Rooney Performances @ D.C. United

Day

1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

It's improved the last 2 - 3 seasons,most grounds have capacity around the 20,000 mark apart from Atlanta United whose capacity is around 70.000 and full for most matches

Ah yes attendances perhaps on the up. I was thinking more about the standard of football on the pitch. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You obviously watch MLS far more than me, but the standard of defending looks poor from the clips I've seen. To use @LittleEatonRam's example, Bradley Wright-Phillips was a Football League journeyman and is now an MLS legend. 

It certainly can be and they're definitely not as physical as defenders in the Championship, but you see some good football going forward and teams like Rotherham and Millwall from last season would be as bad over here.

The point I was trying to make was simply that I cannot see any reason why Rooney cannot do in the Championship what he is doing here. Some of his goals and assist are simply world class.

And I used Rotherham and Millwall as examples because we lost and I cannot believe that the Rooney I have seen (albeit snippets in fairness because I only ever watch Orlando games) will not make those kind of teams suffer.

52 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

It's improved the last 2 - 3 seasons,most grounds have capacity around the 20,000 mark apart from Atlanta United whose capacity is around 70.000 and full for most matches

Orlando's capacity is just over 25k and they sell out every game. I really ought to go to a game because the atmosphere does look good and from what I'm told the tailgating is excellent. That is about one of the only things I wish we'd import to the English game.

I do love the criticism of the defending in the MLS on here, wonder how many are those that constantly call Keogh out and slag off Malone / Bogle for not stopping crosses, or our inability to defend corners etc etc and we made the PO final! And Keogh, hasn't he been a virtual ever-present in a team that's on average finished what, 6th/7th since he's been here?? Just check Leeds defending (3rd best team last yr) in the semifinal........ 

No pleasing some people 

What ever the opinions regarding the standard of the mls  , I would suspect Rooney will have benefited from playing over their rather than staying with a premiership club.

The day to day pressures and scrutiny will be low key in comparison. Intensity of games a lot less,living in a better climate all will have given him an opportunity to recharge his batteries ,improve his fitness and mental health. Would expect him to join us with the ability to come in and tear this league apart.

If you want to use Johnny Russell's whoscored rating as a yardstick for the MLS, which is actually quite easy to do as he's fairly consistent season to season which is ironic since game to game you never knew who would turn up. 

Championship - 6.84 (6.74 in his last season with us)
MLS - 7.23

Rooney in his last season at Everton averaged 6.64, although since moving he's averaged 7.415. You could suggest that he will be close to averaging 7 in the Championship.  No doubt whatsoever that the Championship is a stronger, more demanding division to the MLS. The MLS obviously has a much wider range of ability, Ibrahimovic would still do a job at our level that I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If you want to use Johnny Russell's whoscored rating as a yardstick for the MLS, which is actually quite easy to do as he's fairly consistent season to season which is ironic since game to game you never knew who would turn up. 

MLS - 7.23

Rooney in his last season at Everton averaged 6.64, although since moving he's averaged 7.415. You could suggest that he will be close to averaging 7 in the Championship.  No doubt whatsoever that the Championship is a stronger, more demanding division to the MLS. The MLS obviously has a much wider range of ability, Ibrahimovic would still do a job at our level that I'm sure. 

6.6-6.7 in the PL is a good range for Champ players, if people want another reason for comfort. ? It's basically what all the best Championship players have scored in their time up there. 
Plenty less, very few more.

On 07/08/2019 at 16:36, Bob The Badger said:

That is ducking outrageous! I hadn't seen that, thanks!

Will this Twitter work?

THAT for me is why he's still absolutely going to be a great player for us in the Championship - It's all very well saying that keeper looks much lower quality than championship keepers etc etc etc but in a game situation very few players are going to hit the top corner from that angle - Rooney can

One of my favourite players of the last few years is Chris Baird - Shaky when he first arrived but after a while was excellent, dependable and just oozed class - There were times when he hit a slightly short pass and then looked confused like "Wait, I used to be able to play passes like that easily" - But the class was still absolutely there - Same with Cole last year

Rooney was better in his prime than Baird and at least as good as Cole - And he's several years younger than when both played for us - So I have confidence he'll be great

Lampard scored 12 goals in 19 games for New York City, at the age of 37/38. I don't think Rooneys goal scoring record is that great, you would expect David villa sort of numbers for Rooney in the MLS. The MLS is League 1/2 standard imo, I watch a lot of the games and the defending leaves a lot to desired.

17 hours ago, cheron85 said:

THAT for me is why he's still absolutely going to be a great player for us in the Championship - It's all very well saying that keeper looks much lower quality than championship keepers etc etc etc but in a game situation very few players are going to hit the top corner from that angle - Rooney can

One of my favourite players of the last few years is Chris Baird - Shaky when he first arrived but after a while was excellent, dependable and just oozed class - There were times when he hit a slightly short pass and then looked confused like "Wait, I used to be able to play passes like that easily" - But the class was still absolutely there - Same with Cole last year

Rooney was better in his prime than Baird and at least as good as Cole - And he's several years younger than when both played for us - So I have confidence he'll be great

That must be the first time anyone has ever compared Wayne Rooney to Chris Baird!

13 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

Lampard scored 12 goals in 19 games for New York City, at the age of 37/38. I don't think Rooneys goal scoring record is that great, you would expect David villa sort of numbers for Rooney in the MLS. The MLS is League 1/2 standard imo, I watch a lot of the games and the defending leaves a lot to desired.

I just wonder if you actually watch any of the MLS games, i have watched almost every game for the last couple of years every weekend when they are shown on Sky. To say they are comparable to League 1/2 is doing an injustice in those leagues, the standard of play is a lot higher than that and don't you think the defending in the Championship can be dire at times. I would say the tempo of the game is not as fast over there but it wouldn't be over here either if we had to play in the same heat  

Rooney has bags of technical ability which will not be effected at 33 years old. Pace and movement maybe, but he was never a player that relied on pace. One of my best friends is an Everton fan, and I watched a lot of Rooney in that season. He was superb until Big Sam came in and had him playing a position that was completely bypassed by his long ball tactics. He will tear the championship a new ass.

I find the suggestion that Rooney's signing is purely centred around commercial interests. He is exatly the sort of player we could have done with today to unlock a stubborn and well drilled Swansea defence. His passing ability and eye for goal will be invaluable this season, not to mention the experience he brings to the side. 

On 09/08/2019 at 08:32, Ambitious said:

MLS - 7.23

I think whenever you you say 'no doubt whatsoever' about something that is so subjective and immeasurable you leave yourself wide open to criticism.

Of that there is no doubt whatsoever.

Archived