Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

38 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I can guarantee that's what Shinnie has been bought in for, but we'll have to see how good/effective he is. 

That was my initial impression, but from the YouTube clips of him it looks like he likes to get forward too, perhaps a midfield 3 of a DM plus Holmes & Shinnie is the way we'll go?

Have you seen him play much?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team at the bottom of the SPL gets circa £1.2m prize money, plus tv revenue mentioned above. Add on sponsorship and its a load more revenue than national league teams.

Back on topic, Lowe has played 2 semi finals against the Old firm and a cup final in the past 9 months. Add on games at Parkhead and Ibrox. All of those games are high pressure ones and he's coped admirably, getter better the more games he played. 

Defensively, he still has things to learn, and it helps if he has defensive cover in front of him, or an experianced head beside him. 

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That was my initial impression, but from the YouTube clips of him it looks like he likes to get forward too, perhaps a midfield 3 of a DM plus Holmes & Shinnie is the way we'll go?

seen? him? play?

confused jim carrey GIF

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Oh YouTube clips. Cool. 

Lowe has been the shining star of the academy for years, represented England at every level and, as @Ambitious says, was our best player preseason. I've had two doubts about him in the past.

1. He seemed to break down quite a lot and have time off for those weird non-specific injuries. Could he stand up to men's football? The answer is clearly yes having played a full season in the SPL.
  2. When he has so much ability and it's seemed things have come easily enough, did he want it enough to really fulfil his potential? Any young fullback watching Derby this season would have been envious of Bogle's success - how the manager put his faith in him and was rewarded with a star most now deem ready for the Premier League. Max will know that could have been him. That he was in pole position as last season opened, but didn't take his chance. He'll be gutted. And he'll be desperate to do better and prove himself should the chance come again.

What Bogle did last season I'd hope and expect Lowe to do next season. Giving us a left back/left midfield star worth a lot of money. I'd be disappointed to cash in on that ability now for less than £5m.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

You've chosen 3 clubs who historically are league clubs that have fallen out the trap door.

Secondly your argument is based on a perfect world. Money and gates doesn’t always equal success. Just look at some of the teams to go up from the championship. 

I watch a decent amount of Scottish football and I’m telling you now no one in the championship would win it, reckon only Southampton out of prem bottom 5 would have a chance at winning it. 

I can’t say if there are Conference standard teams in the SPL as without a League it could not be proven, but the above statement is just so wrong! 

I would say I’d have Villa’s squad over any SPL side. All of the bottom 5 Prem sides have much better squads. 

Have a look at Rangers’ most played last season. It’d take our squad, Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United over that lot.

Tavernier - Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Wigan, Bristol, 51 apps.

McGregor  - Hull, Cardiff on loan. 

Goldson - Shrewsbury, Cheltenham, Brighton only 32 apps in 3 yrs with them

Candeias - journeyman, never played 2 seasons worth of matches or represented Portugal seniors.

Jack - captain of Aberdeen previously. Only 2 caps for Scotland. 

Kent - not as good as Wilson

Arfield - not bad but was at his peak as a player for Burnley

Lafferty - hardly been good anywhere

Morelos - very good player but a liability!

45 minutes ago, R@M said:

I can’t say if there are Conference standard teams in the SPL as without a League it could not be proven, but the above statement is just so wrong! 

I would say I’d have Villa’s squad over any SPL side. All of the bottom 5 Prem sides have much better squads. 

Have a look at Rangers’ most played last season. It’d take our squad, Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United over that lot.

Candeias - journeyman, never played 2 seasons worth of matches or represented Portugal seniors.

Celtic’s squad under Rodgers would have been top ten in the premier league. Without a crystal ball I can’t judge how they’ll be with Lennon but probably not as good. 

If Celtic had Villas money they’d be even better...

8 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Celtic’s squad under Rodgers would have been top ten in the premier league. Without a crystal ball I can’t judge how they’ll be with Lennon but probably not as good. 

If Celtic had Villa's money? I think the statement made was  no one in the championship would win the Spl. Or the bottom 5 of the prem. Surely there would be a very good chance if one of the teams I mentioned was in the SPL? 

Also, looking at Celtic's squad, we were valued at pretty much the same as them last season. Only a couple of players would have improved our team. 

I think I have corrected myself...I am now of the opinion that even the top 2 Spl teams are poo. The rest are just a lot worse. 

4 minutes ago, R@M said:

Also, looking at Celtic's squad, we were valued at pretty much the same as them last season. Only a couple of players would have improved our team. 

I think I have corrected myself...I am now of the opinion that even the top 2 Spl teams are poo. The rest are just a lot worse. 

I cant see 1 Derby player who would make Celtic better. 

Who would you choose? 

11 hours ago, desirelines said:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what Shinnie brings to the table! 

Good friend of mine is Aberdeen season ticket holder. He thinks we've got a bargain in Shinnie and thought Lowe was excellent while with them. One data point, I know, but still enough to make me think they've both got a part to play in next season's automatic promotion achievement.

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Fikayo Tomori...

One small flaw in that ?

I saw Lustig play in an Old Firm game last season and he was awful. Maybe a bad day at the office but Bogle would definitely be an improvement there.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Fikayo Tomori...

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I cant see 1 Derby player who would make Celtic better. 

Who would you choose? 

Bogle, waghorn, Marriott, Keogh. As well. 

13 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

14 hours ago, R@M said:

Celtic, during their decent run in the Champions League a few years ago had just more revenue than the relegated teams playing in the Championship who had parachute payments. The likes of Rangers and Aberdeen have considerably less revenue, but it is when you get to the bottom 6 teams of the SPL, the minnows such as Livingstone, St Mirren, St Johnstone etc, the financial figures are staggering. Haven't got a pot to pi*s in as they say. You can argue that it isn't all down to money but it is in reality. Why do Celtic and Rangers win the league every year? Why can you just about name the top 6 teams in the English premiership before the season starts? It unfortunately is based on money and who has most of it. That is why taking Celtic out of the equation, the SPL is such a poor quality league that just can't compete and is slowly dying a death. Celtic would be no more than a bottom 6 prem team/top 6 championship team, Rangers and Aberdeen bottom 6 championship/top 6 League 1, Hibs and Hearts mid table League 1 and then the remainder League 1/National League teams.....based on resources....Consequently any top 10 Championship team would be competing with Celtic to win the SPL each year, including the Rams.....

7 hours ago, R@M said:

Bogle, waghorn, Marriott, Keogh. As well. 

Bogle over a Swedish player with 75 caps? He has the potential, but still has a long way to go.

Waghorn who was bombed out of a 2nd rate Rangers side because he couldnt hack the SPL

Marriott over an ex PSG forward signed for £8m, and will go for £15m minimum when sold. 

Keogh over Ajer (tipped to be the next Van Dijk, or Simunivic who has played for Croatia all the way through the age levels. 

None of them in my book dislodges their Celtic counterpart. 

7 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

1  Livingstone, St Mirren, St Johnstone etc, the financial figures are staggering. Haven't got a pot to pi*s in as they say.

2.the SPL is such a poor quality league that just can't compete and is slowly dying a death. 

There are valid points regarding the difference in revenue with the old firm and the rest, but I cant let these 2 comments go uncontested.

1. Staggering? Staggering compared to what? They live within their means and bring through youngsters to sell on. No debt, all self sufficient. Its the way fans want their club to be run. Hungry young kids that want to improve and arnt big time charlies that have been ruined by too much £ at a young age. 

2. You couldn't be further from the truth if you think its dying a slow death. Crowds growing, clubs beginning to develop young talent, all clubs being run responsibly and not beholden to sugar daddies or forgein charlatans to survive. There's genuine excitement that we will go back to the 80's when clubs at the top of the league will beat each other. All we need is one of the Dundee clubs to get their act in order. 

You are way off the mark with that one.  

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Celtic, during their decent run in the Champions League a few years ago had just more revenue than the relegated teams playing in the Championship who had parachute payments. The likes of Rangers and Aberdeen have considerably less revenue, but it is when you get to the bottom 6 teams of the SPL, the minnows such as Livingstone, St Mirren, St Johnstone etc, the financial figures are staggering. Haven't got a pot to pi*s in as they say. You can argue that it isn't all down to money but it is in reality. Why do Celtic and Rangers win the league every year? Why can you just about name the top 6 teams in the English premiership before the season starts? It unfortunately is based on money and who has most of it. That is why taking Celtic out of the equation, the SPL is such a poor quality league that just can't compete and is slowly dying a death. Celtic would be no more than a bottom 6 prem team/top 6 championship team, Rangers and Aberdeen bottom 6 championship/top 6 League 1, Hibs and Hearts mid table League 1 and then the remainder League 1/National League teams.....based on resources....Consequently any top 10 Championship team would be competing with Celtic to win the SPL each year, including the Rams.....

Based on your logic, perhaps Croatia could have saved themselves the heartache of finishing runners up in the World Cup by not entering the tournament, seeing as they don't have as much money to invest as most other European nations, nevermind the rest of the world?

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Based on your logic, perhaps Croatia could have saved themselves the heartache of finishing runners up in the World Cup by not entering the tournament, seeing as they don't have as much money to invest as most other European nations, nevermind the rest of the world?

Or maybe with Scottish football being so good this might at some point be reflected in the achievements of the Scottish national team, you never know??? Across all leagues the evidence shows that success is down predominantly to the size of player budgets, not totally, but that is the main factor. When you look at the player budgets for the likes of St Mirren, Dundee, Ross County, St Johnstone etc it gives you a real indication of how good that club is.....

Archived