Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

This is the Leeds United who we are supposedly obsessed with and invented a rivalry with but they don’t care us at all now Frank has gone as they have bigger fish to fry with their huge tense rivalry with Man Utd??? ???

Oh the Leeds United conspiracy has started again. 

I’ve never known a set of fans to be so salty. Usually a club has a minority of fans that ruins it for other fans, but all Leeds fans online seem to be idiotic. I haven’t  ever seen one normal comment from any of them 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Mel said in his interview regarding ffp he believes we will make money off Rooney. Mel is a business man and makes decisions that way. Personally I think Rooney is a class signing given the fact that for a while Mel has been hinting at additional funding from other sources and potential investments. Lampard then Cocu now Rooney puts the club in a position that we probably wouldn't have been in before as an investment opportunity and ultimately could do us well going forward.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Fellow players don’t see it that way though, they don’t care that you signed on a free, you only have to look at United to see it can throw the harmony of the squad. You pay 1 player ridiculous wags, then when contract renewals everybody’s demands have gone through the roof.

Surely there’s a law against paying footballers with women? Even if they are ridiculous!

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Cocu will certainly be under pressure to pick him. Sponsors won't want their man on the bench

I wouldn't worry about that

The media coverage so far, plus there will be another burst when he arrives in January and another when he gets his first start and first goal etc etc plus we'll get more time on Sky now and 32Red will be speculating that this will give us a back-half of the season boost in promotion chances - All adds up to a lot of media value - There won't be anything in there about appearances 

Plus, let's be honest - Playing CM for Everton he was still a sensational player - And will easily be good enough to come in and win a place in the side (and yes, I say win specifically because by January he'll have Dowell and Holmes to compete with ?)

36 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Cocu will certainly be under pressure to pick him. Sponsors won't want their man on the bench.

that might cause a few ripples in the squad unless wazza really is better than what we've got.

Seriously? Who from the squad is as good?

13 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Is he even on £100k a week? Where did that number come from? Has someone made that up and everyones gone with it, or did it actually come from someone who would know? There are plenty of articles around saying he actually took a pay cut, and he certainly wasn't on £100k a week in America. Who's right?

As for the media, well it seems they like to put us under more scrutiny than most Championship clubs anyway, especially when it comes to the second half of the season, that's certainly been the case for the past few years regardless of who the manager, coaches and players are. So what difference is this going to make to that?

No way on earth is he on 100k a week. 

I suspect from somewhere it has been stated that 'the deal' is worth approximate £8m. That works out at roughly 100k a week over 18 months. We will have paid him a signing fee and then some wages. Suspect 32Red paying for the rights to the number etc could easily equate that. Ronaldo earns around $45 to 50million a year in endorsements.  This is peanuts in comparison 

Presumably Rooney will be using his social media channels to advertise his games as being live on Rams TV for a fiver.

Only needs a conservative 10,000 extra people out of all of the millions of "Rooney fans" in USA, China, India, etc and there's another £50,000 of extra income per week. £100,000 on a 2 game week.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Went and checked a few papers this morning - Whole back page of the metro, front and back page of the Sun and a double page spread in the Times - Plus I'm told BBC breakfast covering it every five seconds

Absolutely no doubt that 32Red are funding this btw since every picture in every paper has the logo from and centre - Absolutely genius move from Uncle Mel again

So who are we signing today guys? I reckon Ronaldo is probably already bored of life in Turin... 

I reckon for ultimate lols we should sign Joe Lolley and stick him in the U23s ?

2 hours ago, JG400 said:

Don't get me wrong , I would love to be wrong ,but I have an uncomfortable feeling this may not work out for one of a number of possible reasons

I can't see even 1 reason this would not work out.

1. IT'S FOOKIN WAYNE ROONEY!!!

2. Him signing has already landed us a record breaking sponsorship deal

3. He'll have instant respect from the players.

4. IT'S FOOKIN WAYNE ROONEY!!!

5. Will be an inspiration to our young attacking players, knowing Cocu will give them the chance and to be potentially coached by one of Englands best players.

6. Like Lampard, he'll propell us into the limelight again in the media, Lampard being here is the only reason we was able to get Cocu imo.

7. IT'S FOOKIN WAYNE ROONEY!!!

8. Knowing he's here will attract better players to the club, wanting to play with him.

And finally.......IT'S FOOKIN WAYNE ROOOOOOOOOONEY!!!

?

Here we go -  seem's rather pointless worrying about this when half the team's in Britain have bet 32 as a sponsor and half the cabinet and the Church of England had shares in Wonga.

Derby owner Mel Morris defended the betting firm tie-in, saying he was keen to "leverage Wayne’s involvement". He added: "Obviously, the commercial opportunities this creates are widespread and significant."   

But Richard Caborn, the former minister who helped mastermind the 2005 Gambling Act which led to billions of pounds in investment from betting firms, said the partnership was embarrassing.

"It's not very clever this - it all seems a bit crass," he told the Daily Telegraph. "Wayne Rooney, who has got kids himself, should perhaps know this is not the brightest. The gambling companies need to be doing themselves favours at the moment, but this is not going to go down well with football authorities or the Government."

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Here we go -  seem's rather pointless worrying about this when half the team's in Britain have bet 32 as a sponsor and half the cabinet and the Church of England had shares in Wonga.

Derby owner Mel Morris defended the betting firm tie-in, saying he was keen to "leverage Wayne’s involvement". He added: "Obviously, the commercial opportunities this creates are widespread and significant."   

But Richard Caborn, the former minister who helped mastermind the 2005 Gambling Act which led to billions of pounds in investment from betting firms, said the partnership was embarrassing.

"It's not very clever this - it all seems a bit crass," he told the Daily Telegraph. "Wayne Rooney, who has got kids himself, should perhaps know this is not the brightest. The gambling companies need to be doing themselves favours at the moment, but this is not going to go down well with football authorities or the Government."

I mean.. atleast our stadium isn't named after a betting company... (see Bet365 stadium)

3 hours ago, Oldben said:

Im concerned about our current best players feeling the wage disparity in rooney joining the club on 100k.

Rooney is at the end of his career, if hes used as a striker i dont expect him to score as many as our current strikers.

If hes used as a striker does he mean someone who is scoring more is benched, our sponsor might wish to see rooney playing as hes wearing the 32 shirt.

Id play rooney as an attacking midfielder or substitute, but paying him 100k probably has to mean regular first team football.

I think there are better players, if offered 100k per week, that Derby could sign.

Could rooney be a costly mistake

Has it been stated anywhere officially that Rooney is on £100k per week wages. I doubt the club will pay that however personal sponsorship to Rooney from 32RED may well indeed equate to £100k per week, that's if he is being personally sponsored.Rooney wants to progress into coaching/management and obviously likes what he has been offered at Derby so why not capitalise on it with a good sponsorship deal

Why would a sponsorship company demand as part of the sponsorship deal that a certain player has to play, what they will hope (not necessarily this year) is the club reaches the Premiership to reach a global audience to get maximum advertising and to do that they know the manager will put the best team out as he deems suitable. They certainly would not get involved in team selection, Mel wouldn't allow that as it undermines the manager. Cocu wouldn't be happy with that for the same reason. Teams in the Prem are heavily sponsored, do you think they demand which players are played in a match i very very much doubt it 

4 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

... You pay 1 player ridiculous wags...

Message to Colleen...  It's nothing personal, he's just suggesting that "some" wags are ridiculous, as I'm sure you'd agree, but clearly he doesn't include you in that... oh, and welcome home.  How are the boys taking this.  All excited, I bet!    :-) 

40 minutes ago, Squid said:
47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This is just an ex minister getting on the band-wagon. It's the person the fans are interested in - Wayne Rooney I like a drink occasionally and can walk down our high street where there are Several pubs, doesn't mean i go in and become a alcoholic I have a bet about twice a year doesn't mean i am a gambler. You see teams emblazoned with betting company logo's on them week in week out on the TV  that doesn't mean i am going to be turned in to one

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Typical pearl clutching nanny state codswallop. "Won't someone please think of the children!". Either gambling is legal or it isn't. I'm getting sick of this double standard where Wayne Rooney wearing the number 32 is apparently a dreadful sin, yet there are brightly coloured national lottery scratch cards positioned by the sweets at every post office and corner shop up and down the country. Our government is fine with gambling, so long as they're getting a cut.

Archived