Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

Mel Morris has said recently that Derby only sell when they believe a player has reached their maximum value at the club.

Lowe struggled when he came back in last season, and he is more likely to lose value as second choice fullback this season, as he is to gain value.

My opinion is that there is only space for one young, growing  fullback in a starting XI. Unless Bogle goes, Max Lowe will and can go.

I expect Derby to bring in another full back though, maybe on loan or a lower league youngster with potential.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

Mel Morris has said recently that Derby only sell when they believe a player has reached their maximum value at the club.

Lowe struggled when he came back in last season, and he is more likely to lose value as second choice fullback this season, as he is to gain value.

My opinion is that there is only space for one young, growing  fullback in a starting XI. Unless Bogle goes, Max Lowe will and can go.

I expect Derby to bring in another full back though, maybe on loan or a lower league youngster with potential.

Good points re: value.  I don't think we need to bring anyone else in though. Shinnie and Anya can also play left back and can provide cover until Fozzy back

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

Good points re: value.  I don't think we need to bring anyone else in though. Shinnie and Anya can also play left back and can provide cover until Fozzy back

True but next season Anya will be gone and Forsyth might not recover to his old self and we might not have adequate cover whereas Lowe might be perfect? Managers decision ultimately 

28 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

True but next season Anya will be gone and Forsyth might not recover to his old self and we might not have adequate cover whereas Lowe might be perfect? Managers decision ultimately 

Steady on @Sparkle!! There are people on this forum whose very sanity depends on telling Derby managers what the best course of action is!!?

We got through five players (Lowe, Fozzy, Malone, Wisdom and Cole) at LB last season from memory, I'd be really surprised if we let Max go and didn't bring someone else in, given that it's been a problem position for us with injuries for years and two potential options (Olsson and Cole) have already left this summer.

When you consider

Fozzy is coming back from his third serious knee injury in 3 years, hasn't played a minute in pre season and from Cocu's comments in the DT, we won't be rushing him back and want him to play for the U23's first and only when he feels ready to.

Wisdom is still injured and I'm not sure we've been told when he's likely to be back? Then when he's back I guess he's really needed as RB cover first and foremost, and even if he was back in full training soon, I'd have thought it'd take some time for him to get back up to speed, he'd almost need his own pre season.

Malone had a few injury niggles last season, and missed a few games at a time, there's no guarantee it wouldn't be the same this season.

Anya and Shinnie have been mentioned, but given Anya looked to be frozen out last season, and seemed like it was going to be the same this season until he suddenly popped up in Florida, I guess it wasn't the original plan to take him but circumstances changed. Shinnie I'm certain we didn't sign to play LB but in midfield - which is where I think he's been playing almost exclusively for the last few seasons, and where his best performances have been? It would then leave us short in midfield if he was needed at LB for any length of time. I'm not sure either of those options would be ideal if needed for an extended period of games.

The other option is Macdonald, but I'm not sure he's played at all competitively with the first team yet - it would seem a big risk to chuck him in if he was needed for a run of games? We did take him to Florida, and he was playing LB while Lowe was playing as the CB, which did seem slightly strange at the time given that I'm pretty sure Macdonald has played CB more often for the youth teams. But then we haven't given him a squad number, so maybe that's not the plan.

Could Cocu's comment on 4, maybe 5 signings depending on the situation mean the situation if Max goes maybe?

Edit: Actually, did Buchanan play LB for some games the U18's last season - I'm pretty sure he did in the final against Arsenal?

4 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

He did, but he will get his maximum value once he has played regular games for Derby.

I think having bogle and Lowe flying down the wings will be very effective, if we go that way. 

4 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

He did, but he will get his maximum value once he has played regular games for Derby.

I think having bogle and Lowe flying down the wings will be very effective, if we go that way. 

The Norwich example from last season gives food for thought 

11 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Is he in Cocu's plans to play regular games? The club may feel he is at his maximum potential/value now

5 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

You'll never win anything with youngsters as Alan Hansen famously said...

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

You'll never win anything with youngsters as Alan Hansen famously said...

kids. It was kids I think. And he's probably right, small children wouldn't be able to compete in this league, not to mention all the safeguarding issues...

Had to skip through this as there's some silly posts being made. Lowe is an immense talent. He has all the ability in the world but he cracks under pressure. That can be addressed, whereas lack of raw ability can't be. Defensive savvy and calmnes will come to him in time but IMO, Bogle and Lowe could be a formidable FB pairing in a strong Derrby back 4 and I'd hate to see us sell him without first tying to develop him as a player.

I was surprised by Frank's  handling of the lad  but I expect Cocu to settle him and develop him without too much fuss.  With all this in mind I'd be desperately disappointed to see him sold as in terms of potential, he's another Bogle to me and unless we receive an 8 figure offer, I'd be hanging on to him. After all. it's asking a lot of Fozzy to come back to his best yet again and his recovery last time was over 18 months and much as I like Malone, he's not going to improve at this stage of his career. Lowe and Bogle are the future for me and we should accordingly.

18 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Had to skip through this as there's some silly posts being made. Lowe is an immense talent. He has all the ability in the world but he cracks under pressure. That can be addressed, whereas lack of raw ability can't be. Defensive savvy and calmnes will come to him in time but IMO, Bogle and Lowe could be a formidable FB pairing in a strong Derrby back 4 and I'd hate to see us sell him without first tying to develop him as a player.

I was surprised by Frank's  handling of the lad  but I expect Cocu to settle him and develop him without too much fuss.  With all this in mind I'd be desperately disappointed to see him sold as in terms of potential, he's another Bogle to me and unless we receive an 8 figure offer, I'd be hanging on to him. After all. it's asking a lot of Fozzy to come back to his best yet again and his recovery last time was over 18 months and much as I like Malone, he's not going to improve at this stage of his career. Lowe and Bogle are the future for me and we should accordingly.

For me the only surprise was having him come back in January, play him in one game, and then send back to Aberdeen. He really did need a year of injury free football at a reasonable level.

10 minutes ago, richinspain said:

For me the only surprise was having him come back in January, play him in one game, and then send back to Aberdeen. He really did need a year of injury free football at a reasonable level.

That's eaxactly what I was referring to Rich

5 hours ago, bucktwo said:

We need a utility defender who can cover both full back positions and Andre will need to park somewhere else ....wonder why he is a large shadow of the player we had on loan ?

Just confidence .  When he came here first time he was captaining England U21'S and had signed a new contract at Liverpool  after  a solid 10 first team games .  Since then things haven't gone so well bar a sometime in Austria . 

I don’t know how good he is now. From a ffp point of view whatever he sells for is 100% profit. No one really wants to sell anyone. If someone is willing to buy then they must have talent. But if he’s the only player we will get money for to fund our transfers then that’s the way it will be. 

56 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm with you here completely.

My guess with last year is that they took a good look at him initially and decided he wasn't quite ready. Then brought him to take a look at him again and see how he was getting on. 

Lowe is 22 if he is not a starting fullback here he needs to move on, he is a similar age to Harry Wilson and both need to make decisions to either become just another loan player every season till their contracts run down or make a permanent move and try and progress their careers.

We say we do not want to block a route to progress our youth players getting to Lowes age and not being a first team player is doing this Ethan Wassall is another who needs to be moved out he has never been close to breaking through.

Archived