Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

22 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Im concerned about our current best players feeling the wage disparity in rooney joining the club on 100k.

Rooney is at the end of his career, if hes used as a striker i dont expect him to score as many as our current strikers.

If hes used as a striker does he mean someone who is scoring more is benched, our sponsor might wish to see rooney playing as hes wearing the 32 shirt.

Id play rooney as an attacking midfielder or substitute, but paying him 100k probably has to mean regular first team football.

I think there are better players, if offered 100k per week, that Derby could sign.

Could rooney be a costly mistake

Have you seen his MLS stats? Of course he'll score goals. We've already heard how team-mates raise their game when Rooney is in the squad. Should we have signed another 'ordinary' striker to make the players feel comfortable then! 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Not happy with this. We have a new high profile coach who does not need unnecessary pressure to succeed before January and then have to deal with the fallout that will occur once he has arrived.

Cocu will have been in on this deal - Mel isn't that daft - and from what he says he's all for it and can't wait to have Rooney in the squad! As for unnecessary pressure, just like Wayne, Phillip is a WINNER. They thrive on pressure.

26 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Im concerned about our current best players feeling the wage disparity in rooney joining the club on 100k.

Rooney is at the end of his career, if hes used as a striker i dont expect him to score as many as our current strikers.

If hes used as a striker does he mean someone who is scoring more is benched, our sponsor might wish to see rooney playing as hes wearing the 32 shirt.

Id play rooney as an attacking midfielder or substitute, but paying him 100k probably has to mean regular first team football.

I think there are better players, if offered 100k per week, that Derby could sign.

Could rooney be a costly mistake

If we were to pay someone from another Championship club £100k a week then I would absolutely agree. However, Rooney may not be our best player this season, but the argument about payment doesn’t matter as he generates ‘record breaking’ revenue for the club. He is a brand, a cash cow that we’re looking to milk dry.

20 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Not happy with this. We have a new high profile coach who does not need unnecessary pressure to succeed before January and then have to deal with the fallout that will occur once he has arrived. 

Every result and mistake from now on will be under massive scrutiny.

Puts the back up of every club in the league and their fans and we are all aware how this team performs when under extra pressure

Your right, how dare we sign a world class player to play for us, it's just not fair to the rest. Let's re-sign connor salmon instead to appease everyone else.

Do you think cocu hasn't had pressure in his career? , winning 3 titles in Holland, and you think he'll be under pressure in this league, having just signed probabaly the best player that will ever play in this league?

Lads. Lasses. It Wayne ducking Rooney. Signed by Mel ducking Morris to play under Philip ducking Cocu. No bigger signing to be had, no better owner to run us, no better manager available. Outside the Prem, there's no better place to be a football fan in England at this moment in time, and there's a few there who'd swap.

One thing we can definitely say is that at some point things will go horribly wrong. That's football. The key is not to fret about what the downsides might be, and enjoy our day in the sun, again, while we can. 

Come on...turn that frown upside down you doubters. 

Is he even on £100k a week? Where did that number come from? Has someone made that up and everyones gone with it, or did it actually come from someone who would know? There are plenty of articles around saying he actually took a pay cut, and he certainly wasn't on £100k a week in America. Who's right?

As for the media, well it seems they like to put us under more scrutiny than most Championship clubs anyway, especially when it comes to the second half of the season, that's certainly been the case for the past few years regardless of who the manager, coaches and players are. So what difference is this going to make to that?

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cocu will have been in on this deal - Mel isn't that daft - and from what he says he's all for it and can't wait to have Rooney in the squad! As for unnecessary pressure, just like Wayne, Phillip is a WINNER. They thrive on pressure.

7 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Your right, how dare we sign a world class player to play for us, it's just not fair to the rest. Let's re-sign connor salmon instead to appease everyone else.

Do you think cocu hasn't had pressure in his career? , winning 3 titles in Holland, and you think he'll be under pressure in this league, having just signed probabaly the best player that will ever play in this league?

Don't get me wrong , I would love to be wrong ,but I have an uncomfortable feeling this may not work out for one of a number of possible reasons

Cocu will certainly be under pressure to pick him. Sponsors won't want their man on the bench.

that might cause a few ripples in the squad unless wazza really is better than what we've got.

For anyone worried about whether Cocu is ok with this, Sport Witness have picked this up:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/netherlands-cocu-secretly-knew-Derby-countys-next-step/

However, De Telegraaf go the other way.

The Dutch newspaper, who were very good and ahead of the curve covering Cocu’s move to Derby, report on Wednesday that the manager very much backs the arrival of Rooney and ‘secretly knew for a while’ that the club were set to bring him in.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Cocu will certainly be under pressure to pick him. Sponsors won't want their man on the bench.

that might cause a few ripples in the squad unless wazza really is better than what we've got.

You think Mel or Philip..or Wayne for that matter..would have that? No chance.

Just now, RamNut said:

From who??  32Red??  Balls to 'em, Cocu picks who he wants...

10 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

You see.  Front page news already!!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9668614/wayne-rooney-coleen-marriage-uk-move/ 

And yes, I feel wholly soiled for going on their website...

Went and checked a few papers this morning - Whole back page of the metro, front and back page of the Sun and a double page spread in the Times - Plus I'm told BBC breakfast covering it every five seconds

Absolutely no doubt that 32Red are funding this btw since every picture in every paper has the logo from and centre - Absolutely genius move from Uncle Mel again

So who are we signing today guys? I reckon Ronaldo is probably already bored of life in Turin... 

Archived