Rooney Performances @ D.C. United

David

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Rooney just tweeted that the whole Vanvouver story was fabricated by the Sun to sell papers - stated Enough is Enough, so I guess it's all going to get legal.....

Hmmm, so his name sells newspapers and he's not happy. 

Does he know that Derby are commercially exploiting him as well? I guess the difference is that he gets paid handsomely at the same time. 

Wayne might find himself in a bit of a quandary come January.....

Being

9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Does he know that Derby are commercially exploiting him as well? I guess the difference is that he gets paid handsomely at the same time. 

I'm far from a Rooney fan-boy, but how happy would you feel about a completely fabricated story about you all over the front page of the Derby Telegraph?

Seems to me he's every right to get upset if they're potentially damaging his marriage via a high profile piece of fiction - and yes, there is a huge difference to being 'exploited' when he agrees to it (and for which he's being rewarded)

13 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Being

I'm far from a Rooney fan-boy, but how happy would you feel about a completely fabricated story about you all over the front page of the Derby Telegraph?

Seems to me he's every right to get upset if they're potentially damaging his marriage via a high profile piece of fiction - and yes, there is a huge difference to being 'exploited' when he agrees to it (and for which he's being rewarded)

Fair comment. I just find the whole Rooney / Derby thing a bit unedifying. 

On 28/08/2019 at 22:01, CWC1983 said:

Really? So you genuinely can't see the difference between a sportsman willingly signing a contract that's been thrashed out by agents, lawyers and club officials and a newspaper trying to destroy his marriage and personal life by printing lies about him? 

5 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Really? So you genuinely can't see the difference between a sportsman willingly signing a contract that's been thrashed out by agents, lawyers and club officials and a newspaper trying to destroy his marriage and personal life by printing lies about him? 

So it';s OK with you then for Rooney to be splashed all over the back pages when he is signing a contract or sponsorship but not OK when he is splashed all over the front pages for various indiscretions you think they shouldn't be published because according to you they are lies

Was it a lie then when Rooney was 1 point away from being 3 times over the drink drive limit in September 2017 and shouldn't have been printed.

Was it a lie when he was arrested for being drunk at Washington Dalles Airport, taking sleeping pills and drink ,according to Rooney

Of course things like that are going to be printed

6 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

We dont know if its lies, do we? If so, and Ive missed the apology from the media being reported then fair enough, thats not on. He does have history. 

Agree, he's signed his contract willingly, but for the club to come out straight away and say the deal pays for itself, the sponsors are paying, more tickets, shirt sales etc was in my view not called for. It sounded like Rooney was a cash cow waiting to be used and abused. 

Nothing against Rooney at all, id just prefer a little lower profile.  

14 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

So it';s OK with you then for Rooney to be splashed all over the back pages when he is signing a contract or sponsorship but not OK when he is splashed all over the front pages for various indiscretions you think they shouldn't be published because according to you they are lies

Was it a lie then when Rooney was 1 point away from being 3 times over the drink drive limit in September 2017 and shouldn't have been printed.

Was it a lie when he was arrested for being drunk at Washington Dalles Airport, taking sleeping pills and drink ,according to Rooney

Of course things like that are going to be printed

Absolutely they should because they are matters of fact and in the public interest given his profile. These sorts of stories thought are very different.

12 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

We dont know if its lies, do we? If so, and Ive missed the apology from the media being reported then fair enough, thats not on. He does have history. 

Agree, he's signed his contract willingly, but for the club to come out straight away and say the deal pays for itself, the sponsors are paying, more tickets, shirt sales etc was in my view not called for. It sounded like Rooney was a cash cow waiting to be used and abused. 

This is The Sun you're talking about. It took them about a quarter of a century to apologise for Hillsborough so you've got no chance with this. 

Regards the club's comments, it's an interesting one. I think Mel had to say what he said simply because all the questions being asked of him involved how can we afford it within FFP. The answer? It makes more than it costs. It's a fair point imo.

17 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Sometimes when a journo asks you a question you have to answer it straight 

Archived