Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

I’m in support of the FA doing this and...

look how Rooney saga has impacted our other transfer dealings. This is what happens when you send your CEO out to babysit Rooney in the US. Tut.

How has it impacted our other transfer dealings? Who did we want but missed out on because of this? 

The two or three players that Cocu stated he wanted last week. It was made clear that he wanted at least another winger, and as it stands, we haven’t got that player - or we’ve ended up with our 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice.

Just now, Jonesy90 said:

The two or three players that Cocu stated he wanted last week. It was made clear that he wanted at least another winger, and as it stands, we haven’t got that player - or we’ve ended up with our 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice.

@Carl Sagan says wait until 7, have some patience.

1 minute ago, Jonesy90 said:

Who was ourr 1st choice? 2nd, 3rd or even our 4th choice? DET has said they still expect the club to announce 2 more signings, I fully expect that a winger will be one of them.

4 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Ridiculous.

The purpose of this deal is publicity for 32Red. Like the Huddersfield stunt, it has got attention.  If the media and other clubs' fans want to bang on about this for another four and a half months then they'll have reaped every penny of the rewards whether it is eventually banned or not. 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

The purpose of this deal is publicity for 32Red. Like the Huddersfield stunt, it has got attention.  If the media and other clubs' fans want to bang on about this for another four and a half months then they'll have reaped every penny of the rewards whether it is eventually banned or not. 

There will never be a day in the next 18 months when Rooney is not in the news for us. Brilliant.

32 was free so we used it. We did not sign him for publicity. Rooney cannot be separated from publicity, he is far too famous. Anyone could have been given no. 32 so why pick on Rooney who did not ask for 32

4 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

look how Rooney saga has impacted our other transfer dealings. This is what happens when you send your CEO out to babysit Rooney in the US. Tut.

Bet you’re fun at parties mate... hardly a ‘saga’ it was completed quite quickly Thorne was a ‘saga’ also doubt only our CEO aid involved in negotiations I’m sure there’s a team that deals with it that he manages. Rooney has nothing to do with who we signed... you can’t make players you want sign for you or the teams they play for accept your bid, it’s football these things happen.

18 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

I find it disingenuous that you can state that signing a player has impacted on other transfers.

What did you actually expect from this transfer window?

38 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

The FA have charged Huddersfield for their paddy power PR stunt, doesn’t bode very well for us.

They've charged them for the over sized sponsorship in a pre-season friendly. I'm actually baffled they can do that as it wasn't a league game. They don't even have a sponsor on their shirt now. It absolutely stinks of the FA just searching for reasons to claw some money out of clubs. 

As for us, we simply have negotiated a better deal with a current sponsor based on the fact we will have one of the world's most recognised footballers playing for us. It's actually not that much of a huge deal. Tottenham received £320m for their shirt sponsor, AIA. I suspect whilst Rooney is at Derby we will be pushing all our sponsorship tariffs up, because we will be looking to milk the cash cow dry.

10 minutes ago, Coconut said:

One of the more ridiculous things stated in one of these articles was that it can be argued that by associating Rooney with 32Red, the 32 on the back of the shirt could be seen as a sponsor logo, which would mean it breaks the rules on sizing like the Paddy Power stunt shirt ?

I saw that. Madness. Does that mean any number associated with a betting company is off limits? Are all clubs with 32Red banned from using number 32 on shirts. 

Clubs are doing what they have to keep going and competing.

On 07/08/2019 at 18:02, Jonesy90 said:

24 hours on from the Rooney announcement and I’ve been pondering the situation.

It’s a wonderful appointment, but...

this is an ageing, tired, unsettled footballer who has jumped at the first opportunity to come home. Did he want to come to Derby specifically? Probably not, but this move gets him closer to his immediate goal, which is comfort for his family - no problems.

According to reports the first opportunity was a year ago... and he didn't jump at that. A host of clubs were reportedly after him too... but he chose us.

Meanwhile, Derby’s Dracula-like commercial team are set to suck the living daylights out of the red-blooded scouser - desperate to make the most of his time here.

Yes he may just help us steal a few points here and there on the pitch, and yes he may well give the young academy players a boost to improve their futures.

Fantastic signing then, surely?

But is their enough heart in this decision from a pure footballing perspective?

From everything Rooney has said so far, the answer is yes. Just 5 months to go for us to find out.

Will Rooney stick around late evening to coach the kids?

How many of the other coaches do already? He'l be employed as a player/coach and I'm sure he'll do some coaching when he's with us.

Does Cocu actually approve of a transfer that was literally ran past him a few days ago? Not the decision maker, but more the salesmen in the deal?

I get it and I’m really amazed that Rooney is joining us, but it makes more commercial sense than football to me.

How do you know when Cocu first heard of the deal? We were initially in talks with Rooney a year ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Cocu was informed of the situation when he had contract talks, and was happy with getting Rooney in.

On 08/08/2019 at 11:07, SouthernRam said:

I might be missing something, but it was my understanding that we will make a net profit on the transfer -commercially milking Rooney dry - but that the incoming revenue stream wouldn’t contribute towards FFP?

If not, aside from player sales, which revenue streams count toward FFP?

What gives you the impression that some revenue counts towards FFP but some doesn't?

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Oh look he’s signed 

Wait, so you're getting all excited about being ITK because you said Rooney would sign AFTER news broke out we were in talks with him and because Thorne has signed for Oxford 20 days after you said, 'it's happening tomorrow' and 2 weeks after you claimed he isn't signing because he failed a medical. 

Erm, well done I guess ....

19 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Wait, so you're getting all excited about being ITK because you said Rooney would sign AFTER news broke out we were in talks with him and because Thorne has signed for Oxford 20 days after you said, 'it's happening tomorrow' and 2 weeks after you claimed he isn't signing because he failed a medical. 

Erm, well done I guess ....

yeh but wayne rooney is a ram

On 20/08/2019 at 10:39, Squid said:

yeh but wayne rooney is a ram

Unless it gets to January 1st and we're 17th in the table, at which point he pulls out of the whole deal because it would do more harm than good to his brand to be associated with an unsuccessful team, we lose all the additional sponsorship money, fall foul of FFP,  end up a complete laughing stock and what was supposed to be an immense show of ambition actually puts us under, sending the club to new depths that we never really recover from, seeing out eternity in League Two or lower.

Archived