How much is Rooney REALLY on?

Bilbo

3 hours ago, KCG said:

Sigh... I'm not buying into all this hype around Rooney. It's a commercial deal and the footballing/coaching element comes way down the list in importance. Mel wanted 3rd party investment and this is what it's about.

Ah well, just enjoy the good times like this whilst they last. If in 2008 someone had said we'd be signing Wayne Rooney we'd have all laughed at them

If/when things go south in future decades its a fun memory for us to have to see us through, a lot like some of the older fans now with dave mackay/clough. 

I've been clinging onto stimac and asanovic for the past 20 years, maybe I can move on now ???

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!!!! 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ram59 said:

We saw the Lampard affect last season with extra tv coverage. 

How many extra games at over 100k per game are we likely to have in the next 2 seasons? 

I would estimate at around 15-20 games bringing in at least 2 million, when you add on extra advertising revenue. 

That would be an utter joke. They shaft us enough as it is.

30 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Ah well, just enjoy the good times like this whilst they last. If in 2008 someone had said we'd be signing Wayne Rooney we'd have all laughed at them

If/when things go south in future decades its a fun memory for us to have to see us through, a lot like some of the older fans now with dave mackay/clough. 

I've been clinging onto stimac and asanovic for the past 20 years, maybe I can move on now ???

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!!!! 

A 2008 Rooney, now you're talking!

But joking aside it's really about 3rd party investment and I'm fine with that, but I don't much like hype!

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

TV Money
Away - £10,000
Home (Sunday) - £120,000
Home (Thursday) - £140,000
Home (Other) - £100,000

League games on TV last season:
Reading Away
Leeds Home
Sheff Utd Home
WBA Away
Middlesbrough Away
Stoke Away
Forest Home
Sheff Utd Away
Leeds Away
Preston Away
Ipswich Away
Stoke Home
Blackburn Away
Forest Away
WBA Home (Sun)

Total: £620,000

Other games on TV:
Man Utd Away (Cup)
Chelsea Away (Cup)
Playoffs

I think you might be getting a bit carried away with 20 extra games bringing in £2m.

For comparison (and if my memory is correct), the average matchday income per fan per game is only about £13.50. 3,000 extra fans to see Rooney in the ground and that's an extra £405k this season.

Maybe a little carried away, I didn't realise the away fee was so little. But you forgot to add in the 3 fa Cup games making a total of 5 Cup games, bearing in mind that the previous season Derby at Man U was the only non televised Man U cup game for over a decade. 

The league games were 5 home and 10 away. If those stats are swopped and the cup runs repeated, there's your 1 million in a season. 

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Reports of £80k a week didn't sit right with me and I got bored on my commute to London so did some research...

When he moved to Everton from United he was on £300,000 a week with 2 years left on his contract. United paid £192,000 of this, with Everton picking up the remaining £102,000. 

When he moved to DC United, he had a year on his United (and Everton) contract and DC United picked up £42,000 from Everton, meaning last year he was being paid - 

£192,000 - Manchester United

£66,000 - Everton

£42,000 - DC United

His United and Everton contracts expired in June so now he's "only" getting his DC United wage, hence why he's able/willing to come back.

And to think Ikechi Anya is on £34k a week

This commute is long and I love Wayne Rooney.

Who Cares ?? I trust Mel ...what he earns etc is managed by Mel and I trust him with our club why does what he earn concern or worry anyone ? we dont pay his wages

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

Maybe a little carried away, I didn't realise the away fee was so little. But you forgot to add in the 3 fa Cup games making a total of 5 Cup games, bearing in mind that the previous season Derby at Man U was the only non televised Man U cup game for over a decade. 

The league games were 5 home and 10 away. If those stats are swopped and the cup runs repeated, there's your 1 million in a season. 

Sky tend to select the ‘popular’ clubs away more than home to distribute the tv cash ‘fairly’. For example, Leeds have been selected about 20 times in each of the past few seasons but pocket less than £1m cash. You may find clubs like Barnsley who’ll be on for 10 games or less but earn just as much as us. 

14 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Footballers and every working person reaches a stage in their life for the ability to earn the maximum income .He has passed his max and is on the downward slope as a player only.

Like many other players he his now looking to move into other areas to try and satisfy is income needs and ambitions this happens in all professions and working environments .Only time will tell if he succeeds.

and as proven by Lampards swift rise to the top...... no doubt Rooney will have observed that DCFC can be a useful stepping stone

1 hour ago, Shang said:

Article on Sky Sports: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/11779498/wayne-rooney-frank-lampard-suggested-Derby-county-sign-striker-a-year-ago

Lampard suggested getting Rooney last year.

32Red NOT paying any part of his wages.

But, the club have negotiated a new deal with 32red for shirt sponsorship. Its no coincidence that his squad number is 32. So they're giving Derby an extra sum of money which will help pay his wages. 

So, in practise, they are paying for part of his wages, just not directly. 

No matter how much he's on - and I think even the sensationalist reports top out at £100k a week - it's still good value.

32red are paying us a few million and/or Rooney a few million also to wear the no.32 - don't tell me that didn't come cheap for one the the world's most famous players to wear that coincidental number.  Either way their financial input will most likely reduce our financial wages exposure to around 40k a week or less, not far off what we're supposed to be paying Chris Martin and not much more than we were paying several players we've recently got rid of.

A total of £7.5m max over the 18 month contract in an age where unproven Championship players are changing hands for £10-£25m. They certainly won't be raising their respective club's profiles to the same extent or generating similar sponsorship and merchandising revenues.

Even at £100k a week it's a financial and PR coup before he's even kicked a ball. 

Cost of signing Wayne Rooney - £0

Cost of paying Wayne Rooney  - £0 to £7.5m

Opportunity for the roller coaster ride - Priceless! 

Archived