Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to the Millwall rumours:

https://the72.co.uk/186581/millwall-boss-plays-down-links-with-Derby-county-defender/

Rowett:

“I’m not quite sure where that is being driven from. He is a young player at Derby and they had a lot of them in the team last season. 
“I don’t envisage he is one they’d let out at the minute. It’s a bit of a non-story, that.”

1 minute ago, inter politics said:

https://the72.co.uk/186581/millwall-boss-plays-down-links-with-Derby-county-defender/

Rowett:

“I’m not quite sure where that is being driven from. He is a young player at Derby and they had a lot of them in the team last season. 
“I don’t envisage he is one they’d let out at the minute. It’s a bit of a non-story, that.”

So it's true then

30 minutes ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Would like to have Max as our starting left back. Forsyth and Wisdom for rotation purposes with Bogle a regular on the right.

With Max and Bogle as full backs we could do a lot worse! 

I think that’s key, we could do a lot worse. Those 2 are at least average players at this level and won’t improve unless they play regularly. I would give them both the season, yes a whole season, as starting full backs. See how they perform, ride the ups and downs. By next Summer, if they’ve proved they’re not progressing as hoped, you make a change. However, it’s as likely that they continue their progress and we have 2 highly talented full backs with a much higher value.

9 minutes ago, 48 hours said:

Agreed, but still think they would make excellent (attacking) wingbacks, with a back three defending behind them.

If both could put a cross in the box I would agree, we have got to work on this with the pair of these players

1 hour ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Would like to have Max as our starting left back. Forsyth and Wisdom for rotation purposes with Bogle a regular on the right.

I do wonder if Cocu came to the conclusion that, while he liked both players, he maybe didn't want 2 young, fairly inexperienced, fullbacks in the team together.  Especially given that both tend to get forward a little bit naively at times.  I suspect if you look back over the second half of the season, there weren't many games where both of them started (that weren't forced by injury etc). 

Having a fairly inexperienced Matt Clarke and a bunch of random guys alongside him probably didn't help too.  So maybe if Te Wierik settles quickly, and we get a decent left sided centre half too (or a more experienced Clarke back), we may see more of them playing together.

41 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I think that’s key, we could do a lot worse. Those 2 are at least average players at this level and won’t improve unless they play regularly. I would give them both the season, yes a whole season, as starting full backs. See how they perform, ride the ups and downs. By next Summer, if they’ve proved they’re not progressing as hoped, you make a change. However, it’s as likely that they continue their progress and we have 2 highly talented full backs with a much higher value.

I agree in principle but it depends on aims and objectives. If we're seriously going for top 6, then I'm not sure we can achieve that with so many young/unproven players playing week in week out regardless, that would be fine if it was purely a transitional season, but you'd still risk burnout. 

With the season over a shortened time frame anyway, Lowe will no doubt get games in rotation, and it's up to him to make himself first choice more often than not. 

You could argue his highest level of interest and value was off the back of a full season in the SPL, although in an ideal world he'll still make it here. 

3 hours ago, inter politics said:

Rowett:

He's yours Gary for £5 million. Oh, and we'll throw Mason in as a 2for1.

7 hours ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

We could do a lot better though if we wanted to stop crosses coming into the box and defend them at the far post. Defensively both are very suspect in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

We could do a lot better though if we wanted to stop crosses coming into the box and defend them at the far post. Defensively both are very suspect in my opinion. 

I actually don't think Lowe's that bad at stopping crosses coming in. Bogle, on the other hand, I absolutely agree.

Also not sure that the far post thing is a stick that you can use to beat them with. The 6'5'' Matt Smiths of the world will base their whole game plan on peeling off on to smaller full backs. Not much you can do unless you grow another half a foot or so.

I think we will end up selling one of our young prospects so raise funds for our rebuilding activities this summer.

We must weary however that we sell  who we want to sell and not necessarily the one we get the first offer on. 

To often in the past we have ended up selling talent cheaply,with no decent sell on or appearance bonus clauses etc.

The money gain must also be spent wisely taking into the needs of the team,the financial situation of the club and the state of football as it is in at the moment.   

We must be very care with any funds we have or manage to gain as the short term future for football at moment is very uncertain (especially in respect to us and our tribunal 'problems')

Archived