Graeme Shinnie

sage

25 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

He had a disrupted preseason not a poor one. Also he’s still new so finding his feet

Disrupted as well yes, but when he did play he was pretty poor. Was dire against girona and Bristol. Of course he’s new and settling in so that doesn’t mean he’s a poor player or will be a poor player for us- but he didn’t do a lot to show he should be in the team, is the point. He’ll have to earn his chance now.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Disrupted as well yes, but when he did play he was pretty poor. Was dire against girona and Bristol. Of course he’s new and settling in so that doesn’t mean he’s a poor player or will be a poor player for us- but he didn’t do a lot to show he should be in the team, is the point. He’ll have to earn his chance now.

Absolutely he will have to earn it. He was no better or worse than most of the players in those games though. He isn’t gonna be our star player but it’s a long season and I think he will do a good job if/when called upon

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

Absolutely he will have to earn it. He was no better or worse than most of the players in those games though. He isn’t gonna be our star player but it’s a long season and I think he will do a good job if/when called upon

Agree the team weren’t very good, but he did stick out to my, as well an anya, as being poor and wasteful with the ball. As I say, it’s probably not at all representative of his actual ability, and I’m sure he’ll do some sort of a job even if it isn’t a starring one for us- but you can kinda see why Knight was preferred.

I think we are reading far to much into it. I think he wanted to show faith in Knight and give him the boost he needs as a young player. I think Shinnie will end up playing a decent amount of mins this season.

Might turn out to be a bit of a daft signing.

presumably we only signed him because he was free. This is a bit dubious because we should really concentrate on whether the player is good enough for the top end of the championship / prem. He may already be superseded by bielik before he's even kicked a ball. Then again its a long season and he may have a role to play but it could be as a squad player from the bench.

I do like the look of knight. Hoping that evans, lowe and knight all breakthrough this season.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Might turn out to be a bit of a daft signing.

presumably we only signed him because he was free. This is a bit dubious because we should really concentrate on whether the player is good enough for the top end of the championship / prem. He may already be superseded by bielik before he's even kicked a ball. Then again its a long season and he may have a role to play but it could be as a squad player from the bench.

I do like the look of knight. Hoping that evans, lowe and knight all breakthrough this season.

Shall we write him off already then ? 

...............was highly rated by his previous team , I'll trust their judgement .

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

That must’ve been painful for him. I always thought he was brought in as competition for places and to come off the bench rather than start- but seeing the game yesterday seemed exactly the time for him to come off the bench. I don’t think cocu rates him at all, and he had a poor pre season to boot so hardly shone to change his mind.

From the little I've seen of him, he looks the energetic/hardworking type, that maybe lets himself down a little bit with his passing.  Once we'd seen off the battering for the first 15 minutes after half time, we more or less controlled the game, so the last thing we wanted was another player giving the ball away.  Put Knight on (who's better technically, again from what little I've seen of him), keep the ball, and see the game out.

There will absolutely be games where we need to get in the opposition's faces and disrupt them, and these will be the games where Shinnie will be useful.  If the Huddersfield pressure had continued longer in the second half, there's an argument that Shinnie would have been a better option, but it didn't.

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

From the little I've seen of him, he looks the energetic/hardworking type, that maybe lets himself down a little bit with his passing.  Once we'd seen off the battering for the first 15 minutes after half time, we more or less controlled the game, so the last thing we wanted was another player giving the ball away.  Put Knight on (who's better technically, again from what little I've seen of him), keep the ball, and see the game out.

There will absolutely be games where we need to get in the opposition's faces and disrupt them, and these will be the games where Shinnie will be useful.  If the Huddersfield pressure had continued longer in the second half, there's an argument that Shinnie would have been a better option, but it didn't.

I get your point, we wanted to almost stop the battle and get a bit of control back to ourselves rather than put another player in to continue the scrapping. Best way to see a game out is to keep a hold of the ball. I actually said in the game I think Knight would be a good move just before he came on as a sub. It just seems that the “seeing out” role is something shinnie was brought in for, and if he’s not right for that role, he may struggle to get games.

Of course there may well be games where we set out to start a scrap as it’s our best tactical option- maybe against the likes of Leeds who like to play. But you’d hope those games are few and far between and we can use our technical ability far more often, and if shinnie lacks a bit in that department, he may not feature that much.

Not long ago I thought Shinnie was nailed on for the CDM role but Huddlestone hasn't gone away, Evans looked comfortable last night & Bierlik will start soon.

Further up the field I thought we were too light ( maybe still are ) but there is Holmes, Dowell, Knight, Bird, Sibley ( Rooney?)

Message for Shinnie - this is competition & all will have to fight for a place

I think Shinnie is the type who will not shy away from the challenge 

He'll play a part during the season

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, sage said:

Knight, Buchanan and Evans used before him today. Hope he gets a chance v Red Dogs on Tuesday.

I think he'll play v Forest and have a good game. I suspect he's that player that the manager just doesn't fancy but might force his way in at some point and stay there. He's been done over by the manager change no doubt, but think he might just have the bite you need in the championship.

On 06/08/2019 at 07:13, Rampage said:

I said this.last week. went down like a lead balloon. Mobile, technical, team player, extremely hard working absolute minimum for Cocu.

Genuine question .... bit a piss take or another back handed slap at Dowell 

but if that’s cocu’s Barr minimum how’s Dowell getting in... he’s neither mobile or hardworking ..... u could argue after some of his attempts at dead and threaded balls his technical game isn’t quite there either 

genuinely don’t get it.... I would love to see Holmes in there instead whilst being far from the finished article would really give us something different in terms of transitioning defence into attack 

Shinnie will get his chance and when he does, he needs to show what he can do, for myself we are missing a box to box midfielder like Bryson, been told that this is what Shinnie will give to the team for myself, I would take Dowell out the team , and bring more energy into the midfield with Shinnie, may be this could happened at Forest on Tuesday.

Archived