v Huddersfield Town (A) Match Thread

David
Message added by David

Watch out fer folk wiv west Yorkshire look on Monday neet... they have protruding bottom jawlines..... bloody frightening...... when I wa ova  that way fer a pigeon club neet they scared mi prize bod  ta death wi it... I'll be there on Monday wi sun cloves of garlic and sum teeth braces fer em .

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Cocu wants to win the first game. The dude don't like losing football matches.

I think not playing until Monday and with these two likely as fit as any of the other players, they're likely to go straight in. Harsh on Evans who I like at centreback, but Cocu has picked Keogh as captain and we've not been keeping clean sheets preseason.

I posted a team in the 4-3-3 thread but I don't think Holmes is fit and I'm not sure about Marriott, so for this first game I'm happy to wait until 18:45 on Monday to see what the first competitive team looks like. Bring it on!

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think not playing until Monday and with these two likely as fit as any of the other players, they're likely to go straight in. Harsh on Evans who I like at centreback, but Cocu has picked Keogh as captain and we've not been keeping clean sheets preseason.

I posted a team in the 4-3-3 thread but I don't think Holmes is fit and I'm not sure about Marriott, so for this first game I'm happy to wait until 18:45 on Monday to see what the first competitive team looks like. Bring it on!

Yep put the new boys straight in. I'll be disappointed if either of them don't start on Monday.

I know Jack Marriott has a 4 ball booked in at Morley Hayes at 9am, just depends if he can be arsed with a game of footie after that and a few beers after. Hope so. 

I would frigging love it if, without prior announcement, Harry Wilson is on the team sheet... imagine that! Is that too fairytale?

I’m not sure Cocu will change the team yet, even with the new boys coming in fit and healthy. A lot of work on his tactics will have happened over pre season, so new players will take time to learn them. I would start Bielik at least, but I can see the team being similar to Rangers on Monday

Back 5 as expected (Evans at CB)

Shinnie in middle with Hudds and Dowell

FloJo Lawrence and Waggers

Subs - Mitchell, Clarke, Bird/Youngster, Bielik, Bennett, Anya, Marriott/Martin

23 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I’m not sure Cocu will change the team yet, even with the new boys coming in fit and healthy. A lot of work on his tactics will have happened over pre season, so new players will take time to learn them. I would start Bielik at least, but I can see the team being similar to Rangers on Monday

All new signings are fit somI think that if Cocu had a ruthless streak about winning games then all four will play against Udders field.other so called top teams faltered at the first hurdle yesterday so.an early three points

30 minutes ago, Rampage said:

All new signings are fit somI think that if Cocu had a ruthless streak about winning games then all four will play against Udders field.other so called top teams faltered at the first hurdle yesterday so.an early three points

It’s not just about being match fit. How quickly can they adapt to the way Cocu wants?

48 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I understand your thinking and it has been ‘the Derby way’ to stick with the tried and trusted but I can’t see any way Cocu would pick Tom over a £10 million pound player.

I also wonder whether Cocu has seen enough of Tom Lawrence to know he’s not a battler which is often what’s needed away from home. Bennett might just get the nod.

Finally, Huddersfield are pretty good in the air and having a top header of the ball on the bench seems a waste.

I guess what I’m saying is that you may well be right but it wouldn’t in my opinion be our strongest ream for this fixture.

7 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Yep put the new boys straight in. I'll be disappointed if either of them don't start on Monday.

I know Jack Marriott has a 4 ball booked in at Morley Hayes at 9am, just depends if he can be arsed with a game of footie after that and a few beers after. Hope so. 

I would frigging love it if, without prior announcement, Harry Wilson is on the team sheet... imagine that! Is that too fairytale?

Jack Marriott- the great mystery- is he fit or not ?

oh wilson won’t be signed for Huddersfield but I remain optimistic about the Swansea game

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I understand your thinking and it has been ‘the Derby way’ to stick with the tried and trusted but I can’t see any way Cocu would pick Tom over a £10 million pound player.

I also wonder whether Cocu has seen enough of Tom Lawrence to know he’s not a battler which is often what’s needed away from home. Bennett might just get the nod.

Finally, Huddersfield are pretty good in the air and having a top header of the ball on the bench seems a waste.

I guess what I’m saying is that you may well be right but it wouldn’t in my opinion be our strongest ream for this fixture.

I'd play both the new signings after the lacklustre performance from the established players at Rangers. Cocu said he didn’t want players feeling comfortable in their positions and they need to be challenged.  Show them that from the start, then.

Strangely enough, I would probably still start Lawrence, though, as he seems to perform better generally away from home. More room to play in when we're on the break maybe. Use Bennett in the impact sub role that he excels at.

Feel a bit sorry for Evans as he has been one of the better players pre-season. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I think whilst your right, I think some times it's worth weighing up the effect that immediately picking two players who haven't trained with the rest of the squad. Picking them now basically says to Huddlestone and Evans (assuming that's who they come in for) that they are firmly second choice, which risks damaging squad moral. 

Or alternatively a ruthless selection off the back of the rangers game might kick everyone in to gear. Ultimately I think with situations like this you have to trust the decision the manager makes.

43 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'd play both the new signings after the lacklustre performance from the established players at Rangers. Cocu said he didn’t want players feeling comfortable in their positions and they need to be challenged.  Show them that from the start, then.

Strangely enough, I would probably still start Lawrence, though, as he seems to perform better generally away from home. More room to play in when we're on the break maybe. Use Bennett in the impact sub role that he excels at.

Feel a bit sorry for Evans as he has been one of the better players pre-season. 

Fair comments and Lawrence is the one we hope can produce something good unfortunately he rarely does which Cocu may well find out in a few months

7 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Is this fella playing for them?

image.jpg

Make it so 

I think Bielik will start but Evans seems to have done well in pre-season so Clarke might have to settle for a place on the bench.  It’s an interesting game because there’s the balance of keeping it tight away from home but they could still be low on confidence after last season - we know the effect it had on us - so we could attack them early.  I’d go for

Roos

Bogle Keogh Evans Malone

Shinnie Bielik Dowell

Bennett Waghorn Lawrence

Archived