Max Lowe - Left for Sheffield United

NottsRammy

Tbf think people may be slightly overvalueing Lowe given how little football he’s played in this country, and the fact he’s not that young anymore. You look at how much we got for Thomas, who had done well in league one, and you can’t really say Lowe is worth 5-6m. 1.5m isn’t such an Obscene offer, IF we were looking to sell him it’s probably quite fair, however the fact we’re not desperate to and that it come so from another championship club means we’re right to reject the bid and probably hold out for 3m if we’re gonna sell him at all.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

at the same age as Lowe, Robertson had been part of a Dundee United side that finished 4th in the Scottish PL, some 40 odd points behind Celtic. Do you see my point?

Im probably being thick here but what do you mean with this point? When Robertson was lowe’s age, he played 42 championship games before playing 33 games in the premier league with hull

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

at the same age as Lowe, Robertson had been part of a Dundee United side that finished 4th in the Scottish PL, some 40 odd points behind Celtic. Do you see my point?

Lowe is 22 now. At the same age Robertson had already completed two seasons at Hull, which included playing in the Premier League and earned promotion from the Championship. He also had 10 caps for Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Im probably being thick here but what do you mean with this point? When Robertson was lowe’s age, he played 42 championship games before playing 33 games in the premier league with hull

Go back to my original post.

Someone is judging Lowe by the fact that Aberdeen finished where they did last season and the points they finished behind Celtic. Just cos Lowe has had a tougher path into the Derby first team than Robertson did doesn't mean he's not going to be a good player!

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not quite at the same age; Roberston turned 20 during that season.

But I do take your point that the quality of the team and the league it plays in does not necessarily define the quality of the player.

I suppose judging the merit of being named POTY has to be taken in that context - but that wasn't a point you were making.

7 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I say he was, he was technically fine with the ball but his actual defending left a lot to be desired, Reading kept targeting his area with crosses into the box by Barrow and they scores their goal due to poor defending like Lowe. His positioning was all over the place, especially for that goal.

ALL defenders make mistakes using 2 isolated games is NO WAY to judge a players ability.You say nothing of the number of good games for Aberdeen last year which eventually led to Lowe being voted player or the year.£1.5 offer was an insult to both Lowe and Derby.

Lowe has actually lacked a decent amount of playing time at Derby so our judgement is based on our last viewings which mainly was leeds home and away in the league where we were fairly dreadful as a team so it’s our harsh opinions being transmitted on here  but the lad himself seems to have enjoyed his time at Aberdeen where he played consistently apparently and he probably wants to play a lot again so he may view it as an attractive opportunity.

ultimately it’s down to our new manager and if he wants the money we can eventually get to reinvest or indeed we may just need the  money? Either way we used Lowe Malone Forsyth wisdom and Cole at left back so it was hardly settled

11 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Andy Robertson was 20 when he was with Dundee (21 when he moved to Hull) Max Lowe was 21 when we was with Aberdeen, and has turned 22 ahead of this season.

It's hardly a massive difference; and not one that really effects @Mostyn6 's point. 

Lowe's only a bit behind where he should be because of his injuries, and he's now had over 18 months injury free.

Just like Bogle, Lowe defends high up the pitch and can also play in that role in front of him. That's such a huge bonus, to potentially have two players who can switch from defence to left/right midfield/wing. It gives us so many more options as opposed to the likes of Malone and Wisdom. I want Lowe to be our number 1 left back this season. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I actually despair sometimes at how moronic some fans can be and how easily we write players off.

ALL players have to start somewhere and only a few start well. Almost all of them struggle, but show bits of potential for a few seasons as they learn the game!

If I think back in recent years, players like Dele Alli and Joe Gomez were average in average sides, but young and showing bits of potential.

I saw someone earlier in the thread criticise Lowe because of where Aberdeen finished in the league, what kind of stupid barometer is that, give your head a wobble as the kids say! I refer you back to the England internationals above. Where was Gomez in his last season before signing for Liverpool? and where did that team finish? and in what standard of league? Same for Dele Alli!?!?!?

I also refer you to the career of Andy Robertson, who is probably in the top 5 left backs in the world on recent standing, go an have a look at how he was at the same age as Lowe. Look at where he was, how highly or lowly he was judged!

I'm not saying Lowe will reach those levels, I am not saying he won't. I am saying that you're an idiot if you can write someone off based on a handful of appearances as a kid.

Please post more often Mostyn.

18 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

ALL defenders make mistakes using 2 isolated games is NO WAY to judge a players ability.You say nothing of the number of good games for Aberdeen last year which eventually led to Lowe being voted player or the year.£1.5 offer was an insult to both Lowe and Derby.

You’re right that all players make mistakes, but it wasn’t mistakes I’m criticising. A lack of defensive quality hasn’t got anything to do with mistakes, it’s simply because he isn’t very good in that particular area and has to improve . Sometimes players can get away with defensive deficiencies in their game if they are really quick, like Tomori did, but Lowe doesn’t have blistering pace. Lampard and Jody didn’t seem to fancy him either because he was sent on loan after those games, and straight after the second league game v Leeds again and they would have seen him in training every day. The one benefit we can give him is that he used to be a left midfielder so isn’t a natural defender, could this be improved? Time will tell.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Go back to my original post.

Someone is judging Lowe by the fact that Aberdeen finished where they did last season and the points they finished behind Celtic. Just cos Lowe has had a tougher path into the Derby first team than Robertson did doesn't mean he's not going to be a good player!

The point is that the valuation of 5-6 mill by many on here for Lowe is down to the performances he made for Aberdeen last season in the SPL. Half of the time he would have been playing against teams the likes of Ross County, Hamilton, St Johnstone, Livingstone and Kilmarnock...on a par with League 2 teams in England at best. So the standard he performed at was predominantly at a much lower standard of football week in week out than he would face in a very strong Championship, the 5th richest league in the world, a league he struggled playing in at the start of last season. As such is it logical to suggest from that that he is suddenly worth 5-6 million? I would suggest not and that if he is sold it will be closer to 2 mill....time will tell what our new Manager thinks.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The point is that the valuation of 5-6 mill by many on here for Lowe is down to the performances he made for Aberdeen last season in the SPL. Half of the time he would have been playing against teams the likes of Ross County, Hamilton, St Johnstone, Livingstone and Kilmarnock...on a par with League 2 teams in England at best. So the standard he performed at was predominantly at a much lower standard of football week in week out than he would face in a very strong Championship, the 5th richest league in the world, a league he struggled playing in at the start of last season. As such is it logical to suggest from that that he is suddenly worth 5-6 million? I would suggest not and that if he is sold it will be closer to 2 mill....time will tell what our new Manager thinks.

just for clarity, I am not debating the potential value of Lowe. I take issue with the criteria by which he is judged by supposed fans.

I've seen people a lot better than Lowe play a lot worse than he played against Leeds in those two games. I could show you footage of Mark Wright defending calamitously against Forest and giving a goal away, this as a full England international and Derby captain. 

I find it disingenuous and almost disloyal (to the club and players) just how easily people who call themselves Derby fans can write off someone who hasn't really had chance to learn the game.

Lowe was sent out on loan because he is/was not yet ready for the Championship. He is still developing. Another example is Roos. He flapped at a couple in a big game, but there are WORLD CLASS goalkeepers making these errors too. Why do Derby fans demand perfection when it doesn't exist?

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

He’s worth whatever Brentford are willing to pay for him.

Then it’s for the club to decide what’s better for the club, Max Lowe or the money.

Er, not exactly.

If the club chooses the player, then by definition he's worth more to them than the money that has been offered. So in that situation, he's worth more than whatever Brentford are willing to pay.

I get the whole angle of "he's only worth what someone will pay", but in reality that's often not true. Teams get bargains, and overspend, all the time.

Archived