Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

If he cancels his contract surely he's a free transfer immediately?

23 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Why not? Thought that the transfer window was only relevant for the buying team.. 

I did say 'I think'.  But I'm sure it was mentioned on Sky that he couldn't play for us til Jan if he signed ?‍♂️

The great thing about this signing is that we have a player that can play anywhere on the pitch from midfield to striker and do it well. In the LVG years at Man Utd he was often seen at the base of midfield and dictating play, and he's been scoring consistently for DC United.

I personally don't think Wayne Rooney is moving for the money. If anything he might be taking big pay sacrifice to come over. He's made clear that his family are desperate to leave America and haven't really settled in, and also he's keen to start moving into management and Derby seem to be the perfect transitional club to do that.

Get some experience working under a manager who's won things and delegates tasks well, and learn the ropes while you play out the final years of your career. I don't think Mel would risk Derby County financially so soon after digging us out of the hole, I think this is one of those rare can't miss opportunities. He's also already match fit so can come straight into the team.

4 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

There's only one question to be asked, and it's probably been mentioned earlier, what does Mr Cocu think? If he's sanguine about Rooney coming in then fine. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

Good question. I wondered about that too when I heard it mentioned about Rooney in his interview last night 

Imagine if all cocu has seen is the highlights of his best goals?? Overhead bicycle kicks and halfway line goals etc he'd be soiling himself Haha!

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

He was a guaranteed starter for England for most of his career, and barely scored any against big opposition or in tournaments.

If Greaves had been able to play multiple games against San Marino he'd probably be out of sight for the record.

Ahh, the old Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton etc didn't score goals in easy games - Greaves scored in an 8-1 friendly wins v USA & Switzerland, 3 vs Luxembourg in an 8-0 win, 4 v Northern Ireland in an 8-3 win, 3 vs Scotland in a 9-3 win, I could go on.....

22 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Wonder goals yes please!

But for me a player of his quality in the championship it is the composure vision and ability to dictate the play that will make a difference in this mad house league and this is what makes the move very appealing.

I remember Hoddle at Swindow and Gullit at a very average Chelsea side back then,  both past their best for sure but different class, time on the ball, vision, their quality was there for all to see.

I agree entirely. I personally still think he could do a good job for a Prem team, but if he wants to come here im not complaining.

23 goals plus 14 assists in 40 odd games for DC is a great return, but for me its the affect he has on the players around him that is the most important. He will create huge problems for opposition teams that will allow the rest of the team more space and freedom to play.

Forest are also claiming they wouldnt have him at their club on their forum, so we are getting a few laughs out of it as well?.

28 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Just watched a report from Rob Dorsett on Sky Sports website.  He finished by saying Rooney could be announced as a Derby City player today.  What a complete Bamford that man is.  He’s supposed to be a professional football journalist for God’s sake!

That's daft - Everyone knows if we're establishing a cross-Atlantic brand tie up then he's obviously leaving Derby County United

I can understand why some people would see this negatively; 34 year old past his prime, probably very big wages for a team of our stature, no obvious need for another coach (particularly one with no experience), potentially blocking a place in the team for younger, long-term prospects, a short term appointment that might not be something the coach wants or feels he needs (speculation on my part there, but can’t see Cocu walking into Mel’s office and saying ‘get me Rooney!), more of a business decision than football decision etc.  

I can only imagine that Mel enjoyed the profile the club had with FL (and even when Cole joined for a bit) and wants a bit more of it.  

So, while I’m obviously reasonably excited about an actual legend of the game joining the club (and whatever personal opinion people have, his England record cements his place as a ‘legend’), I’m also nervous about it become something of a distraction and the hullabaloo becoming disruptive.

On the other hand... Dave Mackay, Paul McGrath, Taribo West (who was at least 50) and I’m sure a wealth of others would suggest that sometimes such moves can be genius. 

Archived