Today I Learned

David

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'll give you some knowledge too.

Seeing as you're starting a uni course, you'll have to start living like a student. Two words: White Storm. 3 litres, 7.5%, £4.19. Bargain.

Keep your knowledge, I have no interest in giving up on personal hygiene and living off bottles of 7.5% urine.

53 minutes ago, David said:
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Being a ridiculous stickler for accuracy I feel compelled to say there's no such time as 12pm as it's ambiguous. Use 12 noon or 12 midnight. Here, from the home of time itself in Greenwichhttps://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/noon-12-am-or-12-pm

Did you know that if John Flamsteed had got his way it would have been the Royal Derby Observatory not Greenwich .  Everything always centres around bloody London . 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did you know that if John Flamsteed had got his way it would have been the Royal Derby Observatory not Greenwich .  Everything always centres around bloody London . 

I did not! Though here in London we wouldn't really consider Greenwich to be London. It's miles out of town. Almost as quick to get to Pride Park as to the Royal Observatory...

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

I did not! Though here in London we wouldn't really consider Greenwich to be London. It's miles out of town. Almost as quick to get to Pride Park as to the Royal Observatory...

Derby public records library have some very interesting stuff on Flamsteed. A variety of letters in which he basically complains about Halley nicking his work, identifying comets he had already found and giving access to his work to Issac Newton to plagiarize star charts he was working on .  Seems he was bit to trusting in giving his mate Edmund access to his notes.  

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Derby public records library have some very interesting stuff on Flamsteed. A variety of letters in which he basically complains about Halley nicking his work, identifying comets he had already found and giving access to his work to Issac Newton to plagiarize star charts he was working on .  Seems he was bit to trusting in giving his mate Edmund access to his notes.  

I'm assuming there still there - was years ago I read them . Derby city council keep flogging stuff to fill holes .  Was in Newquay the other week and a childrens train went past with Markeaton park Derby on one of the carriages.  We're even flogging kids trains now.

5 hours ago, David said:
5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Being a ridiculous stickler for accuracy I feel compelled to say there's no such time as 12pm as it's ambiguous. Use 12 noon or 12 midnight. Here, from the home of time itself in Greenwichhttps://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/noon-12-am-or-12-pm

I learned this too.

I'd always assumed that 12 noon is 12pm as it is the start of the afternoon and 12 midnight is 12am as it is the start of the morning.

I prefer zero hundred hours (00:00), or twelve hundred hours (12:00).  I don't know why I prefer this format.  I do know there is no logic in there, as there is no relation between a clock and the term "hundred"!  I just like it, and don't care if that makes me an imbecile!  :-)

...Today, I learned I don't actually care what other people think!  I'm free, I tell yer... free!   

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'll give you some knowledge too.

Seeing as you're starting a uni course, you'll have to start living like a student. Two words: White Storm. 3 litres, 7.5%, £4.19. Bargain.

Not in Scotland mate...…….if @David is off to St Andrews to mix it with the Royals and the gentry, he's gonna need deep pockets...…..

Never mind....now wrong with Grimsby Tech! ?

Today I learned that it takes a wasp 3 minutes to completely dismember a large fly. I videod the whole thing from the initial wrestle and jabbing it's stinger into the fly, to the frenzied ripping the poor thing to pieces, to the final tearing off it's head and flying away with it. Here's a still from the video...

20190804_182504-01.thumb.jpeg.6aa1b12faedf7ce6f5097da157d0caa0.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Today I learned that it takes a wasp 3 minutes to completely dismember a large fly. I videod the whole thing from the initial wrestle and jabbing it's stinger into the fly, to the frenzied ripping the poor thing to pieces, to the final tearing off it's head and flying away with it. Here's a still from the video...

Did you know only female wasps sting?  Found this out from a farmer when he picked two up and put them outside. How he knew they were female I have no idea .

27 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did you know only female wasps sting?  Found this out from a farmer when he picked two up and put them outside. How he knew they were female I have no idea .

I did not know that. Sounds about right tho.

1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

That is a premonition that you've witnessed today. It signifies what we will do to the Gumps this season. 

On 02/08/2019 at 18:02, Mucker1884 said:

I prefer zero hundred hours (00:00), or twelve hundred hours (12:00).  I don't know why I prefer this format.  I do know there is no logic in there, as there is no relation between a clock and the term "hundred"!  I just like it, and don't care if that makes me an imbecile!  ?

...Today, I learned I don't actually care what other people think!  I'm free, I tell yer... free!   

A7C7FCB6-8BE5-48FE-8C21-06F36174E3B5.jpeg

Archived