Your instant memories

Mostyn6

I know its a downer but Hinton missing that penalty against Juve in the Euro cup semi will always haunt me,my whole world collapsed then.

However the Chelsea and Everton wins in the league cup a few seasons earlier had me walking on sunshine.Many memories since then of course.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

I think you will find it was George who scored from Hector's pass, Hector didn't score that game.  Also the game versus Chelsea 1968? when we won 3-1 and the BBG was louder than anything I had heard before or after.

You're right. I stand corrected. Everyone should watch this:

https://youtu.be/ExHQcAvlJJU

(YouTube wont allow embedding of the video - maybe it's so good they want the advertising revenue)

Leeds play off semi final at Elland Road, had to have the day off work to recover. 

Pearson falling over and scoring at Wembley, cue me falling over and screaming YES YA GINGER BARSTEWARD!

Pesch and the coffee cup goal.

Idiakez free kick vs Leeds I think. Asked the ref if he could take it quick (before the rules changed), curls into the corner. Great underrated goal.

Not to derail @Mostyn6 topic too much, but older fans of the forum I'm curious...those of you that have seen Derby crowned champions of England, do you feel that with what you have witnessed, you have a more negative outlook on the current team, where we are and what football has become?

Dare I say spoilt a little.

I just find it it interesting that your instant memories are of Hinton, George, Hector and co, if these memories are so fresh in your mind, "instant", despite 30/40 years of football since, it does make me wonder if seeing the likes of Tom Lawrence signed for several million stings a little, to the point where he might possibly not be judged fairly in todays game, todays market?

This isn't to mock you as I'm also starting to feel the years of watching football, struggling to get my head around bids of £20m+ for the likes of Webster at Bristol City. 

I haven't seen us reach the heights of Champions of England, but I have seen us in the top half of the Premier League under Jim Smith briefly which makes it a little hard to watch clubs such as Burnley and Bournemouth come from nowhere and stay in the top flight for a number of seasons.

No disrespect meant towards those 2 clubs, they fully deserve to be where they are today, but the mild irritation still exists yet the heights were never as great as what some of you saw.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Not to derail @Mostyn6 topic too much, but older fans of the forum I'm curious...those of you that have seen Derby crowned champions of England, do you feel that with what you have witnessed, you have a more negative outlook on the current team, where we are and what football has become?

We also lived through the dark Division 3 days in the 80s  so it's not all been rosy.

Things have changed massively....the Premier League and Sky money, for me anyway, have ruined football. It's not the same game anymore.

I confess I was glad that Leicester won the league in the face of the big 6 or whatever it is (only Leicester fans see a rivalry with Derby anyway, I generally feel indifferent towards them).

But the game (dare I say "business") of football has evolved over time, so it allows you to adapt, change your expectations and adapt.

I cannot see Derby ever winning the top division again - sometimes I fear I won't even see them in the top flight again during my lifetime.

But, every generation of supporters have highs and lows for their club. Supporters of Derby born before me had the FA Cup victory, those after me the Arthur Cox years and then the Jim Smith years. Last year was great - and the victory over Leeds especially sweet for those of the 60s/70s generation.

Enough rambling, I am really looking forward to this season under Cocu. Let's hope we create new memories. UTR.

One last thought......how must the players of the 70s feel seeing the millionaire kids of today??

My favourite player of all time, Kevin Hector, became a postman.

Charlie George  - was it one England cap, Zak only got two I think. And now.....Sheesh!

Sorry, @David you got me started.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

One last thought......how must the players of the 70s feel seeing the millionaire kids of today??

Charlie George  - was it one England cap, Zak only got two I think. And now.....Sheesh!

John ohare was my aunts Pearl insurance man in Ockbrook

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm guessing in those days transfer fees never became a topic for conversation, players were judged on what they did and didn't do on the pitch  down the pub after a game, all without the X million price tag of expectation and social media whipping fans into a frenzy.

Franny Lee thumping Norman Hunter.

Steve Buckley almost bursting the net with a free kick.

Steve Cherry waiving at the ball against Pmymouth.

Igor cutting out a pass, running forward, beating two players and clipping an inch perfect pass to Dean Sturridge. 

Johnny Russell's goal against Forest.

Jack Marriott's goal v Leeds

21 minutes ago, David said:

I'm guessing in those days transfer fees never became a topic for conversation, players were judged on what they did and didn't do on the pitch  down the pub after a game, all without the X million price tag of expectation and social media whipping fans into a frenzy.

I'm not sure that's true. I think transfer fees have always been a topic of conversation. It's just that they have scaled.

Archived