Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Saity said:

Have we ever signed a more high profile player ?? Ravanelli was a big signing but I can't think of anyone bigger.....this is what being a football fan is all about...my phone has been texted to death today by my mates who all support other teams......the reaction is positive what is not to like??...he is still a very good player ☺️

Us old fogies can remember the feeling around town when we signed the legend that was Dave Mackay....we then knew that cocky young Cloughie meant business....and don't forget Francis Lee..."Just look at his face" one of the most famous football quotes of the 70s.Not forgetting Franny sorting out Norman Hunter when the whole country was cheering him on and the small matter if being crowned Champions of England again.There are some advantages of being an old git!

I’ve totally lost track of this thread, so maybe the point has already been made but...

the argument over whether or not Wayne Rooney was England’s greatest striker is irrelevant. Maybe it was jimmy greaves, or bobby Charlton, or Gary lineker, but which of those would you rather have playing for us right now?! (Or in January to be more accurate). 

The point is how good he is now, and whether or not he was the greatest striker in England, he certainly isn’t any more. He may not even be the greatest striker in the championship (although that is certainly an argument worth having). But whatever he is, the 33 year old Wayne Rooney is a bloody good striker at this level, and a cracking signing. 

Interesting to see some of the noise around the signing, from Leeds fans admittedly, and 32Red sponsorship.  There’s also an article in The Telegraph and it hasn’t gone down well due to the links to a betting company (I’d post a link but new and haven’t got a clue how!!).  Haven’t heard this much noise since we signed Dean Saunders from Oxford.  From memory Mark Lawrenson accused Maxwell of favouring us and later resigned.

2 hours ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

I've heard he's going to be on 100k but 32 red are paying most of his wages as part of this big sponsor deal. So I'd say top Derby would pay is 30 to 35k 

Possible but wowsers. Red32 can recoup that sort of money one way or another.

5 hours ago, Kernow said:

The replies to this tweet are fantastic.

This is the Leeds United who we are supposedly obsessed with and invented a rivalry with but they don’t care us at all now Frank has gone as they have bigger fish to fry with their huge tense rivalry with Man Utd??? ???

Oh the Leeds United conspiracy has started again. 

24 minutes ago, admira said:

Has it been revealed how much this sponsorship deal is actually for?

It’s not been mentioned, plus without knowing our record then it’s difficult to draw a line. £7m over 10 years from iPro was back in 2013, so when you consider inflation, etc, plus the rumours of his wages, I would hazard a guess of around £3-4m over the next 18 months. 

8 hours ago, JfR said:

Even if he was on £100k a week, on a free transfer (which American sources seem to be suggesting will be the case) and an 18 month contract that wouldn't have even have cost us £8m. That's hardly an extortionate amount of money for a top level Championship player. It's about as much as Leeds spent on Bamford before wages.

Fellow players don’t see it that way though, they don’t care that you signed on a free, you only have to look at United to see it can throw the harmony of the squad. You pay 1 player ridiculous wags, then when contract renewals everybody’s demands have gone through the roof.

Not being a gambler I am uneasy about the huge involvement of betting companies in the game. Gee nice to know 32Red are investing in mental health in Derby. 

However until sports advertising is banned in the same way tobacco companies were around 2003, you might as well embrace it if they are prepared to subsidise Rooney’s wages. The amount involved might be large for a Championship club, but it’s peanuts compared to the obscene amounts of money awash in the Prem. I’m sure our rivals are green with envy that Mel and his team pulled this off. Not just that but 32Red are the only company that have a shirt number in their name. Genius!

53 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It’s not been mentioned, plus without knowing our record then it’s difficult to draw a line. £7m over 10 years from iPro was back in 2013, so when you consider inflation, etc, plus the rumours of his wages, I would hazard a guess of around £3-4m over the next 18 months. 

Probobly not far away. Total sponsorship in the latest accounts was £5m. 

Sometimes the devil is in the detail. No numbers were announced yesterday apart from 'record breaking'. we wont know the financial impact until potentially 2 years from now. We will have to trust Mel on this one. 

No doubt Bet32 will want some good exposure while he's here though. In theory, if he's not in form, does the Bet32 deal mean the manager might be under pressure to play him even though it could upset the team dynamics. 

The press will be looking for any reason to cause unrest in the club. Lets face it, Rooney sells papers, and no doubt some will be looking for Mel to fall flat on his face. 

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

Having Rooney in the club certainly lifts the profile, and could attract some potential buyers of the club. 

I don’t concern myself with the costs involved of taking Rooney on the books. Mel’s a smart cookie and knows what he’s doing    

The ‘genius’ of the signing is the timing. Just as we have our ‘blip’ of poor form we’re gonna get an injection of grit, enthusiasm and professional from a player who, to be honest, is still a match winner. 

He should be the tonic we need after Chrimbo and what he’ll bring on and off the pitch will be priceless. 

COYR?

Im concerned about our current best players feeling the wage disparity in rooney joining the club on 100k.

Rooney is at the end of his career, if hes used as a striker i dont expect him to score as many as our current strikers.

If hes used as a striker does he mean someone who is scoring more is benched, our sponsor might wish to see rooney playing as hes wearing the 32 shirt.

Id play rooney as an attacking midfielder or substitute, but paying him 100k probably has to mean regular first team football.

I think there are better players, if offered 100k per week, that Derby could sign.

Could rooney be a costly mistake

Not happy with this. We have a new high profile coach who does not need unnecessary pressure to succeed before January and then have to deal with the fallout that will occur once he has arrived. 

Every result and mistake from now on will be under massive scrutiny.

Puts the back up of every club in the league and their fans and we are all aware how this team performs when under extra pressure

4 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Not happy with this. We have a new high profile coach who does not need unnecessary pressure to succeed before January and then have to deal with the fallout that will occur once he has arrived. 

Puts the back up of every club in the league and their fans and we are all aware how this team performs when under extra pressure

Winning away at Bristol, drawing away at Swansea, then beating WBA last day of the season just to make the play offs, then overturning a first leg deficit away from home in the Play Offs.

I'd say they performed pretty well under pressure.

13 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Oh well, never mind. 

Archived