Rooney Performances @ D.C. United

Day

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I posted this the other day and it got buried.

Take a look at the goals he scored against Orlando.

One here and one in DC. YouTube will not allow me to embed this one that he scored here and it may be even better than the one he scored in the home game below.

Can't be embedded on here cos it's not available in the UK

See if you can find a clip that isn't by FOX

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I posted this the other day and it got buried.

Take a look at the goals he scored against Orlando.

One here and one in DC. YouTube will not allow me to embed this one that he scored here and it may be even better than the one he scored in the home game below.

Can already see him pulling this off against Leeds when their keeper decides he wants to play attacking midfield mid-game again

This is his best moment at DC United. You might not have the pace he once did, but he absolutely still has the stamina and athleticism necessary to play in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Shang said:

Has anyone seen how much MLS teams charge for kits?!?!?! It's mad.

736402896_Screenshot2019-08-07at13_26_21.thumb.png.a5e2e7e6ca730a9f0027b50f05bcac00.png

Those shirts are not particularly dear (compared to football shirts from some of the other "popular" teams at least), its down to the value of the UK Pound being rubbish.

I remember seeing Barcelona "UNICEF" shirts at the airport there a while back and they were almost as expensive.

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Those shirts are not dear, its down to the value of the UK Pound being rubbish (another Brexit bonus).

What? 

$115 for a shirt in the states is a lot of money. 

That's more than an NFL Jersey costs.

It would be a lot of money regardless of how much the £ is worth. If our £ was worth more, our shirts would cost less respectively.
So if $115 was a good price for a football shirt, our shirts should be costing us £95; which they're not. 

2 hours ago, KCG said:

Sigh... I'm not buying into all this hype around Rooney. It's a commercial deal and the footballing/coaching element comes way down the list in importance. Mel wanted 3rd party investment and this is what it's about.

Have you seen what Rooney has done this season?

He is absolutely tearing it up against competition that sits somewhere between the Championship and the Premier League - although closer to the Championship imho.

He has scored 23 goals in 39 games and been named to the All-Star team.

He may not have that initial burst of pace, but from what I've seen, there's little if any deterioration in his skills.

Look at those games like Rotherham and Millwall away last season - Rooney will make those kind of defences look like mugs

Personally, I want me some of that - the business element is the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

What? 

It's about the same for the replica jerseys, they seem to vary between $99 and $150 for reasons I have no clue.

And if you want the authentic ones i.e. identical to what the players wear, they can cost you over $250. I had a feiend by a Rams one for $300 - which is utterly insane if  you ask me.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

This is his best moment at DC United. You might not have the pace he once did, but he absolutely still has the stamina and athleticism necessary to play in the Championship.

That is ducking outrageous! I hadn't seen that, thanks!

Will this Twitter work?

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

What? 

It would be a lot of money regardless of how much the £ is worth. If our £ was worth more, our shirts would cost less respectively.
So if $115 was a good price for a football shirt, our shirts should be costing us £95; which they're not. 

Also Adidas has a deal with MLS where they make all the jerseys for every team, there's no competition. Similar to how in the Chinese Super League Nike make all the teams jerseys. 

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

He is absolutely tearing it up against competition that sits somewhere between the Championship and the Premier League - although closer to the Championship imho.

He has scored 23 goals in 39 games and been named to the All-Star team.

He may not have that initial burst of pace, but from what I've seen, there's little if any deterioration in his skills.

Look at those games like Rotherham and Millwall away last season - Rooney will make those kind of defences look like mugs

Personally, I want me some of that - the business element is the icing on the cake.

I doubt the overall standard is as good as the Championship.

1 hour ago, KCG said:

I doubt the overall standard is as good as the Championship.

I presume you watch games on a regular basis - because it would clearly be a ridiculous statement to make if you never watched anything

It would be like me saying, 'You know that restaurant I've never been to? Well, it's not a patch on my local favorite.'

I do watch it (not every week by any standard, but I've seen 20+ games) and think it's a tad better - you (presuming you're not just plucking ideas out of your ass with no basis in anything other than a hunch) also watch it and don't think it's as good.

On that we shall have to disagree.

FWIW, I think you see more skill and flair in the MLS, but I also think that it lacks some of the physicality of the Championship.

The Dallas Cup announced today that current U18 Premier League Champion, Derby County FC, has accepted the invitation to participate in the 2020 Gordon Jago Super Group. Dallas Cup XLI will be held next spring from April 5 through April 12, 2020.

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Holy poo, that's some goal!

49 minutes ago, admira said:

The Dallas Cup announced today that current U18 Premier League Champion, Derby County FC, has accepted the invitation to participate in the 2020 Gordon Jago Super Group. Dallas Cup XLI will be held next spring from April 5 through April 12, 2020.

Good to see that Gordon Jago is still going strong, him of Charlton / Millwall /  QPR  "fame" in the late 50s, 60s and 70s.

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Really? I would doubt that it's anywhere near championship standard. Have to remember the championship is one of the top leagues in Europe. Soccer in the USA just isn't at that level. 

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I presume you watch games on a regular basis - because it would clearly be a ridiculous statement to make if you never watched anything

It would be like me saying, 'You know that restaurant I've never been to? Well, it's not a patch on my local favorite.'

I do watch it (not every week by any standard, but I've seen 20+ games) and think it's a tad better - you (presuming you're not just plucking ideas out of your ass with no basis in anything other than a hunch) also watch it and don't think it's as good.

On that we shall have to disagree.

FWIW, I think you see more skill and flair in the MLS, but I also think that it lacks some of the physicality of the Championship.

You obviously watch MLS far more than me, but the standard of defending looks poor from the clips I've seen. To use @LittleEatonRam's example, Bradley Wright-Phillips was a Football League journeyman and is now an MLS legend. 

23 hours ago, Alpha said:

I said to my missus that it's made for him to pick up a horrible injury. 

Watch it happen in a collision with Johnny Russell

Well that can't happen, DC United play in the Eastern Conference. Johnny Russells team Sporting Kansas City play in the Western Conference and not really likely to make the play-offs, struggling near the bottom this season, 

There are normally 2 or 3 live matches on Sky every weekend and decent to watch

27 minutes ago, europia said:

Really? I would doubt that it's anywhere near championship standard. Have to remember the championship is one of the top leagues in Europe. Soccer in the USA just isn't at that level. 

It's improved the last 2 - 3 seasons,most grounds have capacity around the 20,000 mark apart from Atlanta United whose capacity is around 70.000 and full for most matches

Archived