Your instant memories

Mostyn6

Every now and then, somebody posts a clip of Marriott's chip over the Leeds 'keeper on Twitter and I have to watch (and listen) a few times. It does give me a nice warm tingle in my loins!

I put it in my top 3 most memorable moments as a Derby fan, which then got me thinking which things I recall quickly when thinking about my times as a Derby fan, and without over-reaching, my instant memories are:-

- Hughes dink to Bent, and Bent's volley vs Wolves away

- Ward taking the ball after the Forest player (Cohen) hurt his knee, and running up the left wing, before weaving into the box and slotting it in.

- Addison's power header against Forest which Atwell disallowed. I was tipped backward over my seat celebrating, when I stood up, Forest had the ball!!

I'd be interested what comes to mind instantly for you lot, if it takes you minutes to think, then it's NOT instant.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

It's weird. My life revolves around football and Derby County but when i consult my brain for an instant memory... absolutely nothing.brain thoughts GIF

okay, look at it this way, if you had to show me a clip on Youtube, what would the clip be of?

20 minutes ago, superzak said:

Alan Hintons strike Against Arsenal in the 5 -0 thrashing and charlie Georges goal against Real Madrid and Bruce Riochs free kick against Newcastle and oh well i could go on forever lol

We're from the same generation ?

I would have said Kevin Hector's in the same 4-2 quarter final cup win against Newcastle, following the flick by Charlie George. Sublime goal.

Also the Franny Lee-Norman Hunter "disagreement".

Roger Davies, away at Chelsea, dribbling the full length of the pitch, going round the goalie, then tripping over and kicking the ball out for a goal kick.

The Archie Gemmill freekick in the 2-0 cup win.

Jon Stead missing with a shot, in warm up, away at Luton and hitting a young girl smack in the face

Drunk block in the Popside dropped his pie on the floor in the urinals, picked it up, shook it a bit and carried on eating it

Getting thrown out of the C-stand coz my two Arsenal friends stupidly stood up when Merson scored. You can't believe how humiliating it is getting kicked out from your own ground for being a Gooner

But my most abiding football memory - coming over the top of the steps at my first Derby evening game, into the Leys Stand, it was Roger Davies testimonial against Stoke in about 1975 (we won 2-0). The lights, the smell, the colours, the sounds - I knew I was in this for life.

20 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I would have said Kevin Hector's in the same 4-2 quarter final cup win against Newcastle, following the flick by Charlie George. Sublime goal.

Roger Davies, away at Chelsea, dribbling the full length of the pitch, going round the goalie, then tripping over and kicking the ball out for a goal kick.

i was at that chelsea away game..i was stood near the front and they had sand around the perimeter of the pitch and the damn stuff kept blowing in my eyes. I can only presume this is what happened to Roger lol

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Mason mount.... Keogh again

Ooh and a chance for Marriott once more....

He's done it!

(I'll never forget those iconic words. Best moment as a Derby fan for me)

Listening back, the Radio Derby commentary is great too. Just as Keogh wins it off Bamford, Dawes shouts ‘they’re dead on their feet, Leeds!’ We all know what happened a few seconds later.

59 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I think you will find it was George who scored from Hector's pass, Hector didn't score that game.  Also the game versus Chelsea 1968? when we won 3-1 and the BBG was louder than anything I had heard before or after.

Leeds away in play offs - cant pick a moment the whole game was an emotional roller coaster.

Ward v Forest - Scoring a class goal and celebrating in front of the Forest fans (He was on EMT the day before saying "i hope i can stick one in the back of the net in front of there fans").

Man U when we won on Penalty's - Great game and what a goal by Wilson, great night for DCFC.

"Bamford picks up a loose ball... Bamford against one man, Bamford against two men... Here's Hendrick... Hendrick's through..."  (5-0 deforestation vid with Radio Derby Commo).

JR's rocket in the same deforestation.  Being sat in the NE corner, I saw it leave his foot, and actually saw into the future, as I knew exactly where it would end up!   You Beauty!  

Sir Jake's last second winner that seemed to take an age to trickle over the line!  Time actually stood still for a few seconds to allow such a glorious moment to embed itself in the minds of all that witnessed it!  LOL!

The "Idiakez" chant ringing around the ground after he skied his play-off peno against us.  I nearly bust a lung getting that going (it was a long night!), but a very proud moment indeed, once you lot finally joined in!  ;-)

Turning all the BBG lights off, then a single spotlight concentrating solely on Gladys, as he came out of the tunnel for his testimonial.

I'd missed the majority of his career, but saw enough towards the end to recognise a legend, and that grand entrance was nothing short of poignant and spectacular in equal measure!  

Archived