Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like Tomori last season the Championship has been a learning curve for Clarke.  He's beginning to show consistently against middle to bottom of the table opposition and over the course of the rest of the season I'm sort of expecting him to show that consistency against better sides.

For me the Premier League is another step up though and given that I'm not sure he replaces either of the starting Brighton CB's next season.  Maybe he's happy with that but there's also an argument for him to commit here as a first choice with the hope of reaching the PL as a stalwart of the Rams defence (and yes we might not get there this season or next but equally Brighton may get relegated).

From a Rams perspective the better he gets (and the higher we climb the table), the greater the cost so I'd be making enquiries now to secure him or get a permanent option in the summer.

I like him.

He's come back better and it miles ahead of Forsyth at CB, competes for everything and makes good blocks. Seems to read the game quite well anticipating forward runs. He'll go on to play regularly for Brighton after this season I imagine.

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

He looks a lot better on the ball since returning from injury - like the guy

puts his head in where it hurts also - proper CH

trying to buy him a good idea - before his price massively inflates

We have stopped passing sideways between players who just can’t do that 

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

He looks a lot better on the ball since returning from injury - like the guy

puts his head in where it hurts also - proper CH

trying to buy him a good idea - before his price massively inflates

Absolutely mate 

young , likes to defend, room for improvement,

good on the ball 

Whats not to like 

• 4 weeks later...

For a young centre back to be as composed as he is ..I genuinely hope we can get him. Can’t help thinking he has come on quite a bit in these challenging times. If Bogle added a million to,his price with last nights strike I can’t help feeling Matts value has been creeping up with every game played. A young one being as consistent as he has been for us is a rare thing. 

Don’t think we have got the money to buy him.

Anyway we’re signing a Dutch lad as long as he agrees to speak English and have the word ‘foreigner’ stamped on his forehead.

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

He'd be a good permanent signing in the Summer but the little I've seen of Webster £20m!) has me wondering if they've let the wrong CB go out on loan and will want to hang on to him, barring a huge offer.

Webster is a lot better and quicker at this point 

Sometimes though clarke is a weak link for me. Hes very good but still has flaws. Hes not the quickest so gets caught out a few times especially at luton for the last goal and sometimes he jogs when he need to sprint. I would be happy to sign him permanently but wouldn't be in the mood of damn if we didnt. Even if we could get him on loan next season j would rather we got someone in permanently as we are just improving a player ti go back to another club instead we can concentrate on getting players sorted for the future who are here long term 

• 4 months later...

It would be good to get him back, definitely, although I highly doubt we would be in a position to sign him permanently and I don't know if Brighton would be open to another loan. He's not been as progressive or impactful as Tomori, but he's been pretty good for us on the whole. 

Archived