, produce moments of magic and grab points via goals and assists in matches where a draw looks on the cards. That right there is where Rooney will benefit us.

He will be judged by his contribution to the team. I can promise you he will absolutely not be comfortable just hanging around, he’s here to score goals and win.

He’s dragged DC United from average to playoff contenders. He’s moved them up the table by a dozen or so places. If he moves us up by 4 places we’re promoted automatically.

He’s 2 years younger than Hernandez, the best player in the league (until January). He’s not 38 year old Ashley Cole, he’s a similar age to Huddlestone. 

He's a free transfer. If he's on the reported £80k a week then thats 6m over the 18 month contract. We've paid that for a player before & had to pay a players wages on top of that 

We've got players off the books that probably amount to more than rooneys wages so probably as a club we are not paying out any more

We can't judge him until he plays but every time ive seen him play he's busting a lung to run the length of the pitch to make a tackle. So im sure he'll give 100%

27 minutes ago, ossieram said:

How can you not be interested in whether or not this brings new money into the club or an increase in shirt sales, yet be concerned about the clubs financial future?

I'm not saying that I'm concerned about our financial future. 

Although could you blame me if I were? You only have to look at how the club was financially mismanaged in the past to understand that we can't blindly accept and endorse every decision the club makes, even if it looks smart and ambitious on the surface.

I'm saying for the move to be a success, we have to win promotion and for our finances to be unaffected. If that is achieved, bravo Mel.

But there is not enough clear cut information on the deal to know how much of a financial commitment the club are making to Rooney and it's anyone guess as to the extent of the positive commercial impact of the signing. Most of us assume it'll be Rooney-mania, but it's just an assumption.

We can only measure his success with what he does on the pitch. Any financial advantages are the concern of those running the club. Fortunately, he will want to prove that he is able to match the rest of the team with his work-rate and general contribution; that is his character. Hope he doesn't get injured in his last few games in the MLS. ?

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For this deal to make sense, the end goal has to be promotion. If in two years’ time we are still in the Championship, people will wonder whether we could have invested our time, energy and money into other players with a lesser profile but possibly a better fit for the team.

Thoughts?

It's not Rooneys fault if we don't get promoted. If he scores shed-loads and we get promoted then he's the man!

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What does Rooney have to achieve for this signing to be considered a success?

The commercial and financial benefits of the deal don’t really interest me. I don’t really care about how many shirts we sell, how many Instagram followers we have, how many fairweather fans we attract, whether this brings in new money to the club, or how many headlines we make.

In my mind, it has to be a move that won’t jeopardise the club’s financial future.

But it’s equally as important that Rooney has to be the catalyst for promotion. If we don’t get promoted, I am struggling to see how anyone can classify the move as a success. 

Of course, one player doesn’t make a team and we have other players who will be very important for us this season, but for a club that have been pushing for promotion for the past five years, surely a player of Rooney’s unrivalled quality, profile, experience and influence has to make the difference?

Could he be worth the extra 10-15 points we might need to get ourselves over the line?

Thoughts?

You're not interested in the financial benefits, yet you want it to not jeopardise the financial future of the club?

The financial benefits mean there is no jeopardy.

You contradict like you are Danny Mills.

This has been said in some regard, however, my take...cuz...forum:) 

The question of 'how do we measure success' is really a two part question/answer. And very much an individual experience.

1. We as fans want 32 to knock in double digit goals, and high single digit assists...job done, great signing. 

2. The club will want to recoup as much (and then some) money as has been spent, along with raising the profile of the club, along with attracting on-field/off-field/investor talent. 

Answer: It's not that simple. 

We can't really quantify  how effective any player has been for the club until years later. That's why I struggle with fans/friends who deal in absolutes... 'if x-player doesn't get x-goals, that means failure/success'. That just doesn't work as a solid measuring stick. 

Sport is filled with passion, yet we want assurances...that is not how it works ? 

Enjoy Rooney's brilliance that will pop up from time to time...revel in Toms ability to skate through  defenders and bang in a 25 yard screamer, sit in awe of Roos finger-tipping a match tie-ing free kick in the 92'nd minute. Also, sulk when Roos bobbles a cross into the oncoming path of an opposing striker, lament when Tom steps on his own feet when a simple-early-cross would have worked, and head-in-hands when Rooney blazes a match winner past an open net. 

All of these things happen...it all makes the game so much fun, and so very powerful. 

How do we measure success of 32? Did you enjoy your time with him at the club? Success. 

coyr!

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Although could you blame me if I were? You only have to look at how the club was financially mismanaged in the past to understand that we can't blindly accept and endorse every decision the club makes, even if it looks smart and ambitious on the surface.

I'm saying for the move to be a success, we have to win promotion and for our finances to be unaffected. If that is achieved, bravo Mel.

But there is not enough clear cut information on the deal to know how much of a financial commitment the club are making to Rooney and it's anyone guess as to the extent of the positive commercial impact of the signing. Most of us assume it'll be Rooney-mania, but it's just an assumption.

"I am confident that the Wayne Rooney deal will be a net profit for the club"

Mel Morris, 6th August 2019.

Mel will be judged on what happens to DCFC at the end of the day. You don't have to blindly accept or endorse his decisions.

You can however choose to support your football club and get behind a bloke who is a life long Derby fan and is doing everything in his power to get his home town club into the Premier League with a half decent chance of staying there, with a thriving academy and a superb infrastructure.

If he continues to wind up the gumps and the dirties along the way then all the better!

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Yes WE ALL hear what you are saying Jourdon you say if we dont get promotion it will be down to Rooney read ever post carefully and you will see what normal fans expect of him.Yes every single person with any sort of interest in Derby longs for promotion but only you seem to think that it hangs on Rooney.My advice to you is these are exciting times on a par with the coming of Cloughie .So it back and enjoy

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Absolutely spot on. 

4 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Yes WE ALL hear what you are saying Jourdan you say if we dont get promotion it will be down to Rooney read ever post carefully and you will see what normal fans expect of him.Yes every single person with any sort of interest in Derby longs for promotion but only you seem to think that it hangs on Rooney.My advice to you is these are exciting times on a par with the coming of Cloughie .So it back and enjoy

You are twisting my words to fit your argument. You are putting a negative slant on what I am saying.

I’ll say it again, I think Rooney is a fantastic player and far too good for the Championship. He is well above and beyond the calibre of player every club in the division could normally attract, and it’s only natural because he is such a good player that expectations will increase.

Be honest, we are not signing a player of such incredible calibre to ‘sit back and enjoy the ride’, are we? Are we at Alton Towers or are we fans of a football club?

Do you think Mel will be sitting in the directors’ box if we are 10th in May thinking to himself ‘Well this is fun!’?

You sign a player of that calibre to make a difference. You sign a player of that calibre to win. You sign a player of that calibre to achieve success. 

Rooney signing for Derby is the equivalent of Lionel Messi signing for Tottenham.

If we apply your same logic, Spurs fans should be happy and relaxed with finishing 3rd and winning no silverware because watching Messi week in week out would be enough.

By your same logic, those expecting Spurs to win league titles and trophies because they’ve signed Messi would be being unreasonable.

By your same logic, signing Messi and paying him £700,000 a week should invite no extra pressure or expectation at all.

I don’t know any Tottenham fans personally but I feel confident in saying that if they actually signed Messi, expectation levels would be off the charts and I find that a completely normal reaction.

When Lampard arrived last year, quite a few on here, thought this was a ridiculous decision, as he hadn't managed before,

what they didn't take into account was the effect it had on the players, not only the current ones, but the new ones that

suddenly perceived Derby differently. The effort, passion and determination to win matches (apart from those 3) was infectious

and that's what we are going to get again, apart from all the financial increases. This is a win win situation, enjoy the ride  and

hopefully we can go that little bit extra  ?

Just the same as we judge any of our other players.

Obviously as he moves into more of a coaching role this will change.

The fact that this move would appear to be pretty much a free hit should actually put less pressure on the move.

The only way I can see this going wrong is if he is guaranteed a place in the team despite not performing but let's be honest as soon as he has his first bad game the rumour mill will churn out '32 Red insisted that he had to play as part of the sponsorship deal'.

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

You and I don't have any right to blindly accept or endorse a club decision. Its not our money apart from the trivial amount from our STs and we do not have any real info on the deal to make a judgement. Besides if we don't accept it "whatchoo gonna do", as the song says. Ring up Mel and give him his papers?

32 Red must be ecstatic over the coverage they have had already and he's not even here yet! 

the coverage alone over here (Ireland) as quadrupled with Rooney signing, it lifts the club profile and may gain a few more fans with this.... that is a bonus for starters.. the profile alone has gone thro the roof with lampard then cocu and now Rooney even mel morris has been talked about over here after his talk sport interview 

Archived