Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

32Red are at least... trying? ... with lending their support to the mental health initiative.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather us be sponsored by something that's not a betting company, but it seems to be a necessary evil as it stands. 

It could be worse, it's not too long ago that Wonga had the support of politicians and were sponsoring football shirts. Thank the gods we didn't get involved with that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Typical pearl clutching nanny state codswallop. "Won't someone please think of the children!". Either gambling is legal or it isn't. I'm getting sick of this double standard where Wayne Rooney wearing the number 32 is apparently a dreadful sin, yet there are brightly coloured national lottery scratch cards positioned by the sweets at every post office and corner shop up and down the country. Our government is fine with gambling, so long as they're getting a cut.

Agreed , I see nothing wrong with betting at all , don't see why it's such a controversial thing? Like I get some people get into debt and gambling troubles but that's the same with everything in life? Really can't grasp or fathom the whole gambling controversy,  I bet myself on weekends and it actually gives me an incentive to be interested in football matches that don't include the rams , I also have a beer at the pub whilst watching my bets , people can get into debt and be addicted to alcohol but can you see them banning that? No way , double standards 

Rooney int gonna be walkin around with the words "SPEND ALL YER MONEY AT 32RED" on his top is he? Nah hes not, hes just been allocated #32 so far.. If he does sponsorships etc then so what, I always see tele adverts (during matches etc) advertising gambling companies.. 

There is literally NOTHING wrong with this sponsorship, it's all down to the individual who feels affected by a word on a shirt.

Sponsorship by betting companies is the new tobacco sponsorship, and may go the same way and be eventually banned.  At the moment it is the industry that can offer the highest deals, 7 clubs in the prem are sponsored by gaming/betting companies.

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Probobly not far away. Total sponsorship in the latest accounts was £5m. 

Sometimes the devil is in the detail. No numbers were announced yesterday apart from 'record breaking'. we wont know the financial impact until potentially 2 years from now. We will have to trust Mel on this one. 

No doubt Bet32 will want some good exposure while he's here though. In theory, if he's not in form, does the Bet32 deal mean the manager might be under pressure to play him even though it could upset the team dynamics. 

The press will be looking for any reason to cause unrest in the club. Lets face it, Rooney sells papers, and no doubt some will be looking for Mel to fall flat on his face. 

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

Having Rooney in the club certainly lifts the profile, and could attract some potential buyers of the club. 

Maybe all these photo's of their logo everywhere is still a bit too subtle? 

Bigger logo's needed guys... and I want the red redder than it's ever been before!

... and get Rooney on the billboards... Now!

Similar take to the "4 of Englands most 8 capped players"; I really like this bit of trivia:

Could be adapted to; Wayne Rooney will be the second record England scorer to play for Derby County.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Similar take to the "4 of Englands most 8 capped players"; I really like this bit of trivia:

Could be adapted to; Wayne Rooney will be the second record England scorer to play for Derby County.

And someone posted yesterday... Once he plays for us... of all 9 England players to win 100+ caps, 3 would have played for us (equal best with Man Utd), plus 1 has managed us.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Here we go -  seem's rather pointless worrying about this when half the team's in Britain have bet 32 as a sponsor and half the cabinet and the Church of England had shares in Wonga.

Derby owner Mel Morris defended the betting firm tie-in, saying he was keen to "leverage Wayne’s involvement". He added: "Obviously, the commercial opportunities this creates are widespread and significant."   

But Richard Caborn, the former minister who helped mastermind the 2005 Gambling Act which led to billions of pounds in investment from betting firms, said the partnership was embarrassing.

"It's not very clever this - it all seems a bit crass," he told the Daily Telegraph. "Wayne Rooney, who has got kids himself, should perhaps know this is not the brightest. The gambling companies need to be doing themselves favours at the moment, but this is not going to go down well with football authorities or the Government."

Is Caborn a closet Leeds supporter?

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Presumably Rooney will be using his social media channels to advertise his games as being live on Rams TV for a fiver.

Only needs a conservative 10,000 extra people out of all of the millions of "Rooney fans" in USA, China, India, etc and there's another £50,000 of extra income per week. £100,000 on a 2 game week.

Well they had better get a shiny new server for Christmas then, not having this potential influx messing up my stream!

42 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

“Wayne Rooneys watching, helping them fight”

its got a ring to it

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It’s not been mentioned, plus without knowing our record then it’s difficult to draw a line. £7m over 10 years from iPro was back in 2013, so when you consider inflation, etc, plus the rumours of his wages, I would hazard a guess of around £3-4m over the next 18 months. 

I wonder if the EFL gave us an extra £700k pa FFP (P&S) allowance due to us budgeting in the iPro sponsorship money when making our signings.

Archived