Sign in to follow this  
Needlesh

Scottish Football - what's the point?

Kicked off with it's traditional level of contest. Celtic 7-0 St Johnstone, as they begin a campaign for their 8th (?) straight title.

Surely they should join up with English football and regionalise the united league. SPL is just a pointless competition.

35 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Kicked off with it's traditional level of contest. Celtic 7-0 St Johnstone, as they begin a campaign for their 8th (?) straight title.

Surely they should join up with English football and regionalise the united league. SPL is just a pointless competition.

Agreed, can you take the Old Firm please?

It’s been a one horse race for a long time now. And there always seems to be a couple of really poo teams who’ve come up from the championship who just get hammered each season as well. Title and relegation spots are normally confirmed by Christmas. Only real but of competition in it is who between Aberdeen and Rangers finishes second. That’s about it, rest is so easy to call normally. Pretty pointless watching when you know what’s gonna happen.

Leave them where they are though. We’re separate footballing associations, it’s not time for a united league. We keep our set up, they keep theirs, separate as it should be. Up to them to make their leagues higher quality and more competitive, not us.

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

In all seriousness, the fans up North are just as passionate about their clubs as the fans down here. 

Is the SPL pointless? From a personal point of view, my 2 best friends are having a whale of a time in the Europa league this season. Finland 3 weeks ago, Georgia 2 weeks ago and Croatia this week. All due to a long hard slog in the SPL last season. 

Apologies if you havnt seen my previous defence of Scottish football on these pages. I wont drone on like a broken record 😊

Guarenteed there are similar posts on SPL forums saying 'whats the point of the EPL', and the EFL. 

Not knocking the passion, just the disconnect between the levels of support, finance and resultant inevitability. 

Aberdeen, Hibs, and Hearts for instance, could possibly end up finding a Championship type level and could have their day in the Prem as easily as Portsmouth, or Wigan, or Blackburn and so on. Better for the fans than a trip to Lithuania and out of European competition by the time the schools go back. The old firm would strengthen the Prem in pure club size terms.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s been a one horse race for a long time now. And there always seems to be a couple of really poo teams who’ve come up from the championship who just get hammered each season as well.

Oh man, im really trying to bite my tounge on this thread. 

Without googling, I cant remember a side coming up into the league and getting hammered, or even dropping back to the 1st division. It's actually been quite compeditive below Celtic and Aberdeen over the past 8 season. 

1 minute ago, Needlesh said:

Not knocking the passion, just the disconnect between the levels of support, finance and resultant inevitability. 

Aberdeen, Hibs, and Hearts for instance, could possibly end up finding a Championship type level and could have their day in the Prem as easily as Portsmouth, or Wigan, or Blackburn and so on. Better for the fans than a trip to Lithuania and out of European competition by the time the schools go back. The old firm would strengthen the Prem in pure club size terms.

Apart from the Old firm, fans of the other clubs couldnt give a stuff about the English pyramid. 

They are proud of their local traditions, rivalries and culture. Same to be said of English clubs. They will take their chances in Lithuania over Wigan or Barnsley any day of the week. 

Personally, I hope we never join leagues. 

12 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Oh man, im really trying to bite my tounge on this thread. 

Without googling, I cant remember a side coming up into the league and getting hammered, or even dropping back to the 1st division. It's actually been quite compeditive below Celtic and Aberdeen over the past 8 season. 

Maybe I’m wrong, just seemed to remember glancing at tables last season and seeing the bottom two miles adrift. That may have been one of the other Scottish divisions... I don’t know, I don’t watch any bar the odd game between clubs near the top

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Maybe I’m wrong, just seemed to remember glancing at tables last season and seeing the bottom two miles adrift. That may have been one of the other Scottish divisions... I don’t know, I don’t watch any bar the odd game between clubs near the top

Possibly Brechin in the 1st division last year. The gap between league 1 and 2 is a chasm. 

9 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Apart from the Old firm, fans of the other clubs couldnt give a stuff about the English pyramid. 

They are proud of their local traditions, rivalries and culture. Same to be said of English clubs. They will take their chances in Lithuania over Wigan or Barnsley any day of the week. 

Personally, I hope we never join leagues. 

Fair enough. That precisely answers my question...the point of the Scottish league is the tradition, for it's own sake.

5 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Possibly Brechin in the 1st division last year. The gap between league 1 and 2 is a chasm. 

That may have been it. Do you not think Scottish football would be improved by having less divisions and more teams a division? Always seems odd to me there are only 12 teams in the top flight or whatever it is. 

This would be their 9th in a row if they do it. They also won the domestic treble for the third year in a row last year. However the gap was only 9 points to Rangers in second place last year and i feel Rangers are stronger this year than last, so could push Celtic further this season. Rangers also won 9 in a row in the 90s as well.

I dont think the leagues need to merge - you'd just need to get rid of Celtic and maybe Rangers to fix it. The rest of the league is fairly competitive.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That may have been it. Do you not think Scottish football would be improved by having less divisions and more teams a division? Always seems odd to me there are only 12 teams in the top flight or whatever it is. 

We are constantly looking at different ways to structure the leagues. No matter what you do there will always be 2 massive clubs.  

There's probobly enough decent sized clubs for a 16 team league, however that means only 1 visit from Celtic and Rangers per season and the likes of St Mirren, Hamilton and Killie etc wont vote for it. They like the revenue from a 2nd game. 

Its difficult. While Sky constantly promote the EPL like its the only place to been seen, and the champions league clubs (Barca, Madrid, PSG etc) are all over social media, then trying to get kids interested in the SPL is a tough ask. 

The same is happening all over Europe bar Spain & England. Even Italy and Germany are beginning to see the effects. 

2 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Scottish Football - what's the point?........to stay as far away as possible from the English Football League.

Simple rules, let the Scottish get on with their football and let the English get on with their football and enjoy the one you are following and all the rest.

Scottish football is fine but being a Celtic fan at the moment must be so soul destroying. How do they even find the energy to go to games knowing that they're always going to win? They need Rangers to get back on their level so they van have their own 2 team mini league every season and the rest of the SPL can continue enjoying their race for third place.

There is a point to Scottish football, I just wouldn't want to be a Celtic fan.

11 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Scottish football is fine but being a Celtic fan at the moment must be so soul destroying. How do they even find the energy to go to games knowing that they're always going to win? They need Rangers to get back on their level so they van have their own 2 team mini league every season and the rest of the SPL can continue enjoying their race for third place.

There is a point to Scottish football, I just wouldn't want to be a Celtic fan.

Its a tricky one. At the moment Celtic get an easy road to attempt to qualify for the Champions league. Fans are happy, and bragging rights on full effect. 

From the boards point of view however, a weak Rangers means less season tickets sold and a load less merchandise sold. 

The old firm need each other because the hatred and religious bigotry = ££££. 

12 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Scottish Football - what's the point?........to stay as far away as possible from the English Football League.

Simple rules, let the Scottish get on with their football and let the English get on with their football and enjoy the one you are following and all the rest.

Fine by me. Pretty unhealthy to define yourself by how much you hate someone else though.

It's really unfair to compare the English League with the Scottish League. It's a question of scale, England simply has a population more than 10 times that of Scotland, therefore it has a lot more big clubs (not the mention having Wales' largest teams).  The Scottish league is perfectly reasonable for the size of the country in terms of quality, and better than many countries of a similar size.  It is dominated by two disproportionately large clubs however and that does take from the top tier's competitiveness.  That's been exasperated by Rangers problems of late, but they are nearly back to being on a par with Celtic. Therefore soon, possibly even this season, there will be a genuine title race in Scotland again.

38 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Fine by me. Pretty unhealthy to define yourself by how much you hate someone else though.

They are just trying to annoy the Irish fans they are walking past, who will naturally be appalled by the grievous insult being thrown at them. 😂