Amazon

DCFC1388

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SKRam said:

What’s average age of our squad gonna be in January. ?‍♂️

Nearing Gary Rowett levels again. Really disappointing.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

One uses lawful, however much we may disapprove, methods of minimising their tax bill, the other generates masses amounts out of income from gambling - such a serious problem for some that they have to issue a "health warning". 

I wouldn't turn either down but, If I had the choice of Amazon or 32 Red being our shirt sponsors then I know which I'd choose.

We disapprove because we are proud to be British but with a company like Amazon (which is American but so international now it doesn't even tie itself too closely to that) why would we feel any morale obligation to pay more taxes than we needed in another country. 

If you had a business who sold products in I.e. Germany and could pay taxes at a lower rate on your profits in the UK, would you really feel a morale obligation to pay them in Germany instead or bring that liability home or remove it altogether?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Those to blame aren't those that legally pay less tax. Its the people who enable it by allowing them to do so.

How many of us given a choice of paying less tax legally would do so if we could?

51 minutes ago, HiltonoRama said:

Totally agree. They operate within the Law. It's the tax-dodging corrupt low-lifes that make those laws that are the problem. 

If our MP's didn't like the fact that most international companies pay little or no tax in this country then they could simply change the law so that tax was payable in the country revenue was earned or impose a tariff on their profits like the French have done 

If a sponsorship deal means we can buy better players and get back to the PL I'd cheerfully take money off Amazon or anybody else.  

They are international companies... at the end of the day you have to make a choice.... do you want them in the country and accept they may not pay as much tax or do you want their trade and custom and all the other benefits it has (jobs etc). With countries and even states in the US making sweetheart deals they will minimise what they do in the uk. 

The French method works but in reality does it cost the company or do they just pass the cost onto the consumer and or small manufacturers who get squeezed a lot.

11 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Figures for CEO to workers pay I believe show his ratio the highest by a long way. 

He employs more people than most.... that's like saying the owner of a corner shop should earn the same ratio to their staff as the owners of Asda.... one is massively bigger and therefore the role is much bigger and is from a career point of view at the top of a massively higher mountain

30 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

We disapprove because we are proud to be British but with a company like Amazon (which is American but so international now it doesn't even tie itself too closely to that) why would we feel any morale obligation to pay more taxes than we needed in another country. 

If you had a business who sold products in I.e. Germany and could pay taxes at a lower rate on your profits in the UK, would you really feel a morale obligation to pay them in Germany instead or bring that liability home or remove it altogether?

They are international companies... at the end of the day you have to make a choice.... do you want them in the country and accept they may not pay as much tax or do you want their trade and custom and all the other benefits it has (jobs etc). With countries and even states in the US making sweetheart deals they will minimise what they do in the uk. 

The French method works but in reality does it cost the company or do they just pass the cost onto the consumer and or small manufacturers who get squeezed a lot.

He employs more people than most.... that's like saying the owner of a corner shop should earn the same ratio to their staff as the owners of Asda.... one is massively bigger and therefore the role is much bigger and is from a career point of view at the top of a massively higher mountain

Not at all disagreeing with you but Amazon would still want to operate here even if their profits were taxed properly as they wouldn't have those profits otherwise. However we seem to be entering into politics rather than football so I'll just say I'd take the money off the Devil if it paid for Messi to be here..

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, SKRam said:

And the companies that pay their fair share are at a disadvantage over those who choose to have their accounts in the Isle of Man/ Lithuania etc. Not a level playing field. And when our NHS is in need of extra funding .....

True, but not their responsibility to fund the NHS.

We might object to Amazon but how many fans who go through our turnstiles do cash in hand jobs, or don't declare all their earnings,  or put that spare part they bought for their personal car against their van and so on?

To answer would take longer than I’d care to type. I save these sort of discussions for a social gathering! I subscribe to a very informative magazine that would surprise you with a few facts. Amazon get nothing off me and that will continue  

20 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Having almost getting there its  not advertising that creates addiction it is a complusive personality

3 hours ago, europia said:

As opposed to gambling companies who pay taxes but ruin lives? Hobsons choice maybe? 

I sometimes gamble, my life is not ruined. Malicious tax evasion, climate change denying, underpaid workers, anti union..... I’ll leave it there. Hobson probably got sacked by Amazon for taking five minutes too long on his break 

TV show about Amazon in the US.

Like he says, we all keep buying off them (well, I do.).

in terms of if they sponsored Derby, I wouldn't care particularly. I don't particularly care who sponsors us. It's less cringy than just eat. Benevolent forces for good in the world generally don't waste their money sponsoring sports teams.

Archived