Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worry for me is that we would sell Lowe for under market value and have to replace him, with teams knowing roughly what we have to spend. Lowe won't be on large wages and he's the youngest, arguably the best of the three/four left backs we have. He is also the one that is likely the attract the largest fee. 

I do think our fullbacks tend to be criticised for playing the system setup by Cocu. We play with a narrow defence, with very little additional help from our wingers when defending. It allows teams to double up on the outside and put crosses in the box. When going man-for-man it's not often either get beat: Lowe 106 tackles/31 dribbled past and Bogle 65/24. Matty Cash, who has been revered this season for his performances, is 110/34. Antonee Robinson who is primed for a move to the Premier League and very nearly went to AC Milan is 84/55. Luke Ayling is 46/25. You look at Ayling's numbers and you can see that he was a lot better protected by the system in place, Bielsa doesn't allow teams to double up outside and that's why they concede on average 10 fewer crosses than us a game. 

We play a system that allows teams to double up outside and due to us having extremely limited pace in the wide attacking positions also plays into that as full-backs don't feel like they are ever going to be caught out. 

Big season for Lowe I feel. He needs to fulfil his potential and push on this year. For me, he has all the attributes to be a good championship full back, but currently there is a sloppiness in his play. His passing can be frustratingly poor on occasions although he is a footballing left back. He needs to bulk up in the air and physically in general. One on one’s I like how he gets close and is very quick on his feet to close the space, but he still switches off and is getting to the age where that is unacceptable. Big year ahead. 

• 3 weeks later...

We're finally dealing with our abundance of pace and attacking mentality. We need Shackell in at RB.

I never used to rate Lawrence but the more useful attackers we get rid of the higher i rate him. He could actually be our superstar soon

£11m for both of them isn’t awful. It’s probably £2/3m shy of what we might have got in a normal non COVID season. 

Lowe is in the last year of his contract. £2m seems reasonable for a top half championship left back who can leave for free next summer. That means we’re losing Bogle for £9m in my mind. That’s £3m less than what a lot of people would be content with but he had a fairly indifferent season last year so they’re paying for potential. 

If it allows Cocu to strengthen with 3 additions he believe will allow us to move to the next level then it’s probably a good deal for all involved? 

7 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

If I was Max Lowe I would be practising kicking a football with my right foot, but that's just me.

I could apply that to most modern day footballers to be fair.

Exactly why you'd jump at the chance to go up a league.. Might not get the chance again

8 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Reports from Football Insider which is as another poster eloquently puts it a load of toss 

To be fair I agree on their reliability. But I do believe the Telegraph. And regardless of who cost what, 10m even as a starting point for the pair of them isn’t enough.

Archived