Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not good enough at defending

Even though statistically Lowe makes more tackles than any other defender every game (and it's not even a little bit close), if Lowe isn't good enough at defending, none of our defenders are.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Even though statistically Lowe makes more tackles than any other defender every game (and it's not even a little bit close), if Lowe isn't good enough at defending, none of our defenders are.

I don't disagree with you, but we both know there's more to defending than simply tackling.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I don't disagree with you, but we both know there's more to defending than simply tackling.

Agreed, but it was the easiest way to make my point off the top of my head. Max Lowe is certainly not bad at defending, and I think anyone claiming that is being very unfair. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Agreed, but it was the easiest way to make my point off the top of my head. Max Lowe is certainly not bad at defending, and I think anyone claiming that is being very unfair. 

I think he needs to improve his positioning at times, and certainly his decision making when it comes to when to bomb on and went not to. Unfortunately for him, he's only ever going to be so tall so it's important for him.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think he needs to improve his positioning at times, and certainly his decision making when it comes to when to bomb on and went not to. Unfortunately for him, he's only ever going to be so tall so it's important for him.

He could improve, but I think over this year he has improved. And he's put some credible performances in a right back too. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He could improve, but I think over this year he has improved. And he's put some credible performances in a right back too. 

His versatility at right back has been a huge positive, especially when he's very left footed..

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

What about stopping crosses? What about defending crosses at the back post?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

The best defenders make the fewest tackles. 

They don't have to. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

The best defenders make the fewest tackles. 

They don't have to. 

That's a nonsense soundbite. Maybe if you're Maldini or Van Dijk, in the Championship the more tackles you make the better. 

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He's fine at all that. Better than our other fullbacks defensively. 

Have to agree to disagree. If we want to be pushing for promotion we need better. Look at how good Henry at Brentford and Bryan at Fulham are...Lowe is nowhere near that level...

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That's a nonsense soundbite. Maybe if you're Maldini or Van Dijk, in the Championship the more tackles you make the better. 

Positional sense and anticipation are found in all levels of football, albeit to varying degrees. 

By your method, Lowe is by far the best defender in the Championship.

He isn't. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Have to agree to disagree. If we want to be pushing for promotion we need better. Look at how good Henry at Brentford and Bryan at Fulham are...Lowe is nowhere near that level...

Crosses blocked per 90:
Lowe - 0.7
Bryan - 0.7
Henry - 0.8

Statistically he's roughly on par with them in that regard

He also blocks more shots per 90 (0.4 vs. 0.2/0.3), blocks more passes per 90 (1 vs. 0.7/0.8) and makes more interceptions per 90 (1.9 vs. 1.3/1.2) than both of them

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The Bryan that Fulham fans were calling out a few months ago for being rubbish? He's on a better team, but he's not a better player. If you're highlighting Bryan as a top level left back, it tells me you've not watched much of Fulham.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The Bryan that Fulham fans were calling out a few months ago for being rubbish? He's on a better team, but he's not a better player. If you're highlighting Bryan as a top level left back, it tells me you've not watched much of Fulham.

Watched plenty of them thanks. If you think Lowe is in the same league as those two I suggest you book an eye test ?

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Watched plenty of them thanks. If you think Lowe is in the same league as those two I suggest you book an eye test ?

All the stats suggest it, even in the worse side - clearly you know better though.

22 minutes ago, sage said:

Positional sense and anticipation are found in all levels of football, albeit to varying degrees. 

By your method, Lowe is by far the best defender in the Championship.

He isn't. 

Agree, he is average at best in a lot of key aspects of being a defender ?

Up to the midway point of the season Lowe was getting lots of praise and saying he’s a new man.Some even tipped him for POTY award.  He’s barely played since then and he’s now suddenly not good enough. His stats are up there with the best fullbacks defensively. However his forward play needs a lot of work. Lowe is a good player and we should keep him and start him next season. 

2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Up to the midway point of the season Lowe was getting lots of praise and saying he’s a new man.Some even tipped him for POTY award.  He’s barely played since then and he’s now suddenly not good enough. His stats are up there with the best fullbacks defensively. However his forward play needs a lot of work. Lowe is a good player and we should keep him and start him next season. 

Agree that we should be looking to start him. Not a kid anymore, should be at the stage where a starting spot should be his aim. Forsyth is great to have around the place with his versatility and usual dependability, but he should be being phased into a bench role these days. Malone needs to leave.

Archived