Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

I actually despair sometimes at how moronic some fans can be and how easily we write players off.

ALL players have to start somewhere and only a few start well. Almost all of them struggle, but show bits of potential for a few seasons as they learn the game!

If I think back in recent years, players like Dele Alli and Joe Gomez were average in average sides, but young and showing bits of potential.

I saw someone earlier in the thread criticise Lowe because of where Aberdeen finished in the league, what kind of stupid barometer is that, give your head a wobble as the kids say! I refer you back to the England internationals above. Where was Gomez in his last season before signing for Liverpool? and where did that team finish? and in what standard of league? Same for Dele Alli!?!?!?

I also refer you to the career of Andy Robertson, who is probably in the top 5 left backs in the world on recent standing, go an have a look at how he was at the same age as Lowe. Look at where he was, how highly or lowly he was judged!

I'm not saying Lowe will reach those levels, I am not saying he won't. I am saying that you're an idiot if you can write someone off based on a handful of appearances as a kid.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bielik has a good season for  Charlton and plays for the U21 Poland team. We buy him for £10 mil when all add ins are done and we cream our pants.

Lowe has a good season for Aberdeen becoming their POTY and plays for England U20’s and some people are happy to give him away for £1.5 mil, really?

5 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Bielik has a good season for  Charlton and plays for the U21 Poland team. We buy him for £10 mil when all add ins are done and we cream our pants.

Lowe has a good season for Aberdeen becoming their POTY and plays for England U21’s and some people are happy to give him away for £1.5 mil, really?

He has never played for the England u21s.

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If I think back in recent years, players like Dele Alli and Joe Gomez were average in average sides, but young and showing bits of potential.

But they showed what their potential was at a much younger age than Lowe is now. Both Ali and Gomez were signed by top-six Premier League clubs at 18 or 19. Both were full England internationals at 20. Each were bought for less than £5m.

And even 'late developer' Andy Robertson was a full Scotland international before Hull (a Premier League Club who had qualified for the Europa League at the time he signed) paid £3m for him as 20 year-old.

The problem with Lowe(and Bogle), is they can’t defend 1 v1 and struggle to read the game, but they are good going forward so I guess this lends itself to playing 3 at the back so Bogle and lowe can be wing backs. We had a similar problem a few years ago when we had Christie and Olson as our full backs which ended up making Keogh looking like a mad man and by trying to cover for their defensive deficiencies. 

I think we can only afford to play one of them in a back 4 , then on the other flank a more defensive minded full back like a Forsyth otherwise the game gets too open. 

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I actually despair sometimes at how moronic some fans can be and how easily we write players off.

ALL players have to start somewhere and only a few start well. Almost all of them struggle, but show bits of potential for a few seasons as they learn the game!

I saw someone earlier in the thread criticise Lowe because of where Aberdeen finished in the league, what kind of stupid barometer is that, give your head a wobble as the kids say! I refer you back to the England internationals above. Where was Gomez in his last season before signing for Liverpool? and where did that team finish? and in what standard of league? Same for Dele Alli!?!?!?

I also refer you to the career of Andy Robertson, who is probably in the top 5 left backs in the world on recent standing, go an have a look at how he was at the same age as Lowe. Look at where he was, how highly or lowly he was judged!

I'm not saying Lowe will reach those levels, I am not saying he won't. I am saying that you're an idiot if you can write someone off based on a handful of appearances as a kid.

I think this is doing Alli and Gomez a bit of a disservice, both were still teenagers when they were signed by Spurs and Liverpool, big PL clubs. Alli pretty much went straight into the Spurs starting 11, Gomez took a little longer to establish himself and if not for injury would of played a lot more. Both have also played for England. I don't think you can use these 2 players as the difference between these 2 and Lowe is night and day. I do hope Lowe succeeds with us but I can't see it. Last preseason against Wolves and Southampton he looked good but for whatever reason has looked out his depth in the league for us.

6 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

But they showed what their potential was at a much younger age than Lowe is now. Both Ali and Gomez were signed by top-six Premier League clubs at 18 or 19. Both were full England internationals at 20. Each were bought for less than £5m.

And even 'late developer' Andy Robertson was a full Scotland international before Hull (a Premier League Club who had qualified for the Europa League at the time he signed) paid £3m for him as 20 year-old.

Great minds eh?

1 minute ago, lukedcfc said:

Kelly went to Bournemouth for 13m, similar age and experience to Lowe. James Justin went to Leicester for 6m + add on, similar age and experience to Lowe. This makes me wonder what Lowe is actually worth, 13 or 6 miliion?

Those players are younger than lowe and have proven themselves over an extended season in English football. We haven’t seen what lowe is capable of yet. He was very bad in the opening games last season against reading and Leeds then got sent to Aberdeen . He got rave reviews at Aberdeen then he came back for the Leeds away game and got ripped apart by a  player making his first league start,  before being sent back on loan again.

Another point we need to remember is that lowe is injury prone. I say sell him to Brentford for 3-4 million then have a big sell on clause.

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I think this is doing Alli and Gomez a bit of a disservice, both were still teenagers when they were signed by Spurs and Liverpool, big PL clubs. Alli pretty much went straight into the Spurs starting 11, Gomez took a little longer to establish himself and if not for injury would of played a lot more. Both have also played for England. I don't think you can use these 2 players as the difference between these 2 and Lowe is night and day. I do hope Lowe succeeds with us but I can't see it. Last preseason against Wolves and Southampton he looked good but for whatever reason has looked out his depth in the league for us.

have you completely missed the point. Were there Liverpool or Spurs fans saying that Gomez or Alli were crap as the teams they had just played for finished so low in the table in a sub-standard league? You HAVE completely missed the point. I am not doing them a disservice at all because I am not judging their ability or character, it's a reference to how fans judge them based on who they are playing for!

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Gomez - squad player for Charlton as they finsihed 12th in the Championship, still only 17 years old

Alli - 16 goals from midfield aged 18, helping MK Dons to a 2nd placed finish, earning promotion to the Championship

24 games in the Prem followed by being a regular as Hull gained promotion back to the Premier League

2 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

He was very bad in the opening games last season against reading and Leeds

Very bad v Reading? really? absolute nonsense.

Very bad v Leeds? well obviously, the whole team was, as was most of the league!

38 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Lowe has a good season for Aberdeen becoming their POTY and plays for England U20’s and some people are happy to give him away for £1.5 mil, really?

Well, it will be interesting to see what decision our Manager makes on Lowe and if he is sold what we get for him.....I trust his judgement. My guess is is that if he is sold it will be for well under 5 million......

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

24 games in the Prem followed by being a regular as Hull gained promotion back to the Premier League

at the same age as Lowe, Robertson had been part of a Dundee United side that finished 4th in the Scottish PL, some 40 odd points behind Celtic. Do you see my point?

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Very bad v Reading? really? absolute nonsense.

Very bad v Leeds? well obviously, the whole team was, as was most of the league!

I say he was, he was technically fine with the ball but his actual defending left a lot to be desired, Reading kept targeting his area with crosses into the box by Barrow and they scores their goal due to poor defending like Lowe. His positioning was all over the place, especially for that goal.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

have you completely missed the point. Were there Liverpool or Spurs fans saying that Gomez or Alli were crap as the teams they had just played for finished so low in the table in a sub-standard league? You HAVE completely missed the point. I am not doing them a disservice at all because I am not judging their ability or character, it's a reference to how fans judge them based on who they are playing for!

I understand that but with Alli, MK finished runners up in League One and he had been talked about a lot for his potential. As for Gomez, he played half a season in the Championship at 17 years old. Both players at a young age had been touted as future internationals and had both made their England debut by the age of 20. Unfortunately Lowe has never been talked about in those terms. Plus he is our player so people do have an opinion on him based on seeing him play.

Archived