Rooney Performances @ D.C. United

Day

DC United remaining fixtures are listed below, they currently have 3 remaining which will be live on Sky (in bold)

Mon 12th August 00:30am v LA Galaxy (H)

Sun 18th August 3am v Vancouver (A)

Thurs 22nd August 1am v NY Red Bulls (H)

Sun 25th August 00:30 am v Philadelphia (A)

Sun 1st September 00:30am v Montreal (A)

Mon 16th September 00:30am v Portland (A)

Mon 23rd September 1am v Seattle (H)

Sun 29th September 10pm v NY Red Bulls (A)

Sun 6th October 9pm v Cincinnati (H)

No games have been picked from September 1st onwards yet so it’s possible more could be shown.

I’m sure I won’t be alone in following with interest so this is a thread for discussing his performances over the remaining games.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Can they extend their season by finishing high up and playing those national finals like in the other sports? 

All those are Eastern teams?

Beginning in the 2019 season, the top seven teams in each conference will qualify for the playoffs, playing in separate brackets. The top seed in each conference is given a bye to the Conference Semifinals, while the remaining six teams compete in the first round of the playoffs. All rounds are single-match eliminations hosted by the higher seed and there is no re-seeding in subsequent rounds, with the winner of the 4th and 5th place match advancing to face the conference leader and the 2nd–7th and 3rd–6th winners in the other semifinal match. The winners of the conference semifinals advance to the conference finals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_Playoffs

1 minute ago, JfR said:

Can't wait for the inevitable 90th minute double ACL injury in the Cincinnati game

I said to my missus that it's made for him to pick up a horrible injury. 

Watch it happen in a collision with Johnny Russell

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I said to my missus that it's made for him to pick up a horrible injury. 

Watch it happen in a collision with Johnny Russell

If that's all the regular season remaining games then he won't be facing Johnny Russell again.

Sporting Kansas City have been gash this season. - way off the play offs

I watch the DC United highlights each week. There's often a weekly YouTube video posted of just Rooney highlights

2 minutes ago, David said:

Beginning in the 2019 season, the top seven teams in each conference will qualify for the playoffs, playing in separate brackets. The top seed in each conference is given a bye to the Conference Semifinals, while the remaining six teams compete in the first round of the playoffs. All rounds are single-match eliminations hosted by the higher seed and there is no re-seeding in subsequent rounds, with the winner of the 4th and 5th place match advancing to face the conference leader and the 2nd–7th and 3rd–6th winners in the other semifinal match. The winners of the conference semifinals advance to the conference finals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_Playoffs

Seems like large parts of USA don't play? 

I had it in my head that there's 3 conferences. I thought there'd be a central one. Tight league

5 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

If that's all the regular season remaining games then he won't be facing Johnny Russell again.

Sporting Kansas City have been gash this season. - way off the play offs

I watch the DC United highlights each week. There's often a weekly YouTube video posted of just Rooney highlights

Just looking at the Western Conference and seeing LA Galaxy aren't very good. Thought they were supposed to be really good. Looking at their players... they should be! 

I don't understand how some ordinary players shine and the world class talent doesn't so much. 

Carlos Vela statistically is better than Rooney. That just wouldn't happen if they shared an English league!

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Just looking at the Western Conference and seeing LA Galaxy aren't very good. Thought they were supposed to be really good. Looking at their players... they should be! 

I don't understand how some ordinary players shine and the world class talent doesn't so much. 

Carlos Vela statistically is better than Rooney. That just wouldn't happen if they shared an English league!

Carlos Vela is a better player than Rooney. Was probably the best player on the pitch for the Mexico/Germany match last World Cup and IMO the best player on the Mexico side the entire tournament, including the two Premier players in Chicharito (West Ham) and Jimenez (Wolverhampton).

I am very interested to see what Rooney has left in the tank, especially after playing a full MLS and then finishing off the Championship. I haven’t been overly impressed with him during his stint here in the States. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I had it in my head that there's 3 conferences. I thought there'd be a central one. Tight league

Here is the map. States like Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska do not have large cities and the population to support teams. Many other states have USL teams, the “equivalent” of Championship here in the States. 

E3911233-7302-4ACC-A617-8EDCBD66E125.thumb.jpeg.6d2418bba074246c14275bc877cdb636.jpeg

5 hours ago, CamsChorizo said:

Here is the map. States like Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska do not have large cities and the population to support teams. Many other states have USL teams, the “equivalent” of Championship here in the States. 

E3911233-7302-4ACC-A617-8EDCBD66E125.thumb.jpeg.6d2418bba074246c14275bc877cdb636.jpeg

And I thought Plymouth and Carlisle had a trek on away days...

22 minutes ago, Meestah said:

And I thought Plymouth and Carlisle had a trek on away days...

That's why they're split into conferences of East and West. Imagine Sky Sports would move New York v LA from a Saturday to a Tuesday night. 

Internal flights are cheap but what happens when you get rowdy lads on a plane trying to hang scarves out the windows

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

That's why they're split into conferences of East and West. Imagine Sky Sports would move New York v LA from a Saturday to a Tuesday night. 

Internal flights are cheap but what happens when you get rowdy lads on a plane trying to hang scarves out the windows

I wish that was the case here. It was cheaper for me to fly to London, get a flat, and buy a Club Wembley ticket than it would have been for me to fly to Florida to watch the Rams train last month. 

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Do you remember dot to dot books?

Well if you draw a line from Washington to Portland and then to Salt Lake City and on to Colorado and Kansas City and then up to the Canadian border and back across to the West coast you will have ensnared the following.

9 people

3 dogs

A cat called Cyril

14,219 bankrupt farms that used to sell soy to the Chinese.

And a 912,031 MAGA hats drifting gently in the breeze in a tumbleweed styleee.

Sigh... I'm not buying into all this hype around Rooney. It's a commercial deal and the footballing/coaching element comes way down the list in importance. Mel wanted 3rd party investment and this is what it's about.

Archived