Cameron Carter-Vickers - Signed for Stoke, then Luton

JfR

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Our recruitment team striking again...they are only here for the bants.

How many of our best players over the last 10 years have come from playing exceptional for other teams? 

Ince, Martin, Vydra, Carson, Eustace, Wisdom, Fozzy, Bent. All these players were considered not good enough for their teams yet at some point or another were exceptional for us. 

It is the players we bought for big money when playing well that have flopped: Butterfield/Lawrence/Zoon/Blackman even Waghorn/Marriott/Bielik are yet to prove themselves.

Its not sustainable to go for expensive proven players, it's up to the management and recruitment team to find players that are out of sorts where they are but have the ability to fit into our team. 

Amazes me that people are happy to look at another teams message board to decide if a player is “good enough” imagine an opposition fan coming on here  to look, would depend entirely on which lunatics comments they happened to come across (love you all really ?) so let’s judge on what we see in a Derby shirt if he comes.

Admitedly, my faith in our recruitment team isn’t very high at the moment, but I hope Cocu and team are having more input now. Plus we need 2 centre halves, can this lad be any worse than Forsyth at centre half? I never want to see that again.

Just now, jimbo jones said:

Amazes me that people are happy to look at another teams message board to decide if a player is “good enough” imagine an opposition fan coming on here  to look, would depend entirely on which lunatics comments they happened to come across (love you all really ?) so let’s judge on what we see in a Derby shirt if he comes.

Admitedly, my faith in our recruitment team isn’t very high at the moment, but I hope Cocu and team are having more input now. Plus we need 2 centre halves, can this lad be any worse than Forsyth at centre half? I never want to see that again.

You can also look out of curiosity what other people think of player and decide your own opinion later?

6 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'll wait to see him in the shirt but my only reservation is that he's only 6'0" tall for a centre half. Let's remember the only reason we don't have an orange second strip is that we'd look like a team of oompa loompas running around the pitch!

Which is the same height as Tomori ?‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

You can also look out of curiosity what other people think of player and decide your own opinion later?

Of course you can. I do. It’s the the “stoke fans say he’s poo why are we signing him” type comments I’m referring to.

Just now, rynny said:

Which is the same height as Tomori ?‍♂️

Believe me we are a short team.  I'm 6'4" and have stood in the tunnel with most of this team and pretty much towered above them all.  I'm not suggesting height is a substitute for ability but is it any wonder physical teams have been able to exploit this over the last couple of seasons?

Mind you if he turns out to be anything like the player Tomori was I'll be a happy chap.

I would not feel this is a 'progressive' or 'exciting' signing.  He has the profile of the Dowell type loan signing (ie. not improving and having stagnated in his loans).  He has been at Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Swansea and Stoke.  Think there would be better loan centre backs to look at like Hoever (Liverpool), Guehi (Chelsea) or Harwood-Bellis (Man City).  Going at the other end, Chester at Villa could be one to look at on loan.

Thing is we currently have no academy players ready to step up & as it stands no centre back for next season. So if we can get this lad or someone else in on loan at first to take a look at then potentially turn it into a permanent then why not. We need 3 or 4 new CBs, a young 21 year old who could make the grade isnt a bad gamble. Who care what stoke fans think? They probably think Ince is rubbish but id take him back over our wingers any day!

I’ve always liked CCV when I’ve seen him which has been a rarity. It smacks of the Tomori loan, who was in and out of a Hull City side and struggled to make an impact - typically shoed in at RB. Get him signed up and make sure we get a permanent fee pencilled in this time. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Something that surprises me, for a club with such a great academy, we dont have a CB or 2 amongst our ranks ready to either make the step up or act as adequate cover.

24 million invested (according to Mel) and we are having to loan other teams youngsters.

It's been the weakest part of our academy.

1 minute ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

If CCV hasn’t  played much in the Stoke first team the opportunities for our Recruitment Team to see him play must have been limited.

Has CCV been playing in the Stoke under 23s?

We wanted him before his stint at Stoke so our interest will be mainly based on last season at Swansea

Archived