v Huddersfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day
Message added by Day

2 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I think we’ll be well beaten in this one. These are no mugs

52 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I concur with your concerns @Warren Hobhead; I think we’ll get a bit of a bloody nose tonight. 

I haven't been worried about Huddersfield since 1925. They're crap. We'll hammer them. Chill your boots x

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

I haven't been worried about Huddersfield since 1925. They're crap. We'll hammer them. Chill your boots x

I have absolute faith in your prognostications @Pastinaakand in no way shall I refer back to your ebullient confidence in the hugely unlikely happenstance that you are proved to be wholly fallible and utterly incapable of sensing likely danger. ?

No idea why people think this Huddersfield team are going to annihilate us. Maybe they will, but they have virtually the same squad that only performed marginally better last year than our record breaking team. There only major additions have been the perm signing of a winger who scored an absolute hat full of one goal last season (on loan for them) in the Prem who doesn't even have a conversion rate to match Tom Lawrence despite playing most of his career so far in the pub leagues over in France and a midfielder who scored a few goals for Forest Green Rovers in league 2 last year. They haven't exactly spent big strengthening that team.

Expecting a tight, messy game. Full of rust. Probably a draw.

Huddersfield have to be the favourites, of course; but I look forward to the early wrist slashing posts if they win.

Although if Derby comfortably win I can only imagine the level of overconfidence that will generate on here ? 

23 minutes ago, GenBr said:

No idea why people think this Huddersfield team are going to annihilate us. Maybe they will, but they have virtually the same squad that only performed marginally better last year than our record breaking team. There only major additions have been the perm signing of a winger who scored an absolute hat full of one goal last season (on loan for them) in the Prem who doesn't even have a conversion rate to match Tom Lawrence despite playing most of his career so far in the pub leagues over in France and a midfielder who scored a few goals for Forest Green Rovers in league 2 last year. They haven't exactly spent big strengthening that team.

I love this level of confidence and leadership. 

15 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Haha. I like the sponsor but not the picture for two reasons. One because the man seems like an arrogant bar steward. I'm no huge fan of James Corden but Stewart came across as a condescending, snide, snobby rick in this clip:

And second, he's bald.

There's history between them too cuz Stewart called corden out for being overweight and talentless from a platform one night. 

1 hour ago, Anna said:

Apologies if this has been covered, did a search but it didn't seem to surface anything. Where is good to park for the game tonight please?

When ive been to Huddersfield i have parked in a relatively large car park down a road towards the ground but it seems like they have now built on that land and the car park is in use for the Uni however it may still be in use on Match days, I have also parked in Turnbridge WMC on St Andrews Road, get there early to guarantee a place being free, both are pay to park!

I would aim to get there an hour early or even earlier as Huddersfield centre is traffic light central. if you park up and have time free there is a pub open to both sets of fans placed canal side just down the road from the car parks which does good food etc.

Should be a Travel Agent......

1 hour ago, Kamikaze said:

Can see it being this...

Roos

Bogle Keogh Evans Malone

Thud

Dowell Shinnie

Flojo Waghorn Lawrence.

I wouldn't play Huddlestone away from home unless forced to do so. He doesn't suit away games in which we need to be defensively sound, he doesn't work hard enough off the ball.

Bielik and Clarke have to play for me, physical presence and can both play football.

29 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

There's history between them too cuz Stewart called corden out for being overweight and talentless from a platform one night. 

That just solidifies my opinion on Stewart. What's he gaining from publicly humiliating an (at the time) up and coming entertainer? No matter your opinion on Corden, at least he's proved Stewart wrong (although he did achieve success after he lost weight).

17 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I wouldn't play Huddlestone away from home unless forced to do so. He doesn't suit away games in which we need to be defensively sound, he doesn't work hard enough off the ball.

Bielik and Clarke have to play for me, physical presence and can both play football.

I agree re: Clarke and Bielik ...but fully expect them to be benchers tonight. 

I really hope PC plays Clarke and Bielik.

We really need to be more solid this season, particularly away from home.

Roos

Bogle      Keogh         Clarke          Malone

Bielik

Dowell             Shinnie

Bennett     Waghorn      Lawrence

If Marriott was fit I would love to see the system altered to accommodate him and Waghorn as a front 2

Roos

Bogle      Keogh         Clarke          Malone

Bennett    Shinnie        Bielik           Lawrence

Waghorn      Marriott

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

An uptick seems scant reward for an excellent post........................now where’s that underrated posters thread!?

Would like to see the new lads start tonight, absolutely buzzing for the match, its all ive thought about all weekend to the displeasure of the Mrs ?

Roos

bogle keogh clarke lowe

bielik

Dowell              shinnie

bennett             lawrence

Waghorn

Huddersfield look to have had a decent pre-season.

Kept most of the team that came down, which was out of it's depth in the Premier League, but I can see the likes of Mooy standing out again back in the championship.

Their incomings seem to be mostly lower league gambles or unknown imports.  Their big problem last season was a lack of goals and I'm not sure they've addressed that.

Still, no doubt they will look to put a show on in front of their home crowd and the TV cameras, and I'm not sure we are enough of a unit yet for this to be a classed as a good opportunity to get 3 points on the board.

The horrendous opening I saw back in June doesn't look so bad now, although it's still a tough month or 2, none of the sides have strengthened much, so it's more a case of tricky rather than impossible games. We'll muddle through with the usual mix of wins, losses and draws early season throws up until we land a bit of form. Whatever the outcome tonight it's not time to declare ourselves title favourites, slit our wrists, go out and get a player tattoo or write another one off.

Based on pre-season I'd expect:

Roos

Bogle, Keogh, Evans (too soon for Clarke?/Evans deserves a chance), Malone

Huddlestone, Bielik

Bennett, Dowell, Lawrence

Waghorn

I'd say Jozefzoon has a case to start as he was decent in parts of pre-season. I think his tracking back would be advantageous compared to Lawrence drifting around.  Would also choose Shinnie for a bit of extra bite, but I'm not sure Cocu is a fan.

Pre-season seemed a partially wasted shambles, weather and Chelsea aside, we seemed to be a game short and too many fringe players got far more pitch time than we've seen in recent years , hopefully things have clicked at Moor farm over the past week.

Archived