Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

On 07/08/2019 at 09:09, RoyMac5 said:

Seriously? Who from the squad is as good?

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

Mason Bennett?

Didn't Robbie Savage say Mason was the closest he'd seen to Wayne Rooney when he was here? With a bit of coaching from the man himself maybe he could push on and fulfil his potential.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The state of the Leeds fans in the replies.

32Red could lose every other team in the league they currently sponsor - And it still wouldn't lose them as much coverage as this one deal is getting for them

I just love so many fans getting angry because the people who run our club are innovators - They checked the rules and then found a way to do something new and different within them - Everyone else should be taking a long hard look at themselves - Leeds fans claim they're a bigger club then us and they have the same sponsor (and a manager with no ethics) so surely they could have done this exact deal too?

17 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

32Red could lose every other team in the league they currently sponsor - And it still wouldn't lose them as much coverage as this one deal is getting for them

I just love so many fans getting angry because the people who run our club are innovators - They checked the rules and then found a way to do something new and different within them - Everyone else should be taking a long hard look at themselves - Leeds fans claim they're a bigger club then us and they have the same sponsor (and a manager with no ethics) so surely they could have done this exact deal too?

The only unusual thing we have done is turn round and say how we are going to pay for the deal - MM turned round to the shirt sponsor and said we can sign Wayne Rooney but it would cost xxx will you increase your sponsorship please - response - hell yes please.

20 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Innovation is so important in all walks of life.

I was listening to a podcast earlier and the host was saying how, one day, a guy just decided to sell bottled water. It was a completely new idea that no-one had ever thought of, yet bottled water is (for me, quite sadly) ubiquitous in modern life.

I don’t like the idea that water has become a commercial product, but you can’t deny its existence now. I just hope people stop being whinging bar stewards and learn to use the bloody tap instead of polluting the oceans.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

So the additional sponsorship it’s brought in has already covered his wages for the initial contract, excellent stuff. Personally don’t see why we’re being slammed for this when it’s perfectly legal- you don’t want betting sponsorships? Then ban them, simple as. Until then if they offer the most money, we’re gonna take them. Sure you can argue there’s big issues with gambling which of course there is and these need dealing with- but even if we wanted to take a moral standpoint and turn the money down, ffp restricts us from doing so. Also don’t get why rooneys being slammed himself- he won’t have brought the deal in, it will have been offered to the club.

Because Richard Cabourn is known for being a right Bamford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_cash_for_influence_scandal

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Innovation is so important in all walks of life.

I was listening to a podcast earlier and the host was saying how, one day, a guy just decided to sell bottled water. It was a completely new idea that no-one had ever thought of, yet bottled water is (for me, quite sadly) ubiquitous in modern life.

I don’t like the idea that water has become a commercial product, but you can’t deny its existence now. I just hope people stop being whinging bar stewards and learn to use the bloody tap instead of polluting the oceans.

Slightly off topic, but here goes. True story.

In the early 1970's I was working in Essex and a bit home sick, being a Buxton lad.

Perier water was becoming a thing at the time. I thought "Buxton's got these 'magic' waters, known to be beneficial  for centuries. Perhaps I could bottle it and sell it on a commercial scale, like Perier". Then I started wondering about the implications, whether you have to get permission, does the Duke hold the rights, who'd bottle it, I'm living 200 miles away, I've no capital, and so on. As far as I was aware, no-one else was doing  it. So it was just an unfulfilled idea.

A year later, well, the rest is history.

Tin hat time.

I have a lot of respect for Mel Morris, but to me, it seems as though we haven’t learnt our lesson since we last started splashing the cash. We have signed Rooney purely because we could. Aside from the commercial bonuses, I’m not convinced he fits in with the fluid style Cocu wants to play or the new mentality of blooding younger players. It was a kid in a sweet shop moment.

If we sign a new CM we will have a new CM, Rooney, Holmes, Dowell, Shinnie, Knight and Sibley competing for 1 or 2 spots. I agree we need a new CM, especially if Rooney only plays 10-15 games, but it begs the question as to why we signed him? 

100% of Rooney’s wages will count towards FFP, which along with the Bielik signing, could put us in danger if we don’t get promoted in the next few years.

It’s another roll of the dice, but next time, we won’t have a stadium to sell-off. 

Just now, SouthernRam said:

Tin hat time.

I have a lot of respect for Mel Morris, but to me, it seems as though we haven’t learnt our lesson since we last started splashing the cash. We have signed Rooney purely because we could. Aside from the commercial bonuses, I’m not convinced he fits in with the fluid style Cocu wants to play or the new mentality of blooding younger players. It was a kid in a sweet shop moment.

If we sign a new CM we will have a new CM, Rooney, Holmes, Dowell, Shinnie, Knight and Sibley competing for 1 or 2 spots. I agree we need a new CM, especially if Rooney only plays 10-15 games, but it begs the question as to why we signed him? 

100% of Rooney’s wages will count towards FFP, which along with the Bielik signing, could put us in danger if we don’t get promoted in the next few years.

It’s another roll of the dice, but next time, we won’t have a stadium to sell-off. 

I just kind of think of it in terms of signing Darren Bent. OK, Rooney is better than bent but end of career footballer who will probably end up being "OK" but because he was great in his prime perspective might be different to if we'd signed a less glamorous player who ends up contributing a similar amount.

3 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Tin hat time.

Did you miss the part where MM said that with the increase in revenue the Rooney deal will be a net contributor to FFP?

6 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Tin hat time.

The rooney deal will make us a net profit; so it improves our FFP situation. 

3 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I’m not convinced he fits in with the fluid style Cocu wants to play

He's one of the best English players of his generation (arguably the best) and has shown over and over again how quick his thinking is and his ball skills are exceptional

4 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Rooney and Dowell - Creative CMs

Holmes and Shinnie - Energetic CMs

Knight and Sibley - Cocu has talked about 3 year plans to bring the young players through - Not sure why people keep acting like they're a central part of the first team squad

6 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

And it seems 100% of them are covered both cash-wise and FFP-wise by the new sponsorship deal

It's a no lose situation - We get a great player, a great influence and a boost to our profile and potential to make money - We become a more interesting option for investors coming in, we become more enticing for players coming in and we have a player who's done pretty much everything in the modern game training alongside our youngsters every single day and giving them the benefit of his influence - We also help a great player transition into a coach, who will go on to management and always have a soft spot and a connection to us and our club

5 minutes ago, Hinzy9 said:

Did you miss the part where MM said that with the increase in revenue the Rooney deal will be a net contributor to FFP?

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The rooney deal will make us a net profit; so it improves our FFP situation. 

I might be missing something, but it was my understanding that we will make a net profit on the transfer -commercially milking Rooney dry - but that the incoming revenue stream wouldn’t contribute towards FFP?

If not, aside from player sales, which revenue streams count toward FFP?

13 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Tin hat time.

I've seen Mel giving an eye to Moor farm.... It must be worth of billions, I'd assume.

Love will tear FFP apart.

4 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I might be missing something, but it was my understanding that we will make a net profit on the transfer -commercially milking Rooney dry - but that the incoming revenue stream wouldn’t contribute towards FFP?

If not, aside from player sales, which revenue streams count toward FFP?

All of them?

I'm pretty sure.

Archived