Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

Would love him back. Him and Te Wierik (Left Foot and right Foot). Good on the ground, good in the air. 

I'd prefer not to have another completely brand new centre back pairing.

If Brighton keep Dunk and stay up, we have a better chance of keeping Clarke.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It would be good to get him back, definitely, although I highly doubt we would be in a position to sign him permanently and I don't know if Brighton would be open to another loan. He's not been as progressive or impactful as Tomori, but he's been pretty good for us on the whole. 

I'd say he is a good quality Championship defender. You wouldn't have though he would have done enough to make Brighton think he's ready for their first team though.

With so much unknown, stability is going to be huge next season. Think that’s why we’re looking to just bring back as many people as possible, even the likes of Huddlestone who probably be leaving if it wasn’t for COVID.

While he’s definitely not Tomori, I think that probably helps us. He’s not so good that Brighton will be desperate to have him back, if they do send him on loan to us again it’s because that’s the best way to maintain his value (as opposed to sitting on their bench) or prove he can play well enough to be in their team.

Don’t think it’s completely unlikely he’s back next season.

Put yourself in Brighton's shoes for a moment. If they stay up they will still have the money to be in the green, even with outlay in the last transfer window prem money will be fine. 

They've got 3 options really:

Keep Clarke and play him next season: unlikely given the players they have and he hasn't shown a full season at championship level. 

Sell him: given what they paid for him, little to no chance a championship club would even give them what they already paid, this will be a summer of freebies. 

Loan him: most likely plus pretty much guaranteed game time for us next season with the lack of CBs. Keeps his value and may become permanent next summer. 

23 hours ago, rammieib said:

Would love him back. Him and Te Wierik (Left Foot and right Foot). Good on the ground, good in the air. 

I'd prefer not to have another completely brand new centre back pairing.

If Brighton keep Dunk and stay up, we have a better chance of keeping Clarke.

19 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Put yourself in Brighton's shoes for a moment. If they stay up they will still have the money to be in the green, even with outlay in the last transfer window prem money will be fine. 

They've got 3 options really:

Keep Clarke and play him next season: unlikely given the players they have and he hasn't shown a full season at championship level. 

Sell him: given what they paid for him, little to no chance a championship club would even give them what they already paid, this will be a summer of freebies. 

Loan him: most likely plus pretty much guaranteed game time for us next season with the lack of CBs. Keeps his value and may become permanent next summer. 

It might work in our favour that, by all accounts, Ben White has been absolutely outstanding for Leeds this season. You'd imagine Clarke will be behind him in the pecking order going into next season.

Clarke has been ok but average for a championship centre back - if he was cheap and his wages were cheap then it makes sense to try to get him but I suspect he wouldn’t be cheap especially from a premiership club as it stands 

In my opinion I think Clarke is quite underrated. He seems to be our most solid defender and during the time he was out after the Forest game it looked like we missed him. Would love to have him back as he’s still young. A back line of wisdom (if we sell Bogle), ter wierek , Clarke, Lowe is very good for next season.

7 hours ago, Dcfc_20 said:

In my opinion I think Clarke is quite underrated. He seems to be our most solid defender and during the time he was out after the Forest game it looked like we missed him. Would love to have him back as he’s still young. A back line of wisdom (if we sell Bogle), ter wierek , Clarke, Lowe is very good for next season.

Swap Lowe for Fozzy and you may be onto something. Only opinion of course.

16 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Swap Lowe for Fozzy and you may be onto something. Only opinion of course.

Love fozzy but just feel for the future it may be better to stick with Lowe as he’s only 21 and has performed well this season plus Forsyth will most likely be leaving/retiring end of next season.

7 hours ago, Dcfc_20 said:

Love fozzy but just feel for the future it may be better to stick with Lowe as he’s only 21 and has performed well this season plus Forsyth will most likely be leaving/retiring end of next season.

I see your point but I still don’t think we can play Lowe and Bogle together. Totally upsets the balance of the defence. I think all round Fozzy is much better, he may not be the future but definitely the best of what we have. It is all about opinions though and that’s what I love about this forum the fact there are so many differences of opinion. As long as we progress in the right manner I’m happy with whoever pulls on the shirt. 

Bogle and Lowe are undoubtedly young players with a lot of potential. But it'd be hard to argue that a back 4 of Wisdom, te Wierik, Clarke (if he comes back on loan) and Forsyth wasn't our strongest defence when everyone's fit. Wisdom and Forsyth are both a lot stronger defensively and can both cross a ball, which are parts of the game that, in my opinion, both Bogle and Lowe need to work on.

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I see your point but I still don’t think we can play Lowe and Bogle together. Totally upsets the balance of the defence. I think all round Fozzy is much better, he may not be the future but definitely the best of what we have. It is all about opinions though and that’s what I love about this forum the fact there are so many differences of opinion. As long as we progress in the right manner I’m happy with whoever pulls on the shirt. 

Completely agree! Think Bogle may be sold to bring up funds so wisdom could play at right back next season.

6 hours ago, Dcfc_20 said:

Completely agree! Think Bogle may be sold to bring up funds so wisdom could play at right back next season.

Absolutely- I think that was the plan - but cough cough - covid May have changed that 

9 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Bogle and Lowe are undoubtedly young players with a lot of potential. But it'd be hard to argue that a back 4 of Wisdom, te Wierik, Clarke (if he comes back on loan) and Forsyth wasn't our strongest defence when everyone's fit. Wisdom and Forsyth are both a lot stronger defensively and can both cross a ball, which are parts of the game that, in my opinion, both Bogle and Lowe need to work on.

Lol! You've got that the wrong way around. Bogle is streets ahead of Wisdom in all respects.

Can’t see him having a future at Brighton, they have Dunk and Duffy. They paid £20m for Webster and he can’t get in and then Ben White is ripping it up at Leeds and arguably been best CB in the championship this season. Clarke is behind all of those in the pecking order.

I think we’ve got a good chance of signing whether it be another loan or permanent. Guessing it will be a loan given we won’t be throwing money around on transfers

• 1 month later...

Archived