Jurgen Locadia - Joined Hoffenheim

Heisenberg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is more suited as a striker. The other night Waghorn found it hard to hold the ball up and win headers so Cocu may want someone in who can do that well. Martin may well be moved on and Marriott and Waghorn fully fit would be very strong attacking options too. Waghorn can play out wide so he can cover both a striker and a winger roll.....

From the players we've been linked with, IMO he would fit us best. Can play in every roles up top, so fluid movement which seems to be required, shouldn't be a problem. Makes intelligent runs, can carry the ball....Would also offer some size and strength, which is always helpful. 

I would have Ibe, Ayew or Murphy over Josefzoon, but not over Holmes nor Lawrence. Locadia I think would top them all, even Duane.

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Cocu clearly knows best

Agreed! No one can fault what Cocu has done to this side, his signings have been shrewd, looking at quality and potential before making his move.

We have just signed Wayne Rooney and won our first game of the season away at newly relegated Huddersfield.

Lets trust the man and let him do it his way. 

Suggested him as soon as we first brought Cocu in. Locadia played much of his games on the wing due to the emergence of players like De Jong. 

One thing to note about the Eridivisie is that most teams play with two types of 'wingers'. The first being the traditional wide man crossing and generally staying out of the box. Example being 'Zoon for us. 

However PSV have set up with the second type for a while now. All of their wingers playing as secondary strikers. Lozano, Depay being examples, both spend as much time in the box as outside of it. 

Locadia is exactly the same, similair style to Waghorn as a right attacker rather than a winger. Much bigger built and technically a magnificent player however. 

To be honest, it's difficult to conjure reasons why we couldn't get someone, now we've signed Rooney ? 

Pre-Rooney I'd have said this guys above our level of signing but now, why not?

34 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I think he is more suited as a striker. The other night Waghorn found it hard to hold the ball up and win headers so Cocu may want someone in who can do that well. Martin may well be moved on and Marriott and Waghorn fully fit would be very strong attacking options too. Waghorn can play out wide so he can cover both a striker and a winger roll.....

From what we read about his style at PSV, I did wonder whether a new, bigger striker might be on the cards. Waggy and Marriott are both great options. Be a shame if we don't use them.

24 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Agreed! No one can fault what Cocu has done to this side, his signings have been shrewd, looking at quality and potential before making his move.

We have just signed Wayne Rooney and won our first game of the season away at newly relegated Huddersfield.

Lets trust the man and let him do it his way. 

Failing quality players who have lost motivation are meat and drink to a man like Cocu who can get the best out of players. He will buy talent especially if it is surplus to requirements. Shrewd is the word. He is different class. The enthusiasm the Dutch dudes showed when we scored against Huddersfield was amazing to see.

Locadia seems to have really struggled at Brighton so him being forced to move down to second division level would be no surprise. He seems to have been good under cocu previously mind at PSV, certainly his numbers suggest he was a decent goalscorer, and he must have trusted him to have decent quality to play him at the level of PSV. I’d take him if cocu can get his PSV form back definitely. Will be one driven by him if it does happen. Seems to have played striker and on the wing across his career, so I’d presume he’d be coming here as a winger given that’s what we’re after. Still on 25 so not one for the short term which is good.

Be interesting to see what sort of a bid for him we’d make, loan or perm, and whether Brighton would let him go.

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Waghorn needs to take more of the chances to score that he gets otherwise he will be replaced. He needs to score fifteen goals a season

yep, tough old world in professional football, paid a lot should deliver a lot.  My main criticism over the last few years is that we haven't been decisive enough in whether a player is good enough and leaving it far too late to move them on.  You can't get it right all the time but we have certainly got it wrong on many occasions by keeping players in the forlorn hope they turn good.  Some of these problems have been created by excessive salaries.

50 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Waghorn needs to take more of the chances to score that he gets otherwise he will be replaced. He needs to score fifteen goals a season

It's only been one game though? And one where he perhaps had one good chance and forced the keeper into a very good save. 

His goal record when played up front last season was pretty solid. He scored 7 in 1215 minutes of playing up front which works out as around a goal every 174 mins. For comparison Mariott scored 10 in 1959 mins or a goal every 196 mins. Suggesting there isn't a huge difference in how prolific they are.  

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

I think if he's consistently played up top then this is more than attainable. Had a decent game on Saturday and unlucky not to score just before half time. 

Locardia seems a bit like an Assombalonga to me but can't see it happening as Brighton spent a fortune on him. 

30 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I think if he's consistently played up top then this is more than attainable. Had a decent game on Saturday and unlucky not to score just before half time

Locardia seems a bit like an Assombalonga to me but can't see it happening as Brighton spent a fortune on him. 

Presumably its not hard to have scored on Saturday when faced with an open net? After all, Huddersfield didn't turn up until Monday ?

Archived