Four new signings before the window closes

Day

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I am not being a drama queen. We are short of forward players and there is no back up if Lawrence or Dowell sustain injuries.

To move away from Lawrence and Dowell, and look more generally.  The club has the stated desire/intent to have a pathway to bring the academy players through to the first team.  Bringing in players simply to be backup surely blocks this pathway to a degree does it not?  
I'm not saying we don't need to bring in another winger, but a) the club may be looking at players we haven't been linked with, or b) the club may feel they have enough within the academy to step up to cover injuries?

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Anyone else got a really bad feeling that we might end the day with nothing? I don't know why. Just a feeling I've got.

Nope. The exact opposite, in fact. The Malone deal last year (and the business we've done this summer) has been done quietly behind the scenes. I fully expect us to pull one or two rabbits out of the hat today! 

6 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I am not being a drama queen. We are short of forward players and there is no back up if Lawrence or Dowell sustain injuries.

Dowell - Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Sibley, Rooney (from Jan) are all options as CMs or AMs
Lawrence - Bennett, Jozefzoon, Anya, Whittaker, Mitchell-Lawson, Wilson are all currently options as wingers

We can also adjust our setup to minimise the impact of the injury. Think 442 diamond if Lawrence is injured, or 4231 if Dowell is injured.

I really can't believe the doom and gloom merchants on here, if we get a couple of players in then we get them, if we don't are you saying we are a spent force with the players we have to compete. Everybody can post on here about the players we want for the positions we are short in Cocu will only sign a player if he thinks they will improve the squad. I think people on here are going to be surprised with the squad we already have to push on. To me we now have a manager and assistants including Given and Rosenior who are instilling a sense of confidence and belief in the squad which even FL didn't do. Look at Lawrence Monday night do you think that was all down to Lawrence, of course it wasn't, a totally different player to last season. Roos played a blinder in the 2nd half along with the outfielders and soaked up the pressure.Everybody goes on about Roos's mistakes of last season,that was last season, do you think he is not aware of that ,do you think he has not sat down with Given  and others to improve on his weaknesses.Monday night was not a one off. 10 minutes to go Monday night and Cocu brings Knight on when we are under pressure, to me that's a manager who believes in this squad

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Only sign someone who is better than what we have and if so only for what we can genuinely afford because there are serious sums of money being handed over for some very average players currently within the wider window 

Absolutely. The window produces neurotic Club behaviour. Fans “expect”, managers like the window because it makes them look effective yet increasingly average players go for stupd, unsustainable amounts of money. 

Maupay for £20 million!? Really?? 

18 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Play Sibley, play Knight, give the academy players a chance

but, but if Dowell gets injured we’re ducked!

make your mind up what you want ffs

Get real, what you are saying is the replacements are crap,really i can't believe you just posted that

2 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Get real, what you are saying is the replacements are crap,really i can't believe you just posted that

And I can’t believe you took it as you did.

people are saying if Lawrence or Dowell get injured we are ducked. I’m saying that we have some great academy players that people want to get chances. So we won’t be ducked.

understand now?

47 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Well said you two. However, even though the window closes at 5pm I'd expect our final announcements to come afterwards once all the paperwork is confirmed. So people shouldn't start panicking until at least 7pm. But I'll be surprised if the forum doesn't end the day buzzing.

What do you know Carl? What do you know?

28 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. The window produces neurotic Club behaviour. Fans “expect”, managers like the window because it makes them look effective yet increasingly average players go for stupd, unsustainable amounts of money. 

Maupay for £20 million!? Really?? 

Yep - but they can waste that money this season but not next year when they get relegated 

Was just thinking that what has been reported yesterday/today is quite intriguing. More or less everyone we were linked to yesterday were either not genuine, was dismissed almost outright or are going elsewhere. Today we seem to be linked to a Japanese player who is reportedly 'not our first choice'

This might imply that the wingers we were connected with yesterday perhaps weren't our preferred options either and that there may be other things going on behind the scenes. 

This would appear to fit with our new 'tight lipped' buisness strategy where we don't seem to know anything until the signing is almost complete. 

I'm quietly confident we will do some decent buisness today. We'll see...

19 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What do you know Carl? What do you know?

A couple of people have mentioned whispers about whispers to me. Would be happy about any of it. Can't talk about these things today soz.

For those interested in the window and buzz, Sky Sports News is free today on YouTube:

44 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I really can't believe the doom and gloom merchants on here, if we get a couple of players in then we get them, if we don't are you saying we are a spent force with the players we have to compete. Everybody can post on here about the players we want for the positions we are short in Cocu will only sign a player if he thinks they will improve the squad. I think people on here are going to be surprised with the squad we already have to push on. To me we now have a manager and assistants including Given and Rosenior who are instilling a sense of confidence and belief in the squad which even FL didn't do. Look at Lawrence Monday night do you think that was all down to Lawrence, of course it wasn't, a totally different player to last season. Roos played a blinder in the 2nd half along with the outfielders and soaked up the pressure.Everybody goes on about Roos's mistakes of last season,that was last season, do you think he is not aware of that ,do you think he has not sat down with Given  and others to improve on his weaknesses.Monday night was not a one off. 10 minutes to go Monday night and Cocu brings Knight on when we are under pressure, to me that's a manager who believes in this squad

Great post

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you are using 2 players to back up your point that other clubs have 'by and large signed the players they wanted and some of those players were players we would have liked..'?

Seriously, stop being a drama queen.

It isn't as if there is an unlimited number of wingers available who will enhance our team. In addition the season has started and we have 3 wingers two of whom aren't anything special. It has been no secret that  wanted to replace Harry Wilson who scored 18 goals last season. I am not being dramatic just pragmatic.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

just realised theres under 5 hours left, to get a player here, do a medical, sign contract.. 

Medicals often get done elsewhere during deadline day, especially with foreign players - an official from the club goes to the player.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Dowell - Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Sibley, Rooney (from Jan) are all options as CMs or AMs
Lawrence - Bennett, Jozefzoon, Anya, Whittaker, Mitchell-Lawson, Wilson are all currently options as wingers

We can also adjust our setup to minimise the impact of the injury. Think 442 diamond if Lawrence is injured, or 4231 if Dowell is injured.

Don’t you dare forget about CM19 in that CAM position ?

Archived