Four new signings before the window closes

David

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we play a 4231 not sure we really need an out and out RW, Evans/Hud/Bielik for the 2 with Clarke and Keogh behind I expect Bogle/Malone to be roaming fwd a lot, there are enough options for a fluid 3 already on the books. We looked good enough on Monday to beat one of the fancied teams away from home without our best team on paper even starting, with a poor/disrupted/short preseason according to some and the hangover of losing the PO final..... 

Could have signed Kent for £7.5 million. Could have taken two Wolves wingers on loan early but they went elsewhere. Left with the crumbs and having until 5pm to do something. It isn't any use having Rooney up your sleeve if you are already mid table by Christmas!

13 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Anyone else got a really bad feeling that we might end the day with nothing? I don't know why. Just a feeling I've got.

Everyone we are being linked with is either going somewhere else (Murphy, Diangana) or won't be allowed to leave by their parent clubs (Ibe, Locadia)

FWIW. Looking at our side. I think if we can only bring one in today then it had to be a winger. Going to January with Jozefzoon and Bennett as your options there is not good. For me a winger is a priority. 

Then a keeper. Just seen that we won't sign a keeper. Letting your best keeper leave and not signing a replacement is a bit daft. Don't get me wrong. Going into a season with Roos (who's barely proven at this level), Mitchell and Ravas who aren't proven at all is a bit of a risk to me. 

Then an attacking midfielder. I'd like one and do think we need one. But we've got Holmes coming back, plus I actually think Marriott could play there too. Not to mention Wazza will be here in January.

Not worried in the slightest - we have signed 5 players and we already have good players 

I have a feeling we wont get anyone else.

We want say it has been a bad window, Clarke and Bielik are 2 great signings, had Rooney joined us now I'd probably be happy with what we have. Unfortunately Rooney joining in Jan leaves us short on quality still.

I don't want to be languishing in mid table when Rooney arrives, I want him to push us from top6 to top 2.

I'm really not too concerned. Obviously I want a RW in at least by the end of the day but if we don't, no need to panic. Judging by the performance on Monday even with a midfield of hudds and Evans, we looked pretty damn good 

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Anyone else got a really bad feeling that we might end the day with nothing? I don't know why. Just a feeling I've got.

Everyone we are being linked with is either going somewhere else (Murphy, Diangana) or won't be allowed to leave by their parent clubs (Ibe, Locadia)

FWIW. Looking at our side. I think if we can only bring one in today then it had to be a winger. Going to January with Jozefzoon and Bennett as your options there is not good. For me a winger is a priority. 

Then a keeper. Just seen that we won't sign a keeper. Letting your best keeper leave and not signing a replacement is a bit daft. Don't get me wrong. Going into a season with Roos (who's barely proven at this level), Mitchell and Ravas who aren't proven at all is a bit of a risk to me. 

Then an attacking midfielder. I'd like one and do think we need one. But we've got Holmes coming back, plus I actually think Marriott could play there too. Not to mention Wazza will be here in January.

What, where why ?

Totally agree and it seems a priority now. Cocu himself said he  he wanted comptetition for places but I am not convinced it's there if Carson does go today. This being said Shay given will have seen them day to day for over a year now so he should know if there is sufficent competiton or not.

Was it not Cloughie who said a good keeper that's 10 points over a season ?

7 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Could have signed Kent for £7.5 million. Could have taken two Wolves wingers on loan early but they went elsewhere. Left with the crumbs and having until 5pm to do something. It isn't any use having Rooney up your sleeve if you are already mid table by Christmas!

Maybe, and maybe I'm going out on a limb here, Cocu didn't want any of those players and you're being a tad dramatic.

In all honesty, we could look into the free agent market, several players names have caught my eye personally and I feel they'll strive at this level...

Michel Vorm - replacement for Carson, doesn't necessarily have to be starter every game, but much better than Mitchell and on par with Roos..

Daniel Schwaab - Tough centre back (if we need one, we don't though), Ex PSV, Cocu signed him.

Lazar Markovic - Was a flop at Liverpool, but he's only 25 and he's quick and maybe Championship is his level?

Heinz Linder - Don't know much about him but his first names Heinz and he's a 'keeper.. Perfect way to integrate a chant about beans.

Hatem Ben Arfa - Imagine.. Most likely impossible but an AM who can play on the wing too, skillful, got a decent shot on him. 32 so a bit old but oh well.

Bakary Sako - Quite a good player at this level I personally feel... but wages could be a problem.

In all honesty theres plenty of quality players available on a free, remember when we signed Joe Ledley?

Its a risk worth taking, to me..

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Maybe, and maybe I'm going out on a limb here, Cocu didn't want any of those players and you're being a tad dramatic.

After the Kieftenbeld saga two years ago I get fed up with having to wait until transfer deadline day. It smacks of dis-organization. If you identify a player you feel is a good fit, negotiate the deal. get him to do pre-season with you so you know he is fit and understands the team philosophy and start the season with him in your team not on the bench of someone else's team. Or is that too difficult?

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

After the Kieftenbeld saga two years ago I get fed up with having to wait until transfer deadline day. It smacks of dis-organization. If you identify a player you feel is a good fit, negotiate the deal. get him to do pre-season with you so you know he is fit and understands the team philosophy and start the season with him in your team not on the bench of someone else's team. Or is that too difficult?

Disorganisation from which end? How do you know we're the problem? Other clubs could be waiting on replacements etc. Silly to rush to blame the club without context. 

51 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It was clear weeks ago that he wasn't returning to Rangers on loan. Why didn't we sign him? Liverpool have had three wingers who weren't going to make the first team squad-Ojo-gone to Rangers, Kent-transferred to Leeds ,and Wilson -Bournemouth on loan, and we have waited until today not to sign any of them!

Seriously give yourself a day off.

Do you really think that if Cocu wants a player and the transfer is realistic, that we have left it until the last day?

You do realise that there is a high likelihood that 90% of the players that we are linked with probably arent even on our radar?

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

That makes the vast majority of clubs dis-organised then. Cocu came into a club where pre-season preparations had been turned upside down so he's needed time to assess the existing squad and see where the weaknesses were.

Stop being such a drama queen - it's not doing you any good.

58 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It was clear weeks ago that he wasn't returning to Rangers on loan. Why didn't we sign him? Liverpool have had three wingers who weren't going to make the first team squad-Ojo-gone to Rangers, Kent-transferred to Leeds ,and Wilson -Bournemouth on loan, and we have waited until today not to sign any of them!

Rangers signed Ojo on 18-Jun, at a time when our manager situation was still up in the air.  Can't say we missed out on him, as it probably wasn't even an option.
Don't think we've missed out on Wilson, either.  The next step in his development is to play week-in/week-out in the Premier League (that would be my feeling if I was Klopp).  So again, I don't think was even an option for him to return to us this year.
On Kent, I can see your point, but given the outlay on Bielik, is the reported £7.5m+ for Kent a bit too much for us at this point?  

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Why are people hitting the panic button already? Blimey, have a beer and relax. Panic at 16:55 when we haven't signed anyone but it’s a bit early yet

Weird to see the bed wetting isn't it considering, we just signed Wayne Rooney, we won our opening game, we have a world class coach and our record signing is being integrated into the team. 

Archived