Cycling to home games.

swanny

Hello, 

I know its a bit odd but i wondered if anyone on here does it. I live at the the end of the a52 but i think it should be doable.  Does anyone know if its possible to get onto the path by the Rover Derwent from pride park and where you do it? I can see routes that go from the station, but i just cant picture where the access would be directly from the ground. 

thanks

paul 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw some leaving on bikes from around the velodrome after the girona game funnily enough. Dunno whether there’s an area to dump them there for the match. 

Not that I’ll be cycling mine, I couldn’t be arsed it cycle to the local corner shop yet alone to the football 

2 minutes ago, swanny said:

Hello, 

I know its a bit odd but i wondered if anyone on here does it. I live at the the end of the a52 but i think it should be doable.  Does anyone know if its possible to get onto the path by the Rover Derwent from pride park and where you do it? I can see routes that go from the station, but i just cant picture where the access would be directly from the ground. 

thanks

paul 

It's up near the bridge to the Wyvern - Head from the ground as if you're going over to Costco/KFC/Pizza Hut - Then the path goes off to the LHS of the bridge and onto the side of the river

21 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Though you will have to deal with the thousands of people now using this bridge as the other bridge has been demolished.

I think you're thinking of the footbridge over to Chad aren't you?

Getting onto the path alongside the Derwent from the ground you don't even get to that bridge - The path is on the same side of the river as the ground on PP not on the Wyvern or beyond

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think you're thinking of the footbridge over to Chad aren't you?

Getting onto the path alongside the Derwent from the ground you don't even get to that bridge - The path is on the same side of the river as the ground on PP not on the Wyvern or beyond

Oh yes, I'd gone too far in my head! 

4 hours ago, swanny said:

Hello, 

thanks

paul 

I cycle in decent weather, but only come up from near the cricket ground, up past the old west meadows/through Costco.

The path to the river is as said above, on the main bridge over the river, between the stadium and Costco.  At reaching the river, turn left for city centre, turn right for Alvaston Park and beyond.

Cycle Racks (just upside-down U shape bars to lock to.  Bikes will only free-stand or lean on the bars).  Defo some right outside the club shop.

You'll defo need to push and walk as you leave the ground.  I don't get on until I reach Costco.  I'd imagine the river path is also too busy to ride, certainly towards the City?

Oh... you can also access the river path by going around the ar5e end of DW Sports, past the away coaches.

I'm intrigued to know which end of the A52 you'll be cycling from... Newcastle-Under-Lyme, or Mablethorpe!  :-)

Another access to/from the river path... the roundabout nearest the club shop... don't take the main road through (so not towards Costco, and not along The North Stand) but take the one opposite Subway.  Road-wise, it all leads to dead ends, but there's pedestrian access to the river path straight ahead, and Google Maps shows it as a cycle path.  

As with all these access points, and the river path itself, I'd imagine they are extremely busy with pedestrians for an hour either side of the game?  The path is fine for Sunday cycling, but not exactly wide enough to accommodate both pedestrians and cyclists on matchdays!

10 hours ago, swanny said:

Hello, 

thanks

paul 

The end of the A52 is Skegness isn't it? Long bike ride.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Another access to/from the river path... the roundabout nearest the club shop... don't take the main road through (so not towards Costco, and not along The North Stand) but take the one opposite Subway.  Road-wise, it all leads to dead ends, but there's pedestrian access to the river path straight ahead, and Google Maps shows it as a cycle path.  

As with all these access points, and the river path itself, I'd imagine they are extremely busy with pedestrians for an hour either side of the game?  The path is fine for Sunday cycling, but not exactly wide enough to accommodate both pedestrians and cyclists on matchdays!

We walk that route back into town and there's loads of cyclists weaving in and out ( many cut onto the grass). It does help if you have got a bell! 

I like cycling but I could only see the disadvantage of being a pedestrian (vehicles will still try to murder you) combined with the disadvantage of having a vehicle (you can't get anywhere because of all the pedestrians) . Plus, I know I'd spend the whole time worrying about my bike being pinched.

I hope it works for you though, cycling is a great option in lots of situations and I generally think should be encouraged. Although in the same breath, I do wish a lot of cyclists would ride better/more considerately.

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, angieram said:

We walk that route back into town and there's loads of cyclists weaving in and out ( many cut onto the grass). It does help if you have got a bell! 

Shared pedestrian/cycle routes can be somewhat problematic.

The Bell thing...well you are supposed to use it, but some pedestrians think you are being rude using it, its a bit of a no win situation.

Personally as i dont cycle fast i prefer to go for the slow approach, brake a bit and hope they hear me but if all else fails then use my bell.

Some cyclists are a night mare though, even to other cyclists, they shout out stuff like 'right', im like what me or you? i dont know, they are coming at such pace and i havent got time to work it out.

Archived