Most exciting day as a Derby fan?

bimmerman

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Most of mine haven’t had anything but 3 points riding on it, nothing can beat an away day with the boys watching the Rams. 

Maybe im easily pleased ?

It's what it's all about. Entertainment and a day out,regardless of the result

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Madrid, Benfica, Mackay (signing) et al... just a tad before my time as a fan.  Also being a dullard who doesn't get easily excited doesn't help my cause.  I can only apologise!  ?

Shameful . 

Must do better .

( His heart was in the right place ) 

Most excited day was when we got promoted 1996.... I was only 13 got into football at a late age so had never seen us get promoted or play in the top division. Day it happened I remember riding my bike around with my best mate at the time singing Derby chants.

One other day that really got me excited was in 1998 I think it was? Anyway Jim Smith was genuinely talking about us being a couple of signings off challenging for Europe and top 4 or 6. I remember believing every word of it and convinced myself we would be challenging at the top, I remember the following season after that summer we battled with relegation and couldn’t believe it.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

My best day was also the worst. I can't even remember when it was now. But I knew everything was going to be all right. We were about to become the best team in England again. Clough and Taylor had been reunited, but down the road at a nothing club in Nottingham. And now they'd decided to come home. 

They arrived at the Baseball Ground to rejoin Derby, the side they'd made so great just a few years earlier. It was really happening. 

I've never heard a decent explanation of what went wrong. Somehow it fell apart while they were talking things over. The afternoon dragged on without the expected announcement. And then they changed their minds and went back to Nottingham. How quickly excitement can turn to dust in football. 

You beat me to it.

My Dad was a Forest fan (imagine the tension on match days) and I remember the evening listening to the radio, both convinced they were returning. Both of us with very different emotions. Those feelings were reversed the next morning.

I've not heard a full explanation as to what changed their minds but my sense was that Taylor didn't want to come back. That later contributed to the big fall out between the two when he did return after retiring at Forest.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

You beat me to it.

My Dad was a Forest fan (imagine the tension on match days) and I remember the evening listening to the radio, both convinced they were returning. Both of us with very different emotions. Those feelings were reversed the next morning.

I've not heard a full explanation as to what changed their minds but my sense was that Taylor didn't want to come back. That later contributed to the big fall out between the two when he did return after retiring at Forest.

My sense was that Peter Taylor never wanted to leave and always wanted to come back, hence he did in the end and that's what supposedly caused the rift with Clough. So I'd have guessed it was the other way around. But it's only an inkling and I really don't know. Typical Derby to somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Villa play off.

Taking my 3 boys to Wembley to see their team was immense. I'd taken them to see England before but this was Derby, at Wembley, and I was taking my 12, 9 and 8 year old.

Seeing their excitement in the build up and then getting a massive cuddle and kiss from my middle boy when Jack scored was amazing.

The part that really did it tho, although it may sound strange, was seeing their disappointment at full time which filled me with an amazing sense of pride.

That was the moment when I KNEW they were going to be Rams forever.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

My sense was that Peter Taylor never wanted to leave and always wanted to come back, hence he did in the end and that's what supposedly caused the rift with Clough. So I'd have guessed it was the other way around. But it's only an inkling and I really don't know. Typical Derby to somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It was always my understanding that Peter Taylor wanted them to stay, but the rift between him and BC was the way PT persuaded John Robertson to leave florist behind BC's back.

Archived